How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Lol this is exactly the kind of shit most people go nuts over. Forget all the well written drama and raw human emotion, just overload us with action and violence because our attention spans are so short. Sad ain't it?

Says the guy with the most graphically violent avatar on the board.

There has been a lot of discussion of what an adaptation is and isn't. Yes, it does not have to be a word

for word depiction of the original material. It doesn't even have to be set in the same time period or in

the original language. Kurasowa based several of his films on Shakespeare's plays, 10 Things I Hate

About You is a very enjoyable, modern day version of The Taming of the Shrew and Clueless I've

often felt is closer to the original spirit of Emma than some of the period drama versions of it. But the

plot should still be recognizable and the author's intentions in writing the work honored. Otherwise, it's

a parody.

What HBO and D&D have given us is not an adaptation but a mutation. They've acted like some kind of

radiation and turned the show into a rampaging behemoth trampling Martin's beautiful and intricate plot

like it's Tokyo. They've changed characters' personalities and story arcs almost out of recognition; and

what I worry about is this mutation spreading and affecting, infecting the books yet to come. Martin should

be flattered people care this much about his work (more than he seems to) and HBO and D&D should

be flattered that they've gotten such a reaction from his fans. And please let's stop calling D&D's efforts

fanfiction. Since they've basically vandalised the books, vanfiction seems more appropriate.

Gave it a solid 9. My highest score all season I think. Two things that bothered me were

1. Not nearly enough Ghost. Completely changed how important he is to Jon in the show as opposed to the books.

2. So Tormund and the Thenns were camping out just over a hill not 100 yards away and the Watch never saw them? Even with cook fires and such? That was sloppy and funny in a bad way.

Gave it a solid 9. My highest score all season I think. Two things that bothered me were

1. Not nearly enough Ghost. Completely changed how important he is to Jon in the show as opposed to the books.

2. So Tormund and the Thenns were camping out just over a hill not 100 yards away and the Watch never saw them? Even with cook fires and such? That was sloppy and funny in a bad way.

I said the same exact thing. "Uh, you mean they were just sitting down there the whole time?"

1. Completely agree here. Ghost should at the very least have gone North with Jon. I think the writers often forget Ghost exists.

2. I think the distance was supposed to be greater, but what was the NW supposed to do? Leave Castle Black and fight them? Jon notes they want to draw them out, but it did seem a bit close to me as well.

There has been a lot of discussion of what an adaptation is and isn't. Yes, it does not have to be a word

for word depiction of the original material. It doesn't even have to be set in the same time period or in

the original language. Kurasowa based several of his films on Shakespeare's plays, 10 Things I Hate

About You is a very enjoyable, modern day version of The Taming of the Shrew and Clueless I've

often felt is closer to the original spirit of Emma than some of the period drama versions of it. But the

plot should still be recognizable and the author's intentions in writing the work honored. Otherwise, it's

a parody.

What HBO and D&D have given us is not an adaptation but a mutation. They've acted like some kind of

radiation and turned the show into a rampaging behemoth trampling Martin's beautiful and intricate plot

like it's Tokyo. They've changed characters' personalities and story arcs almost out of recognition; and

what I worry about is this mutation spreading and affecting, infecting the books yet to come. Martin should

be flattered people care this much about his work (more than he seems to) and HBO and D&D should

be flattered that they've gotten such a reaction from his fans. And please let's stop calling D&D's efforts

fanfiction. Since they've basically vandalised the books, vanfiction seems more appropriate.

Bravo.

i thought it was great for show. there were a few parts I was thinking "well that's different, or that's different" but D&D made it work. i enjoyed the episode a lot, but i do wish it would have been a bit longer.. i hope the season finale won't be 53 minutes.. give us the full hour! :commie:

As to the show's increasing popularity, are you familiar with the expression "There are lies, damn

lies and statistics"? I'm cynical about stats.How could one possibly verify the figures? Knock on

every door in the world and take a census?

As to why people continue to watch the show who are disappointed in it? Quite frankly, it has

become my surrogate MST3K. I enjoy rolling my eyes, groaning at its cheesiness and bursting

out laughing at truly ridiculous moments. Of which there have been so many since Season 1.

Any episode now I expect to see some extra wearing a Rolex or smoking a cigarette, a vapor

trail in the background. And then I can come to the Forum and read people explain it away as

some truly awesome or clever move on D&D's part. I'll enjoy that too!

Let's be honest, who doesn't rubberneck at the scene of an accident? Sometimes, a person

you like is part of the accident...say Stannis or Sansa....and you lose your objectivity and

become upset and rail against Fate.....but then you go back to rubbernecking despite the

big cop waving you past and saying "Show's over....nothin' to see here."

I might rubberneck at an accident, but I wouldn't actively seek one out to view once a week, 10 weeks of the year for 8 years...

The action sequences were absolutely amazing.... Marshall topped his work on blackwater the way it was shot was incredible and i love any time when Jon and ghost are shown being bad ass. They kept all of the important parts from the book and made it amazing for tv.... i didn't expect the episode to end like that but i guess they'll have to fit the rest into the finale. the giants were awesome too 10/10 my only gripe, which is very small, was that the archers on the top of the wall needed someone to tell them to fire arrows. i guess they had to do that to show Jon taking command it just seemed kinda silly.... like just fire the fucking arrows

1. Completely agree here. Ghost should at the very least have gone North with Jon. I think the writers often forget Ghost exists.

2. I think the distance was supposed to be greater, but what was the NW supposed to do? Leave Castle Black and fight them? Jon notes they want to draw them out, but it did seem a bit close to me as well.

I want more ghost.... all the time, i have a 6 month old husky i named ghost. when i seen him in the cage at crasters i flipped out. how the hell did they get him in the cage? theres no way they got him or summer out of a trap and into that cage without the wolves tearing 20 people apart. that was the worst part of the red wedding, how grey wind died. in the books he kills dogs and rips a guys arm off while getting shot with crossbows. i love any scene with the wolves

Regarding Ghost: 'I need him more than I need you' 😉. But agree, they've marginalized Ghost's importance in Jon's storyline 😡

It was over too soon! I guess this could count as a positive, since I was so into it that the abrupt ending jarred me. Plus they killed some key characters off who are still alive and kickin' in the books. It's not like they ever had a lot of named characters at Castle Black anyway. Now if feels like they've reduced that number by half.

Nonetheless, it was a very good episode! The musical score rocked.