How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

They have a whole season 5 to deal with LS. Tyrion's actions and the outcome of the battle at the Wall are the real turning points of the story. Everything changes from there. LS would be great but at this point I rather have them concentrate on the important stuff instead of cramming everything together, which might ruin ALL those great moments. And they're already pushing it.

I would have thought LS would appear in the closing seconds of episode 10, or it would be a great way to begin or end Episode 1 of season 5, a Frey running and being caught and hung and the cloaked figure raising her head to reveal herself. I just hope it's at the end of the next episode.

Alright, I've thought about it all night and morning and I'm going with a 7. At first I wanted to go lower, maybe a 5 or 6, as sadly I do agree with many here that it was underwhelming, anticlimactic and only a bit trite. The fact that Stannis didn't show up bothered me at first, not because I like deviations from the books, but because I think of all the changes they have made, this was one I was expecting them to make for a while. So initially, the end left me feeling like I'd spent the time waiting for it to really develop, then being horribly sad when I realized it never does.

That being said, now that I've put together (more or less) how they seem to be moving forward with the finale, and I've garnered a bit of appreciation for the episode as a means to showcase the struggle of the Night's Watch (look at the episode's title, after all...) AND there were a handful of very entertaining moments, I would be lying if I said I wasn't entertained last night. So, a 7 from me, with cautious optimism for an epic finale...

Nictarion - MIssandei does indeed have a beautiful rack.

avis olba - I meant the Purple Wedding. My bad. In the novel, it's built up towards in two consecutive chapters before the Tyrion chapter they adapted, but the show cut a lot of its backdrop out, or unnecessarily condensed it, and and just lunged straight into the wedding feast. I'd happily have taken less time at The Wall in the current episode, though it worked in this episode's favour, to have had a full King's Landing episode for ep 2.

I will be content with watching you moaners defend D&D.

Can you try to add anything constructive or worthy of actual debate or are you going to litter this thread with pointless jabs at people whose opinions differ from your own? I know people are doing the same thing to you, but I haven't gone through a single page of the forum today without seeing your childish replies that add absolutely nothing to the conversation, but rather turn this board from intelligent discussion to pathetic badgering.

The whole battle for the Wall felt empty. 1 mammoth and two giants just looked comical. Some CGI could have went far. Dany gets thousands of Unsullied and tons of catapults yet Mance gets a few climbers and some chains.

I can see the frustration, but apparently even that takes a LOT of money to make, and they do mention that Mance has tons more giants and mammoths at his disposal and that this was a minor attack to test strength. I think people wanted the 100k vs NW battle in this episode (understandable, big battles are epic), but frankly that's not even how it happens in the books so I'm a bit confused about how people teeter from wanting purity to wanting something completely different.

They could have easily fit in some of the beginning of this ep in previous eps. Also the battle was underwhelming - was it shot well? Yes. Was it small and overhyped? Yes. Blackwater was far more epic - Wildfire > Fire, mammoth, giants. The music was better and the episode was so emotional and exciting. The ending was absolutely mesmerizing. Here the only emotions were from Sam, bunch of non important characters died and the ending was the worst Thrones ending ever.

Granted, we were more invested in the characters in Blackwater which made the in between scenes (Cercei, Sansa, Sandor, Tyrion) far better. But the action sequences were def better executed this time around... more coherent and tighter You got to actually see the sword fights.

I don't understand this. You know Mance only sent a small force to test the wall yet you simultaneously complain that there weren't 100k of them. The point is that even a small force almost broke through and defeated the NW, so they'll need a miracle to get through it, hence Jon going to assassinate Mance. The dialogue makes it clear, a preliminary force almost wins so they're going to get smashed if someone doesn't try to take out Mance, and this will just set up the future events that obviously I won't discuss in a no spoiler thread.

Read what I said, I didn't expect 100,000 to be attacking at that point, obviously, but what I did expect was a sense of 100,000 people hanging around somewhere. Given D&D's penchant for inventing scenes to supplement lack of p.o.v., I would have expected some kind of scene with Mance, and a huge CGI camp, like they sometimes do.

All punters have heard is "100,000" vs. "100", but that's telling not showing, and I should think 1 mammoth and a couple of giants (CGI anyway, so it would hardly have cost any more to have more - it's not like they're individually priced) plus a few Braveheart weapon-beaters, isn't going to cut it to give a sense of epicness.

Also, thinking further on the Stannis thing, I'm far from being a "Stannis lover" and I'm on record here as being baffled by all that stuff, but that he doesn't have his moment of glory as the one "king" who actually gives a toss about the events in the North, is annoying, even to someone who isn't a "Stannis lover".

