How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Amen, Hodor! I think Ramin's score went a loooooong way to making the 30-min action sequence so tense and exciting!

My absolute favorite part in the episode is where Jon jumps off the elevator, kills a few people, then stops (and the music stops)....looks around...then *cue music* and he starts fighting just as the 360 track shot begins. It was so, so perfect in every single way and sent a shiver of excitement down my spine.

Hmm... am I wrong in remembering that Jon knew he didn't kill her thanks to the type of feathers in the arrow shaft? They were different than what he used during the battle.

Also, personally, I loved the way the show handled her death. After all the talk about wanting to kill Jon, in the end, her love for him caused hesitation and it cost her her life. I also loved that Jon, upon seeing her, simply smiled.. even though she was pointing an arrow at him at the time, his happiness in seeing her over ruled the fact that he may be about to die.

You're right that Jon knew he didn't kill her due to the arrow feathers. Ygritte's death scene in the show was excellently handled, a satisfying farewell.

This episode was about the bravery of a few NW brothers holding the wall through impossible odds. Having Stannis ride in at the end and save the day would have distracted from that. The way D&D did it, we get both. We get the NW being heroic and next week, we'll get Stannis riding in to help. And I'm not a D&D apologist in the least. I mostly hate how little they've built up the wall, as it's my favorite locale in the books, but I completely agree with giving the NW their due for an episode without having some other entity rush in to save the day.

:agree: Though I'm not a big fan of major battle scenes, this episode ROCKED. The NW was finally center stage, displaying heroism and impressive skill in the face of certain doom. The action was edge-of-your-seat tense, heartbreaking and visually stunning, both at a personal level and on a grand scale. It was great to see Jon's leadership skills in action. Kudos to the director and show runners.

[edit] I gave it a 9.

Edited by SummerSong

Has anybody counted up how many Night's watch men died?

It's ambiguous since it's often hard to tell Night's Watch from wildlings, but I'd say at least 31 + 3 seriously injured + several more ambiguous as to allegiance dead + several more shots from Ygritte where we can't see the destination but I think we're supposed to think she's deadly.

When I say "at least 31" I'm assuming that a sword blow to the head or torso or an arrow to the torso is fatal. With the medical treatment options these guys had - and Thoros not around - it probably was.

It's ambiguous since it's often hard to tell Night's Watch from wildlings, but I'd say at least 31 + 3 seriously injured + several more ambiguous as to allegiance dead + several more shots from Ygritte where we can't see the destination but I think we're supposed to think she's deadly.

When I say "at least 31" I'm assuming that a sword blow to the head or torso or an arrow to the torso is fatal. With the medical treatment options these guys had - and Thoros not around - it probably was.

I'm guessing the NW lost about 50 men all told.

Am I the only one who thinks Jon walking out the gate might be the last we see of this storyline this season?

Nope, me and some guys at work talked about this as well. That might be it for him this season.

EDIT: never mind. I saw him in the promo.

Edited by Steve Stark

Seven.

Would have loved it, but they killed Grenn and Pyp for fuck's sakes.

Highly suspect either or both of those characters have parts to play in the novels, so, way to go.

Of course, when you don't ever introduce the one armed blacksmith (Donal Noye iirc?), I suppose Grenn's got to eat it when he goes into the tunnels.

The action was really well choreographed imho. Allister Thorne actually looked like a guy who knew what to do with a sword.

Best episode ever 11/10

WHY?

less talk, more action

the best parts

the battle: A horde of 100.000 against 100 EPIC!

the scythe is:so fucking cool (brilliant D&D)

Jon Snow and Alliser Thorne are fucking killing maschine

the potato boy: Like a boss

the wildlings; scum you really want to be dead. Only a dead wildling is good wildling.

Gren the Giant Slayer

the giants were cool designed monsters

the butcher cook

the death of Ygritte: what a vile bitch

Ghost eating wildlings

Stannis not stealing the show (he is so boring ... show and books)

Jon Snow is going Kamikaze to save the Wall

negative

not enough violence (was hoping for more explicit scences)

not showing the battle with Grenn and the giant

Maester Aemon. A old man talking about woman is creppy (Waste of time)

Gilly/Sam is not hot, it's embrassing to watch (more Waste of time)

Tormund survived (why wouid you let a animal who killed a dozen of your men and hundred pf peasants let alive?)

