How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

8/10

Pyp and Grenn dying was unpredictable but unwanted. Why kill my guys :(
Tormunds' bear story getting cut off annoyed me as show tormund isn't the larger than life character he is in the books. He finally gets a chance to reveal one of his major lines which everyone remembers him for, and gets cut off.
Slynt hiding was an excellent addition, i was afraid he was going to die before the "fetch me a block"
Dolorous Edd needed some of his dry lines, was left lacking there.
Allister thorne was great. The scythe was awesome. Shame they didnt use more mammoths/giants but alas I guess the budget wouldn't allow it
No stannis!
Also minor tidbit- Was that three fingered hobb being a bad ass in the kitchens (That little scene got me so giddy) but it seems people have glossed over the small clip of THREE FINGER HOBB! casually walking out the kitchens with his butcher knife and making wilding stew. One of the most bad ass bits of the episode in my opinion!
I am not really a big fan of Jon Bradley (or of sam in general) but he shined tonight.

As others have said anti-climatic ending, but i was engrossed in the episode all the way through. Sure i may be pointing out way more bad points then good, but it was an enjoyable episode.

Edited by Jay Stark

This battle was way better done in the show then in the books because the attack was simultaneous.

I actually liked how the books did it. They fought the battles one by one and it showed Jon Snow's courage and leadership even though he was always in pain. On top of that, it showed how unorganized the wildings were even though they were under a King named Mance.

Is it safe to say the acting carried Blackwater above the action whereas the action seems to carry the Wall more than the acting?

Because as a book reader I can say that I care about a lot of these characters (Grenn why????????? :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:) but I swear, the show-only viewers probably have no one there to root for but Sam and Jon, plus Ghost who made one last-second CGI kill... I guess Gilly they probably can care about too. But really, compared to Blackwater, the characters just don't seem to hold up.

Is it safe to say the acting carried Blackwater above the action whereas the action seems to carry the Wall more than the acting?

Because as a book reader I can say that I care about a lot of these characters (Grenn why????????? :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:) but I swear, the show-only viewers probably have no one there to root for but Sam and Jon, plus Ghost who made one last-second CGI kill... I guess Gilly they probably can care about too. But really, compared to Blackwater, the characters just don't seem to hold up.

Don't agree. The viewers have had all of these characters since season 1...they care about them as much as the book readers do.

I would agree with this, although I thought John Bradley really shined in this episode.

Also, There's still Maester Aemon and Edd.

I agree. For blackwater you have this fascinating and quite important characters such as Tyrion, Cersei, Joffrey, Sandor, Stannis, Davos, Tywin (late) while TWotW had only two important characters.

I have one question for D&D. Why are they increasingly writing their own book? I can understand the changes that prolong a storyline of a character who viewers like and want to see more of them like Arya and the Hound, but I do not see ANY reason what-so-ever for the invention that was episode 9. It's dangerously inaccurate and it does NOTHING to better what GRRM has written. Why two simultaneous attacks? Why invented deaths? Why a pathetic death of Ygritte? Why, why, why? The books ARE written. They are best sellers. Why the need to needlessly rewrite them? This is NOT better than the original. It actually endangers the whole plot. This is ridiculous. 5/10 and I'm feeling generous.

Blackwater was top notch in its execution. Even with less budget than this ep, it was much more entertaining for me.

I think it's just that we had much more investment into the characters at KL, whereas at CB there was only really Jon and Sam (some people don't even like him) and thats about it. Since Aliser has been Jon's antagonist this whole season no one really wanted him to live. As for Pyp and Grenn, i loved their characters but they weren't really fleshed out in the series.

In terms of action this episode was better, but i think its complicated nature may have been its downfall. The battle of blackwater was much simpler, we had the ships and then men landing. Plus we also had the resolution to that episode, so that's probably what it was

I have one question for D&D. Why are they increasingly writing their own book? I can understand the changes that prolong a storyline of a character who viewers like and want to see more of them like Arya and the Hound, but I do not see ANY reason what-so-ever for the invention that was episode 9. It's dangerously inaccurate and it does NOTHING to better what GRRM has written. Why two simultaneous attacks? Why invented deaths? Why a pathetic death of Ygritte? Why, why, why? The books ARE written. They are best sellers. Why the need to needlessly rewrite them? This is NOT better than the original. It actually endangers the whole plot. This is ridiculous. 5/10 and I'm feeling generous.

Yea, I agree.

Maybe remove the Night's Watch attacking Craster's Keep and just have the Castle Black battles separate. And leave Craster's Keep to Coldhands. I think this would've been better.

I enjoyed the episode but killing so many characters who are still alive in the coming books makes me wonder whether D&D expect this to be the final season.

As cheesy as they were, Jon's final moments with Ygritte were well acted and a predictable departure from the novel.

Rating: 8 out of 10

Edited by storm.131

@sj4iy, I'm really not sure... go through all the facts we know about every night's watch member besides Jon and Sam. Show-only facts. The list is short. They may be familiar faces but I'm not sure if the effect is powerful.

Total praise to John Bradley though. Some lines I thought were cheesy, but delivered in such a Samwell way I liked them.

This might have been said here before but The Wildlings are so like the germanic barbarian tribes. Overall, i thought the siege was good but not that great and Grenn and Pyp was not supposed to die! D&D with their fuckery of shock value for the sake of shock value.

Actually, you know what irks me most about Grenn's death? We didn't see it. We didn't see a human/giant brawl fight. It's just like the season 2 end/season 3 beginning nonsense. Set up something big, go back to it when its over for... budget cuts, maybe? I feel like that proves Grenn's death was for shock value.

I voted 9.

I think the episode really needed to be longer, and I don't like the Stannis arrival being moved into the finale. I think the episode needed a proper conclusion, not a cliffhanger and I think there was too much focus on Sam and Gilly.

That all being said, it was very well directed and did great justice to the battle on obvious budget restrictions. Ultimately, though the blackwater is the better episode.