How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

:agree: The first season of the GoT was so popular BECAUSE it was an accurate adaptation of AGOT. I do not see any value in this butchery. I do think it is damaging the story and at this stage really confusing the show audience. Also, I do understand the need of the producers to hide a possibility of R+L=J, but not for four whole seasons. Show viewers haven't seen a hint of that so far. To them, Jon is Ned's son and that's it. It's just silly. If R+L=J is true, it will not be the only twist by the end of this, so I don't see any point in hiding all the hints from the show. Furthermore, the show completely ignores dreams, prophecies and lore that have a huge significance in the books. Even animated additions to each season that go with the DVDs and can be found on You Tube do not contain enough information for the viewers to really get the gist of the story background and magical elements. There are many unnecessary and pointless scenes in the show, such as Greyworm/Myssandei "love story". I do not see their purpose. GRRM has not written these story lines. It is one thing to extend an existing storyline and quite the other to invent them. The whole episode nine is a fanfic. Not a single thing is taken from the books. Why? What's the purpose? It should be an adaptation, not a fan fiction.

:agree: I'm this boat. I'm in the group that is oft laughed at because I would genuinely enjoy a word-for-word adaptation over what we’ve received thus far, even if it meant a smaller audience for them in the long run. It’s all wrapped up in the money, and as long as the money keeps coming in, it will be seen as justification for the changes and alterations made to the plot/timeline/characters that have been made. At this point I’m honestly willing to watch a hundred hour + animated version of aSoIaF ala Ralph Bakshi’s 1978 Lord of the Rings over these four seasons (and promise/threat of only 7 by the end).

Before the daggers come out, please, I don’t hate the show. I enjoy it for what it is, but I don’t think that admitting that has to also come with me smiling at all the (often unnecessary) changes and not also being allowed to confide that I idly wish for a true, if not verbatim, adaptation. :drool:

Edited by theBastardofCasterlyRock

I know what's going to happen but I thought the cliffhanger was very well done, my only problem is how they're going to squeeze everything into the final episode, I've said since S01 these should be 12 episodes with double premiers and double finales.

Absolutely loved the long shot of Jon getting off the lift panning all around to Sam, overall a 9 for me.

So, I'm new here and signed up to give my two cents about this episode.

Well, I gave it a solid 7/10. It was definitely fun to watch and entertained through the whole lengths, but there's my problem with this one: it was too short for my opinion. I thought it last week with the duel and I thought it today again, there was too much unnecessary talk, while the more important parts were cut.

I think, and that's just my opinion, that the whole Mance & Jon negotiation should have been in this episode, with Stannis arriving at the end as the absolute climax of the episode.

I just cannot imagine a way how they gonna put all the remaining stuff in Ep.10 and doing all these epic scenes appropriate justice. There's just too much left!

So, I'm new here and signed up to give my two cents about this episode.

Well, I gave it a solid 7/10. It was definitely fun to watch and entertained through the whole lengths, but there's my problem with this one: it was too short for my opinion. I thought it last week with the duel and I thought it today again, there was too much unnecessary talk, while the more important parts were cut.

I think, and that's just my opinion, that the whole Mance & Jon negotiation should have been in this episode, with Stannis arriving at the end as the absolute climax of the episode.

I just cannot imagine a way how they gonna put all the remaining stuff in Ep.10 and doing all these epic scenes appropriate justice. There's just too much left!

I agree with all that. It would've been child's play to cut 10 minutes out of this and get Stannis coming in. Heck, cut 5 minutes and make it a 55-minute episode.

The only positive I take from that is that it sets up Ep. 10 as being even greater--but Ep. 10 already has a ton of great content expected. I just hope there's not too much. It's only 66 minutes. If I see any "filler" scenes early on I'm going to start worrying.

No Stannis or LS ending. A perfect ending would be a crossbow thrum!

I think that's got to be it. Then we can slowly die waiting to see Tyrions next move. Or if the bolt actually hits. Wherever they pull the plug! They end episodes like the Sopranos ended the series except w credits and a next ep! I'm always faked out that it's ending until the last seconds and then scream, then credits!

10/10

Because of

- the mammoth and the giants

- Sam the Slayer in action

- Janos Slynt (!)

