How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Stannis doesn't even appear, as others have pointed out, until after Jon leaves The Wall to look for the wildling camp. There was no space to fit him in, though it would have made a better ending if there was.

No, it wouldn't have. This episode was about the bravery of a few NW brothers holding the wall through impossible odds. Having Stannis ride in at the end and save the day would have distracted from that. The way D&D did it, we get both. We get the NW being heroic and next week, we'll get Stannis riding in to help. And I'm not a D&D apologist in the least. I mostly hate how little they've built up the wall, as it's my favorite locale in the books, but I completely agree with giving the NW their due for an episode without having some other entity rush in to save the day.

I don't understand all this talk of Stannis not arriving. He doesn't show up during the assault on Castle Black, as many others have said. This episode focused on that with a bit of the assault on the other side of the wall sprinkled in, obviously.

Anyway, I enjoyed the final twenty minutes of this well enough, even if not much of it made any sense. The action was as good as its ever been in the show. Makes me wish they had this sort of Budget for the Whispering Woods.

So many questions tho. Why sacrifice two Giants to try to get thru the gate? Why does the second giant charge in by himself? Where are the other wildlings? I understand this was a "probe" by Mance but even so... A few more men and the the gate would have been taken.

Where are all the other men of the NW? Are they really down to 100 dudes in this show? Who is manning the other castles? Are there no other gates thru the wall in the show version? How do you get smashed face first into an anvil, gush blood, and then walk away with everything intact? How does a little kid with a shitty bow kill a wilding with armor on? What happens to Thorne? He gets sliced a bit, two guys drag him off and he isn't seen or heard from again.

Meh, whatever. Enjoyable, if daft. Gave it a 6.

A 9. And I wish I could score it a 9.5. I have a few nitpicks but they are small. When Jon was fighting Styr, I honestly thought Ghost would come to help him finish off the Thenn. Too little Ghost altogether!!! The sex talk between Jon and Sam - why? And I completely agree with previous posters who argue that BlackWater had more fully fleshed out characters to care about, while the Battle for the Wall did not. And maybe that IS because the Kings Landing folks are played by more experienced actors (Dinklage, NCW, LH, C Dance and so on).

But as a reader, I always fancied the Wall, the Men of the Nights Watch, and the wildings so I was completely happy to have an entire episode set at the Wall. The siege was well done for television. Thought the scene of Grenn and the men reciting their vows while facing the giant was moving, as was Ygritte's death. Watching Jon Snow on his way to becoming the man is engaging. Loved the episode!

A message to all who are getting a little hot under the collar...

Why let an arbitrary number that somebody attributes to an episode of a TV show affect you so much? Just let it wash over you. Nothing is going to happen based on these ratings, you do know that right?

It's certainly not worth getting enraged over.

No, it wouldn't have. This episode was about the bravery of a few NW brothers holding the wall through impossible odds. Having Stannis ride in at the end and save the day would have distracted from that. The way D&D did it, we get both. We get the NW being heroic and next week, we'll get Stannis riding in to help. And I'm not a D&D apologist in the least. I mostly hate how little they've built up the wall, as it's my favorite locale in the books, but I completely agree with giving the NW their due for an episode without having some other entity rush in to save the day.

It's a good point, and I didn't think about it until people said it on here, that Stannis riding up makes this Blackwater Pt. 2. Honestly GRRM does the "In the nick of time" thing a bit too often so there's a chance that the Stannis ending would've seemed a bit convenient and too similar for non-readers.

I gave it an 8. I think there should have been more mammoths to make the battle feel more 'epic' like in the books. Also, I think Grenn should have been kept alive.

Keep in mind, this wasnt mance's main attack on the wall, just testing the defenses from the wildling side. But yes i agree that it would've been epic

A message to all who are getting a little hot under the collar...

Why let an arbitrary number that somebody attributes to an episode of a TV show affect you so much? Just let it wash over you. Nothing is going to happen based on these ratings, you do know that right?

It's certainly not worth getting enraged over.

Exactly.

Let's refrain from the personal attacks. So someone else liked/hated the episode. No big deal.

Submitted for your consideration, a careful analysis , such as one will find in Watchers on the Wall Episode Guide .

I love Myles McNutt's essays on the episodes it is a fine supplement to the excellent observations of the captains of this web site.

http://cultural-learnings.com/2014/06/08/game-of-thrones-the-watchers-on-the-wall/#more-7949

It's already been picked up for at least 2 more seasons. The characters that died were just merely not important to the story.

Important does not have to be defined in terms of how crucial a character is to the plot. As is evidenced by the number of people here who expressed their disappointment that Grenn and Pyp were killed off, they were important to a lot of viewers.

I don't really take an interest in what happens behind the scenes regarding whether the series has been picked up for more seasons but will take your word for it. I hope D&D don't continue to kill off the minor characters who add to the rich fabric of Westeros and Essos and make the show more enjoyable simply because they think they are unimportant.

Important does not have to be defined in terms of how crucial a character is to the plot. As is evidenced by the number of people here who expressed their disappointment that Grenn and Pyp were killed off, they were important to a lot of viewers.

I don't really take an interest in what happens behind the scenes regarding whether the series has been picked up for more seasons but will take your word for it. I hope D&D don't continue to kill off the minor characters who add to the rich fabric of Westeros and Essos and make the show more enjoyable simply because they think they are unimportant.

I don't think they killed them off because they were "unimportant". I think it's the opposite, they killed them off because it had dramatic importance, because the audience cared about them. I hate to be a defender as the books are always better but I get it for pure tv and it worked. It made for a great piece of television. Emmy for Marshall?

Edited by ctid1977

I'll forgive D&D for all their fuck ups if the credits roll right after STANNIS!STANNIS!STANNIS!

Wishful thinking. I just hope it doesn't end with Dany again. At this point I'll be fine with anything else.