How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Not sure where to post this but I tallied the ratings for each of the episode rating threads and ranked the episodes based on the results:

Apologies if this has already been posted.

[8.77] E06 - "The Laws of Gods and Men"

[8.33] E07 - "Mockingbird"

[8.32] E02 - "The Lion and the Rose"

[8.18] E01 - "Two Swords"

[8.16] E08 - "The Mountain and the Viper"

[7.99] E09 - "The Watchers on the Wall"

[7.78] E04 - "Oathkeeper"

[7.38] E05 - "First of His Name"

[6.99] E03 - "Breaker of Chains"

Good One. I should do it for all seasons a week after episode 10

People really liked tyrion's speech i guess

The more I think about it, the more I like the fact that they didn't include Stannis. A sudden arrival saving the day at the last minute would've felt like Blackwater all over again. And it would've diminished the importance of the NW and Jon Snow in the defense of the Wall.

What they did is much closer to what happens in the books. The northern and southern attack happen simultaneously, but once the action ends, the battle is not over and Jon has to go to try to kill Stannis (which, in the show, is a much more heroic moment because he is the one who decides to go).

And as the producers repeatedly said, the climax of this season will happen in episode 10. For EVERY storyline including the Wall.

Just didn't work for me. They should have had this part of the attack happen much earlier in the season, and its delay, with no Stannis appearance, just felt anti-climactic to me. I also thought there would be no Mance, which was irritating me, but at least it looks like next week they have a scene with him.

I gave it a 3. It was my least favorite episode all ALL seasons.

Good episode, but the hype was built up a little too much imo. It was very well done and there were some completely epic scenes, like the blade cutting across the ice! The Ygritte-Jon scene was also well done, and I thought they combined the two battles quite well considering they were at separate times in the books. The way they managed to get Jon commanding on the wall as well as him seeing Ygritte dying was great. Main disappointment to me was that they didn't show the mammoth wreaking havok when it got scared by the explosions, but that would probably have cost them a ton more.

I gave it an 8/10. Can't wait for next week!

I gave it a 7.

It's a good long fight, but I like aGoT for the intrigue and plotting.

The "head on anvil" was annoying, as was the throwing through stuff afterwards. Styr has no reason to prolong his fight with Jon, just to continue bashing his head on the anvil until it was a bloody pulp.

I would have preferred Alliser to shine down there, and show just why he is Master-at-Arms, maybe even have him save Jon and say the line: "We can go on hating when this is over" then.

And finally, to much will be cramped in to episode 10, or postponed to season 5.

I gave it a 10, best episode of the season.

It was a great change of pace having the entire episode at one place, it felt nice to not switch between POV to POV. It seemed like a short movie to me.

I think given all the events that happen, having Stannis show up last minute to save the day wouldn't have worked. I think they would have run out of time. His rescue of the Wall would have been reduced to, "And then Stannis showed up, they chanted his name and he won! Cool!" And then they wouldn't have had time to explain how the Night's Watch won.

I loved the last scene between Ygritte and Jon. I teared up at it, like I did reading the book. Their last words to each other feel so poignant and sad.

Honestly, episode 9 has been built up so much for crazy shit to go down, I bet the Unsullied still have scars from the Red Wedding (and many in shock from Oberyn's death last ep). I'm glad it was a nice long battle instead of crazy political intrigue and killing major characters (Season 1- Ned, Season 3 - Robb, Talisa, Catelyn). If someone major dies every season in episode 9, it might make the show too predictable. The Unsullied I know seem quite depressed about all the deaths and about Tyrion, and I think they could use a win right now.

The last two episodes, IMO, were better, but the ayes seem to have it (though I won't go beyond a 9). Boy, that's a lot of 10s. I think that people may be overrating it somewhat, however, because it's the first episode this series which is just a load of action going on. Objectively, more actually happened in the majestic episode 7.

