Best Lines [and kills] of 409

Best LInes:

All in all, I thought the episode was only "average" for memorable lines, but most belonged to Thorne who had a great rhythm ("Does 'Notch' mean 'Draw?'" and "Do you want to be in the belly of a giant tonight?"). I also liked his speech to Jon Snow and how he warned him about second guessing.

But I thought Sam's lines were great, most notably when Jon says "I'm not a poet!" Sam replies (accurately): "You're right, you aren't a poet."

There was also a GREAT bait-and-switch line where Sam promises Gilly he won't die, and thus makes you think he was ABSOLUTELY going to die. I like that the show teased us that way... and somehow made Sam true to his word.

Best scene:

Allistere Thorne v. Thormon Giantsbane: Two dramatically different men came together in a fight-scene that rivalsed any other battle-fight so far. An edgy, fast, gritty scene that was fought to a standstill. There was a lot of drama in such a short scene. I also liked how Giantsbane's viciousness was offset by THorne's determination and that seemed very true to the spirit of both characters.

Grenns oath. Kinda hammy but still perfect.

Tormund bout to tell his bear story. Curse ye Ygritte for cutting him off

I must be the only one that thought Ygritte telling Tormund to shut the fuck up was hilarious.

"I know you never fucked a bear, you know you never fucked a bear, right know I don't want to think about the bear you never fucked" :lol:

Ygritte was all business! Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. :devil:

Best kills for me:

The giant scythe !!! 5 stars.

Jon's ax buried in Styrr's head !!! Another 5 stars

Thorne and Tormund

And little Olly

Sam with the crossbow, and his look of surprise when he actually killed a wilding - obviously his return to being 'nothing' and . . . speaking of which, it just struck me that that perhaps foreshadows Arya becoming 'no one' in THOBAW.

I loved how cooly Jon shot Tormund at the end. Completely nonplussed, I liked that. Not a kill but still cool.

Also, hammertime.

Was I the only one who wanted Thorne to defeat Tormund? I feel like I might be, but I wanted to check.

"You have the Wall, Edd" and all of Edd's lines after that were badass.

Really liked Sam's lines, especially his "Well, I guess I'm not nothing anymore"

Ygritte's "You know nothing, Jon Snow" death scene was perfect. Gotta love Olly's awesome nod to Jon after he shot Ygritte.

Best deaths, probably Jon's hammertime, the giant scythe, Sam killing a Thenn, and of course the giant knocking that one guy out of the park.

"it's... there's this person.... you're wrapped up in them... they're wrapped up in you.... it... you... for a while you're not you but a whole other person and -- well I don't know, I'm not a bleeding poet!" -that made me laugh out loud

Tormund: "this is how a man ends!" (kills nobody)

Yeah. :lol:

Olly(the kid) killed Ygritte

Karma for her murdering his parents

Oh, yeah, I forgot ... :idea:

best combat stuff:

Alliser Thorne and Tormund Giantbane were surprisingly badass in this episode. The fight between them was probably the best individual one of the night.

Jon Snow / Styr's anvil & hammer routine was interesting. (Is Snow always lucky, though?)

Sam the Slayer killing that Thenn at point-blank range.

The giant firing that huge arrow from that huge bow. Damn !

The Scythe (The Windshield Wiper) - double damn !

Mammoth panic ---> squashed wildling (hilarious)

Best lines of the night seemed to belong to either Alliser Thorne or Sam the Slayer. On the wilding side, Tormund.

Also, I'd like to make some mention of Janos Slynt's sequence on top of the wall, for his "There's no such thing as giants!" He can see they're right there (now does one not?) but his brain just refuses to acknowledge it. Total panic mode, totally useless.

And then another good line follows when they just lie to him and tell him he's been asked for down below.

Best scene:

Allistere Thorne v. Thormon Giantsbane: Two dramatically different men came together in a fight-scene that rivalsed any other battle-fight so far. An edgy, fast, gritty scene that was fought to a standstill. There was a lot of drama in such a short scene. I also liked how Giantsbane's viciousness was offset by THorne's determination and that seemed very true to the spirit of both characters.

I can't agree more. I loved that fight.

Best LInes:

All in all, I thought the episode was only "average" for memorable lines, but most belonged to Thorne who had a great rhythm ("Does 'Notch' mean 'Draw?'" and "Do you want to be in the belly of a giant tonight?"). I also liked his speech to Jon Snow and how he warned him about second guessing.

But I thought Sam's lines were great, most notably when Jon says "I'm not a poet!" Sam replies (accurately): "You're right, you aren't a poet."

There was also a GREAT bait-and-switch line where Sam promises Gilly he won't die, and thus makes you think he was ABSOLUTELY going to die. I like that the show teased us that way... and somehow made Sam true to his word.

Best scene:

That fight was a highlight for me. As awful as Thorne has been to Jon, he's still a veteran of the Night's Watch, and believes firmly in his cause. You've got to respect someone who sees the biggest, baddest dude on the battlefield and runs toward him. Hell yeah.

Best scene:

I agree, if not the best then certainly quite memorable. I'm glad they showed Ser Alliser having the vastly superior sword-fighting skills that a genuine knight would have over commoners (which is what most of the Crows are, and the wildlings for that matter). There just isn't any comparison in terms of sword-fighting skills between an even strong and quick commoner and an otherwise healthy armored knight -- they're simply miles apart.

Archived