Also, I've been a big fan of what D&D have done with the story on the whole, but this is the one episode this season where I think they've dropped the ball big time.

Can you try to add anything constructive or worthy of actual debate or are you going to litter this thread with pointless jabs at people whose opinions differ from your own? I know people are doing the same thing to you, but I haven't gone through a single page of the forum today without seeing your childish replies that add absolutely nothing to the conversation, but rather turn this board from intelligent discussion to pathetic badgering.

I have given proper reply to the Redriver who actually engaged me rather than resorting to name calling. I listed my reason clearly why i didn't appreciate this episode and why i hated their decision making process.

Edited by Stan the Man Baratheon

a perfect 10. one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. FINALLY the Wall gets its due.

I will passionately argue with anyone who undercuts the Wall as a place that doesn't matter because the politics down south don't matter at all compared to what Jon, Grenn, Allister, Tormund and the gang are dealing with. The Wall and its characters have meaning and purpose!

I will be content with watching you moaners defend D&D.

Yeah, I'm a "moaner". People like you on this forum take moaning to an insane level non-stop. Heck, it's pretty telling when the "nitpick" thread is longer each week than the "positive" thread. You people live to be sulky.

The whole battle for the Wall felt empty. 1 mammoth and two giants just looked comical. Some CGI could have went far. Dany gets thousands of Unsullied and tons of catapults yet Mance gets a few climbers and some chains.

Maybe extras are cheaper in Morocco than they are in Ireland. :dunno:

Yeah, I'm a "moaner". People like you on this forum take moaning to an insane level non-stop. Heck, it's pretty telling when the "nitpick" thread is longer each week than the "positive" thread. You people live to be sulky.

And you are contributing anything positive to the forums?

Read what I said, I didn't expect 100,000 to be attacking at that point, obviously, but what I did expect was a sense of 100,000 people hanging around somewhere. Given D&D's penchant for inventing scenes to supplement lack of p.o.v., I would have expected some kind of scene with Mance, and a huge CGI camp, like they sometimes do.

All punters have heard is "100,000" vs. "100", but that's telling not showing, and I should think 1 mammoth and a couple of giants (CGI anyway, so it would hardly have cost any more to have more - it's not like they're individually priced) plus a few Braveheart weapon-beaters, isn't going to cut it to give a sense of epicness.

Also, thinking further on the Stannis thing, I'm far from being a "Stannis lover" and I'm on record here as being baffled by all that stuff, but that he doesn't have his moment of glory as the one "king" who actually gives a toss about the events in the North, is annoying, even to someone who isn't a "Stannis lover".

Also, I've been a big fan of what D&D have done with the story on the whole, but this is the one episode this season where I think they've dropped the ball big time.

Well, wouldn't it be weird to just have 100,000 people gathering around watching the wall when they weren't planning on attacking, like they were just watching a movie? I suppose it would've been nice to show a GIANT group of wildlings but ultimately we don't see that in the book until Jon goes to treat with Mance anyways.

Stannis didn't lose any glory yet. Like Ran said, if you read the book you know this is exactly how it happens. The first siege is stopped by the NW, but inevitably they can no longer hold it, and Stannis comes and saves the day. At least wait until next week before claiming they took anything away from him...It hasn't happened yet!

They'll likely have Jon in Mance's Tent when Stannis arrives. They'll show maybe a minute or so of his soldiers riding in attacking with Stannis in the back doing his normal smirk. Mean while, I'll be laughing my ass off at the fact that this forum will once again be exploding into childish whining because "OMG, D&D hate stannis?!?"

It will be hilarious. :devil:

Actually they have portrayed Stannis as a fighter who personally leads battles from the front, so its very possible that he will be in the thick of the battle and might even defeat Mance mano a mano.

yeah if you never in your life watched historical action movie, you'll be crazy entertained

otherwise, it's like watching skyrim battle from spectator's perspective

This isn't a historical action movie (whatever that means).

Why was everyone surprised that Stannis didn't show up? In the book he didn't show up at the end of the first battle, so at least that part was faithful to the novel.

Mostly because we thought the entire battle at the wall would take place, not just one night given the solo treatment.

Also, looks like next week is actually 66 minutes long, a full 15 minutes longer than last night's. As this show is only 10 episodes long, I do wish they'd use the full hour alotment to tease out as much story as possible. More than enough story to add another 5-7 minutes per episode of character beats or set up (looking at you episode 8 prior to the fight).

I assume (probably fairly safely) that people voting 10 really enjoy the show, so it makes sense that they would continue to watch, no?

Generalize much, do you? I'm not a huge fan of the show, I don't hate it either. I liked this episode and I have disliked others