The last two episodes, IMO, were better, but the ayes seem to have it (though I won't go beyond a 9). Boy, that's a lot of 10s. I think that people may be overrating it somewhat, however, because it's the first episode this series which is just a load of action going on. Objectively, more actually happened in the majestic episode 7.

I started rated them based on other episodes and not by what my expectations were. That's why this episode got a 10 for me, only 3 others received 10's, season 0110 season0309 and season0209.

Wanted to give it a 10.

But I felt for what actual story progression was accomplished it was a little dragged out and the fighting down below went on too long for such limited forces being involved.

So a 9 from me, but some moments of great quality in the episode.

Long time reader/viewer and forum lurker. First time poster.

I have had kind of a love hate relationship with the series so far, I thought the first season was pretty amazing, the second season was very weak, the third was almost there and the fourth is finally doing what it should be.

I no longer think of the show as an adaptation of the books but instead a seperate story based on the books.

Anvil to face and giant bowman aside, this episode is probably the best one of all in terms of giving characters real purpose and meaningful turns (especially Allister)

Pyp and Grenns deaths really got to me, especially as I couldn't predict them. Especially Pyp, as he foreshadowed his own fate by saying a sword didn't belong in his hand or words to the same effect. And Grenn was a suitable replacement for the one armed smith, as in the show we are fully invested in Grenn's character and his death was suitably heroic.

Ygritte's death, though different, hit home just as hard for me, props to the actors there. Sam finally found some balls and I gained 10x respect for Allister putting all his grudges aside for the good of the wall and the realm of men and taking on one of the most dangerous enemies in the field.

From a purist point of view I could find issue with this episode but treating it as a seperate entity... wow.

The giant using a bow with the same power as a scorpion struck me as too silly, and the chain to an extent. The face into anvil would have also lead to the death of a real person with little doubt, certainly put the person out of contention for the rest of the day/week at the very least. I'm also not sure how I feel about coward Janos, after all he was leader of an elite unit of soldiers in the capital, has he never been in a fight that wasn't a certain victory? I guess not.

Unlike many, I was never that impressed by Blackwater, but this epic battle episode delivered.

My first 10.

Same reason I finally binge watched The Wire and Breaking Bad. More people deciding to try it.

No, because if it sucked now, they wouldn't KEEP watching it every week, and the internet wouldn't be teeming with reaction videos, parodies, reviews, recaps, etc. This season has been absolutely amazing, in terms of quality and reception. The first season had great moments, but we don't really get into the 'game' until Ned is killed.

No, because if it sucked now, they wouldn't KEEP watching it every week, and the internet wouldn't be teeming with reaction videos, parodies, reviews, recaps, etc. This season has been absolutely amazing, in terms of quality and reception. The first season had great moments, but we don't really get into the 'game' until Ned is killed.

Also true

10/10 for me. Loved what I saw. We all know Stannis is coming, they haven't shown it yet, so, IMO, it's kind of silly to knock this episode for not getting to what comes next. As a 50 minute show, it was entertaining as hell. The only knock slight nitpick I had was I wanted to see more in the tunnel fight. More like in the book where the bodies are piling on top of each other and blocking the way. All Grenn & Co. had to fight was one giant who didn't even bother to hold the door open for his friends.

Reception? A fig for reception! Some of the worst trash on television is also the best-received. Argument ad populum.

The show is good, no doubt, but readers are right to complain about the decline in the writing and plot. Those have gone downhill, unquestionably. The fact that this season has included two tangents which consumed a huge amount of time and did absolutely nothing to advance the story (Asha's aborted rescue of Theon and Bran's capture by Karl "fucking" Tanner) should disqualify the season from being "absolutely amazing in terms of quality."

When HBO follows the books, what they do is great. When they make necessary changes/adaptations, it's alright. When they invent their own material, it's abysmal. It's not that we're against any changes; we're just against HBO's ill-conceived ideas. I can't wait for the epic conclusion of Missandei and Grey Worm's dickless love this Sunday!

Edited by Anarchosaurus Rex