(Show spoilers) how could they kill...

Dolorous Edd will definitly have a more expanded role next year. I'm really glad of this and loved him this episode.

But I am still so sad for Pyp.

Grenn's death is heroic as hell !

Tormund will calm down later I hope and be more open to talks with Jon. He has too considering all there is to come.

I think Tormund will take the role of Val next season. Someone has to go and spread the word with the wildlings

Two words, CASTING BUDGET. The series is only going to expand in cast going forward with the Martells, Jon Conn and crew, the Greyjoys (if included), etc. Grenn and Pyp have done nothing in the books so far other than support Jon and you can cast other random wall peeps down the road if needed. Plus they give the losses at the wall some emotional impact other than seeing 50 nameless extras get offed.

Two words, CASTING BUDGET. The series is only going to expand in cast going forward with the Martells, Jon Conn and crew, the Greyjoys (if included), etc. Grenn and Pyp have done nothing in the books so far other than support Jon and you can cast other random wall peeps down the road if needed. Plus they give the losses at the wall some emotional impact other than seeing 50 nameless extras get offed.

Yes it's casting budget, but it wasn't done because they had to save money. It was done because they didn't cast additional Wall characters in prior seasons (Donal Noye mainly).

My girlfriend "who dies???"

Me "well...as far as the nights watch goes, none of them that are in the show..."

Realized we were losing some of them then.

Also, I think it's safe to say - Olly is here to stay now. Jon's steward? That alone fills in the hole left by those two IMO

I didn't mind their deaths; they were emotional and added to the tragic scale of the battle. Plus, they have little to no parts in future storylines. I only wish that their characters were built up a bit. My SO thought that Pyp's death was much sadder than Ygritte's.

This. And they were not just killed for shock value. Both of their deaths had meaning (Grenn's more so then Pyp's).

I really was praying that they didn't kill tormund...I knew grenn was dead as son as jon said hold the tunnel no matter what. I'm assuming ions relationship with Ed will improve along with more face time with Sam.

I think Grenn and Jon knew it, too. That was great acting from both actors.

Felt like reading the Red Wedding all over again.

This can't be happening. This can't be happening.

Well, maybe this is D&D's answer to everybody saying that the RW had less impact because there were no named Stark banner men that died. "You want deaths of likable secondary characters? Here you go!" :leaving:

I think Tormund will take the role of Val next season. Someone has to go and spread the word with the wildlings

I thought Tormund might take the place of Sigorn in the Alys Karstark marriage subplot, although that seems like something that's likely to be cut.

i kinda wish jon still had his boys with him… we'll need some new characters at the wall then?

There's no way they're adding any non-essentials to the Wall. They killed of the badass bros 'cause of budget cuts, so it'd be pointless to replace them with lesser characters.

But obviously they'll add the important ones and that might make up for it, depending on how it's played out.

I actually liked that they died. Not that I dislike them. Still wish Donal was fighting the giant though.

Agreed. I like both Grenn and Pyp (book and show), but they're not essential moving forward. Thought their deaths were profound and added weight to the episode; I was quite saddened by them (and it seems Unsullied were, too)!

I love that Grenn took Donal's spot to fight "Mag". Noye was always a favourite minor character of mine in the books, but I'm happy that someone like Grenn took up the hammer for him.

They needed what Donal Noye was for book readers, a decent man and a likeable characters that represents what a good sworn brother of the night watch should be (in opposition with rapists, murderers, dodgy characters and Janos Slynt).

Also,for as much as I like them, Pyp and Grenn won't have a key role in the next couple of books, therefore they were expendables.

LOL I never knew how many fans Pyp and Grenn had. I like that they died. Not that I hated their characters, but if it's a battle, you have to have major casualties. Pyp dying did make me sad, and Grenn replacing Donal Noye didn't annoy me at all. His death was very heroic. Why are people mad that they died? They don't do anything in aDwD, and I doubt that GRRM has any big plans for them, so it made sense to kill them. I think they want to make space for Bowen Marsh and Othell Yarwyck next season.

Archived