The Show is better than the books at this moment.

I really hope they will cut all the lame parts from the next books.

(I heard the next two books are boring and bad ... so i stopped to read)

The show is so popular that they finally can do what they want with the books

I'm also not sure how I feel about coward Janos, after all he was leader of an elite unit of soldiers in the capital, has he never been in a fight that wasn't a certain victory? I guess not.

I wouldn't put 'The City Watch' in the same category as 'Elite Unit of Soldiers'. They were paid thugs in armour used to quell violence in Flea Bottom - or start it if the price was right.

Easiest and only 10/10 from me, ever.

My favorite scene from the book translated so 'effing well on the show. I was terrified it wouldn't live up, it couldn't possibly live up, my god how could it live up? And while it's not as intense...it was close to being the damn finest hour of television I've ever seen. Most of the criticism I've seen so far was that "nothing happened" or "I don't care about the wall or Jon Snow". Well....TOO BAD. Because that story is a helluva lot more important than all your golden children in Politico Landing.

FFS.

Easiest and only 10/10 from me, ever.

My favorite scene from the book translated so 'effing well on the show. I was terrified it wouldn't live up, it couldn't possibly live up, my god how could it live up? And while it's not as intense...it was close to being the damn finest hour of television I've ever seen. Most of the criticism I've seen so far was that "nothing happened" or "I don't care about the wall or Jon Snow". Well....TOO BAD. Because that story is a helluva lot more important than all your golden children in Politico Landing.

FFS.

I take it that you have never seen the Die Hard movies?

Most of the criticism I've seen so far was that "nothing happened" or "I don't care about the wall or Jon Snow". Well....TOO BAD. Because that story is a helluva lot more important than all your golden children in Politico Landing.

FFS.

Such a shame the show has failed to communicate that point for the last 3 seasons.

I think that this episode was a much bigger achievement than Blackwater ever was. Sure, the Night's Watch might not have been that developed before this. However, here, they get more development than all 4 seasons combined. We see how inexperienced and frightened they really are, and it is conveyed in such a believable and touching way. Allister Thorne Edd, Grenn, Pyp and Sam became a lot, lot more awesome as characters. The scene where the giant charges at the men of the night's watch while they chant their vow is, personally, the most moving scene for me.

The very fact that they were able to create one of the most epic yet touching and heartbreaking with characters who were previously not so fleshed out before makes it a grand achievement in my eyes.

I re-watched the episode again last night and it was much better than I originally thought.

It's pretty much a 10/10 in my book now.

There were a few things that bugged me: no Stannis, particularly when the episode ended 8 minutes or so early, ghost only killing one person and not walking out with Jon at the end, watching Tormund fight. The way he's all herky-jerky with his movements bugs me, but his fight with Ser Alliser was great. Aside from that, the entire episode was excellent.

I would have liked one scene with Mance in the wildling camp just to get a pov from there though.

Edited by RottenAppleFossoway

Everyone that is worried about there being too much to do in the finale needs to chill. The episode is supposed to be 66min. Also, I know a lot of you will just roll your eyes at this statement, but D&D have pretty much said the finale next week is the greatest episode they have ever produced, and knowing what's to come I at least believe them (thrum! ). I brought this up before the season started, but does everyone here still think LS will make an appearance? Or is it next season now?

Everyone that is worried about there being too much to do in the finale needs to chill. The episode is supposed to be 66min. Also, I know a lot of you will just roll your eyes at this statement, but D&D have pretty much said the finale next week is the greatest episode they have ever produced, and knowing what's to come I at least believe them (thrum! ). I brought this up before the season started, but does everyone here still think LS will make an appearance? Or is it next season now?

They say that about an episode each season. It's a combination of self-promotion, cheap publicity, and their own overweening arrogance as "show creators."

I'd love for Lady Stoneheart to appear, but who even knows anymore? If some of the rumors about cut/merged characters from FfC and DwD are true, then anything's possible.