(Show spoilers) how could they kill...

Yeah but nobody would give a shit if Locke died. I think Grenn was pretty much a marked man since the first previews came out, possibly before. He went out in a great way. Pyp on the other hand didn't have to go at all. That was my only nit-pick with the episode besides the obvious one.

Pyp wen't out in a typical anti-climatic GRRM fashion. Plus it wasn't really in his character to be a bad ass, he was a poet wasn't he not? Sad this two died, the 4 musketeers band is no longer now:(

Their deaths were the only disappointing part this episode. They don't have a big part to play in the series to come from what we've read in the books, making them an easy choice to kill and as stated above the budget must of come into consideration especially with the expanded cast of next season. The screenwriters think the only way to make an emotional impact on the viewer is to kill off a character, it's really poor screenwriting to be honest.

We saw Pyp grow as a character in the space of the first part of the episode only for them to kill him off, the Grenn death was a bit more understandable but still, they could've introduced Donald Noye over the pas few weeks instead of the little boy who kills Ygritte, Colin. I'm gutted, especially because the actors who played both parts were brilliant in their roles :crying: .

"I hope GRRM makes Pyp and Grenn the Queen and King of Westeros just to fuck with D&D" - Random guy on youtube

But honestly, Donal Noye's death affected me more

Imagine how awesome it would be if we would have gotten a reuniting between Stannis and him

Pyp, Grenn and Edd were like the 3 stooges, who's going to provide comic relief in between Jons brooding now?

:bawl:

Pyps death was so bad, i had a flashback to season 1 when he was put on the wall because he stole bread for his sister

:bawl:

I cried

I thought they would die and wasn't wrong...and their deaths added a tragic impact that the books didn't have at all, which I liked. If they were just going to leave the story by being sent away, anyway, better for them to die when it matters.

I didn't like seeing them die because I do enjoy their characters in both the books and the show, but the fact that Jon has lost his family and is now losing his brothers really hits home. War is a contact sport, if it was just nameless Black Brothers dying it wouldn't have had the impact. Pyp went out in the way many do - a random, nameless arrow that took you unaware. Grenn got to go out like a hero, but is dead nonetheless.

That leaves Jon with only two close friends - Sam and Dolorous Ed. I did not expect Gren and Pyp to die. That was a shock to me.

It makes me wonder what that says about the future of the Night's Watch since HBO seems to indicate that there are a lot fewer of them left than the books did. I wonder what that will mean for the future of Jon Snow and Winterfell. This episode raised more questions than gave answers to me as an avid book reader and HBO show fan. I loved the episode though, it was fabulous.

Although they are probably not essential characters, I can't believe they Grenn and Pyp got killed of this episode! (especially Grenn who had stood alongside Jon since Day 1 in the watch). I have to admit though, it would have been epic to actually see him and the other nights watch brothers fight Mag the Mighty, although it was a great way for him to be go out from the series. As someone mentioned before, I will be happy if Dolorous Edd survives this season and the next.

I would rather see the characters die dramatically and early in a battle than to not have them at all. We needed to care about someone who died, so it makes sense and leaves Jon with 2 Nights Watch buddies.

It could just as easily be Maester Aemon.

I'm just glad they didn't decide to save CGI costs and kill off Ghost!!!

i understand using grenn instead of donal noye, but why the fuck of all deaths this episode, this one had to be off screen?!
could have been so fucking awesome to see on screen.. potentially could even match oberyn's exquisite death!

and in another notion:
thank you D&D for sparing the magnificent dolorous edd!!

i understand using grenn instead of donal noye, but why the fuck of all deaths this episode, this one had to be off screen?!

could have been so fucking awesome to see on screen.. potentially could even match oberyn's exquisite death!

and in another notion:

thank you D&D for sparing the magnificent dolorous edd!!

Personally, I think it worked better that way because then you are shocked by it when Jon and Sam walk upon them.

It was pretty pretty obvious that Pyp was gonna die from the moment the camera first showed him with shaking hands followed by that conversation about how the odds aren't in his favor. It was pretty realistic too.

As for Grenn... that was pretty realistic too.

Both deaths were sad, but at least something happened in this damned episode...

Also shocked how many people seemed to think Thorne died, when he was telling his men to fight a large stannis.

Well, ask any of the Stannis fans what would be the outcome of trying to fight a large Stannis. Perfectly reasonable to assume that death is the outcome of that situation.

Dolorous Edd will definitly have a more expanded role next year. I'm really glad of this and loved him this episode.

But I am still so sad for Pyp.

Grenn's death is heroic as hell !

Tormund will calm down later I hope and be more open to talks with Jon. He has too considering all there is to come.

well said :agree:

tbh i'm okay with them killing pyp and grenn (and possibly ser Aliser) in aDwD they are still alive but Jon sent them to staff the rebuilt castles along the wall, so its doubtful they will have anymore significant role in the plot, and they dont really feature in Jons plot as well, so there deaths have very little if any impact on the plot of the books. Plus in the book battle, the only significant one to die was Donal Noye (and Ygritte) and obviously he wasnt there, so it felt more realistic for a few more characters to die in battle, especially since the show probably wouldnt have much use for those characters past this season anyway. I would prefer for Grenn to die fighting the giant, therefore keeping that part from the book, than have him survive

Archived