- awesome duels (Ser Alliser vs. Tormund)

- "You know nothing, Jon Snow."

- Ser Alliser agreeing for once with Jon

- Maester Aemon and Sam

- Sam and Jon

6/10 for me.

It's not so much that tho individual episode was bad, but it feels like this is what you get with a poorly paced season that didn't have nearly enough build-up. The producers needed 15 minutes setting up the battle because they failed to do so in previous episodes.

This is really going to be obvious next week. There's no way that they can adequately cover the end of the book without leaving something major out.

As a standalone episode it was pretty entertaining. But within the overall framework of this season, it felt rushed and out of place.

6/10 for me.

It's not so much that tho individual episode was bad, but it feels like this is what you get with a poorly paced season that didn't have nearly enough build-up. The producers needed 15 minutes setting up the battle because they failed to do so in previous episodes.

This is really going to be obvious next week. There's no way that they can adequately cover the end of the book without leaving something major out.

As a standalone episode it was pretty entertaining. But within the overall framework of this season, it felt rushed and out of place.

I gave it a 10, although after reading this thread I was reminded of a few points that could have been improved upon. I would have loved to see Grenn actually fighting Mag Mar Tun Doh Weg, and more Ghost action.

However, I still think it was my favourite episode so far. Pyp's death has got to be the biggest book-to-TV shock! Also Ser Alliser Thorne vs Tormund Giantsbane was a great fight.

Some stood there snarling and got shot, and about 10 seconds later after the third or 4th guy gets nailed they all act shocked and back up.

They backed up THREE seconds after the first guy got shot. I'm not trying to be pedantic, but to me it looked like a realistic reaction.

Fan pleasing, shallow, and an unrelenting air of hollywood-esque emotive predictability.

Really disappointing after last week's mostly brilliant episode, and the first episode in the whole series I actually disliked watching.

- The battle tactics seemed oversimplified, everything is on this weird micro-scale like Blackwater where you feel like you're in a brawl in someone's back garden.

- The cartoonish Jonas Slynt 'cowardly dog' alteration is odd and unnecessary. He is a complete sh-t head but he is formidable as a bad guy and an enemy to Jon Snow and this change is really disappointing and damaging to the character.

Same with Thorne, it felt nice to see a relate-able human side to him but I know it's not right that the show is catering to shallow feelings over maintaining the harsh reality of this world - where Thorne is an eternally unappeasable c-t - and in which in the show is starting to feel less and less real.

- The mid-battle, holding in the arms, cliche-romance scene with Jon and Ygritte. I nearly pulled my eyes out. “Hush now....” “You know nothing..... Jon....... Snow....” Seriously? Is this seriously happening right now? Okay yeah it's happening, f- it, I'm done. At this point I'm no longer in Westeros, I'm watching a scene done a thousand times before in a thousand different movies, interwoven with the worst kind of movie predictability.

- Pyp & Grenn shouldn't have died (where's Noye?). As Jon's closer friends he needs them to add depth to his character.

Last weeks episode gets an 8, this week its a 3, up from a 1 because ghost appeared (and I'm ignoring the fact that he just stops at one and chows down for a minute mid-battle) and up from a 2 because the anchor swing and giant-charge scenes (nervewracking, the vows recital made my skin shiver). Boy was this unenjoyable.. But, looking forward to next week a lot, and conversely am optimistic for how it will turn out.

A disappointing 6 for me. Episode lacked tension, was too short and we didn't even get to see Grenn kill the giant. The whole battle including Mance and Stannis should have been covered. Blackwater told the whole story from build up to conclusion and was suitably raved about. This Wall battle feels like a missed opportunity to do something equally special.

10. Against all odds, the Night's Watch won a big battle...for a night. Looks like the Stannis shocker will show up next week. Not upset by that at all. Still a little shocked about Grenn and Pyp, but hey, it happens.

What I'm most shocked about is how so many people voted a 1. I don't think any episode could be a 1 in this series, unless you don't like the genre. And if you don't like this genre, why are you watching the show? If it's cause you're a book reader, as I am, you just have to realize, this isn't the book, it's the show. Did a bunch of Harry Potter fans sign up just to rate down episodes?