How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Blackwater went some 26 minutes before anyone died. None of this stuff was filler, in this case. Taking time to use Pypar as a focal point for the fear many felt, and as a way to understand how Samwell was dealing with it, and for showing us Alliser Thorne dealing with the tribulations of command, and so on -- they're important when you're putting lives in jeopardy, as they're a way to reinforce whatever connections people may have.

Now, that said, had the writers done the smart thing and skipped the Craster nonsense and left Jon and co. at Castle Black, and given us more of a story about the tensions there, about the people there, maybe these pieces of characterization would have been stronger for some, or maybe they wouldn't have needed so much of it (though really, I doubt they were going to make it 45 minutes of non-stop action).

I think the weeks wait for the next episode always makes everyone a bit more hostile towards each episode if it's not perfect. I have been guilty of this too lol

Edited by Defeatarion

The people giving this episode 1's and 2's are just being ignorant to be honest. Fine if they were dissapointed with certain aspects of the epside, but to downgrade it to a menial 1 or 2 is just childish reactionary hatred. Not that the ratings on here hold any sway on the grander scale of anything :P It is just an interesting thing to see people react this way. I don't mean to offend anyone with that comment though, I understand people sometimes overreact when they are attached to something.

This episode was incredible for me, and I am critical of the show when I need to be, I cringed at some of the Gilly/ Sam scenes, but this episode more than made up for the shit bits with bits that had my jaw drop and bits that moved me quite a bit( Grenn, Ygritte, Pyp)

What about the people giving this episode 10s? Same can be said tbh.

This "epic" battle scene?

The White queen, Da Vinci's Demons, Rome, spartacus, Camelot, Vikings, I could go on

This show had a $60 million budget this season, more than most movies. There's no excuse.

I think GOT did a great job with this episode in terms of their action scenes. I will say that Vikings does a great job too. Their battle sequences are amazing.

You guys are saying "book purist" like that's a bad thing. Why is pointing out the flaws in a very flawed show so angering? "Book purist haters" are definitely more annoying at this point and are defending a low quality product. Or perhaps you're all too sensitive and can't accept that this show is a poor representation of superior books?

Book purist are stupid, because they don't understand that books don't translate perfectly into movies and tv shows. They get caught over the little stuff, and refuse to acknowledge that its good.

The production value? Lets look at the amazing production shall we?

Mance's 100,00 wildling army:

http://postimg.org/image/np0bpw3st/

Here's the massive army that attecked the wall: (I circled them, because even though its a massive 10 people, its a little hard to see)

http://postimg.org/image/9xl84uo8j/

And the huge battle that breached the gate:

http://postimg.org/image/doculnzwb/

As you can see, there are 5 wildlings, 2 giants, and a mammoth.

Perhaps the production values are great if you are blind, but for those of use with more than 2 brain cells, we aren't willing to accept the absurdity that this "force" could somehow breach a gate, nor are we willing to accept the butchering of a story we love.

Glad you have low expectations and can accept crap.

This times 100. It should have been WAY more epic. You know it's bad when my unsullied friends who love everything are yawning and think it's boring.

Regardless of how short it was, and the fact that Stan didn't make it in :(, I thought it was a beautifully shot episode! Fantastic all around! Complaints are mostly that it was too short...a sign of a great episode, yeah?

really? Average Movie Budget of these 33 movies: $139,084,697 and being generous, 3 hours long, or more than $46million dollars an hour, compared to $6million and hour for this show

Or, some people realize that this is NOT the books, and there is no way the books (ANY BOOK!) can become a literal translation onto a screen.

They are two very different mediums and should not be compared to each other. (I know I also almost always say "the book was better" no matter the show/movie, but that is not the same as saying "this sucks because it is not the exact same thing a the book")

I do have the advantage of watching with my unsullied husband and do try to see it through his eyes, and compare this tv show, to TV.

Did you even read that article? To come up with this "average" the dude took the top 20 expensive movies of all time, then took the 20 lowest that grossed $1 million at the box office, THEN removed 7 of those lowest because they werent major studio. Sorry, this is not an average, not even close.

GOOD TRY THOUGH, please try again.

Let us refer to my original statement:

$60 million is more than most movies. Using the site your atricle links, $60 million is more than all but 627 of the 4102 movies listed. That would quantify as more than most would it not?

Edited by Whatsthedillio

How on earth can anyone say this was boring? My heart was pounding for 30 minutes straight. The action was phenomenal and the production values were insane. It felt more like a movie than tv. I thought Blackwater was a better overall episode but I think from a pure action/battle persepctive this one surpasses it.

I understand the shock/dissapointment over no Stannis but too many people are letting that overshadow a phenomenal episode.

Edited by Ser Blake

Now, that said, had the writers done the smart thing and skipped the Craster nonsense and left Jon and co. at Castle Black, and given us more of a story about the tensions there, about the people there, maybe these pieces of characterization would have been stronger for some, or maybe they wouldn't have needed so much of it (though really, I doubt they were going to make it 45 minutes of non-stop action).

This is what is my main problem. For almost four years, the Wall didn't have its proper moment, Jon's storyline was handled as it is almost secondary, and this year, it showed more than any other. The supporting ensemble in any other subplot, like Bronn, Shae, Brienne and Podrick in KL or Missandei and Greyworm in Essos are all fleshed out. Wall characters simply weren't. There was something lacking in the characterization that would make this episode be as memorable as the Blackwater was.

There was a moment of pure gold in cinematic way when the camera almost flowed through the courtyard focusing on each element of the battle. But, it was too short and not enough... This wasn't nearly as epic as they made it sound.

You guys are saying "book purist" like that's a bad thing. Why is pointing out the flaws in a very flawed show so angering? "Book purist haters" are definitely more annoying at this point and are defending a low quality product. Or perhaps you're all too sensitive and can't accept that this show is a poor representation of superior books?

True. The book is the standard and the show falls WAY short of the book too often. It's disappointing because they only get one shot at this. I doubt there will ever be another adaptation at ASOIAF.

Enjoyed the episode but they haven't built the Wall storyline well enough for this episode to really mean something. I think the episode ended too early as well. Had it ended with Stannis it would have felt like a proper end to an epic battle.

How on earth can anyone say this was boring? My heart was pounding for 30 minutes straight. The action was phenomenal and the production values were insane. It felt more like a movie than tv. I understand the shock/dissapointment over no Stannis but too many people are letting that overshadow a phenomenal episode.

All the build-up and interviews the actors and director gave made it sound like "this will be the best television you will ever see." The amount of hype was just too much..

Instead we get 50 guys screaming at a camera while 4 guys are trying climb the wall and 5 guys are preparing to storm the tunnel.

Edited by The Red Melli

I think the weeks wait for the next episode always makes everyone a bit more hostile towards each episode if it's not perfect. I have been guilty of this too lol

:agree:

I felt the end was cut at an akward moment (Jon crossing unarmed the Gate) after a full packed action episode like this one, even for a cliffhanger.

Maybe when rewatched as a whole season finished it will feel "smoother".