(Show spoilers) how could they kill...

Posted about this before, but maybe the mystery killer cook Nights Watchman who killed a Wildling with a frying pan and another with a sword could be a new Jon Snow ally/name character.

The one with the meat cleaver was three finger hobb, who they have mentioned before but never shown, fingers crossed he starts getting screen time. And they can introduce other watchmen like iron emmet and Jaramy Rykker, they also did have character representations for Othell yarwick and bowen marsh, but they will most likely only stay background noise. Its a shame as i like almost every nights watch member (at least in the books).

Why didn't Grenn and the others back away from the gate? They all got crushed... yet somehow the giant died too. Idk, seemed a little silly. Should have shot it with arrows as it was charging at them. Instead they stood there and did the little Night's Watch chant and then smush. Bummer. Grenn was a badass.

They said that it had been shot with 20 arrows already...I don't think more would have phased it and arrows are a shit weapon in close combat.

When asked about minor character deaths (that aren't dead in the books) I believe D&D said they have to kill characters off to be able to cast new ones.

I personally just don't like the fact that they now know exactly what happens in the last books so if they kill someone who isn't dead in the books (or do things very differently) we can assume things / see that something/someone isn't as relevant as we might have thought they were etc and I'm worried that it will ruin our book experience. But at the same time, if I just stopped watching the show, I would see all the spoilers posted everywhere (which is another thing I really hate - us book readers have kept our mouths shut for ages about book spoilers and as soon as the show aired, nothing is a secret anymore...

GRRM has also once said that the showrunners will face big problems because of their decision to cut Tyrell siblings. So I guess the showrunners don't seem to know a lot in details. And they probably don't know the fate of the likes of Grenn and Pyp either.

They do. Hell, we do...they get shipped off without another word.

The plain fact is GRRM has too many fucking characters, most of which get mentioned once or twice and have very little reason to be there. Even book readers forget them or mix them up with other people...I have to check the wiki to remember them sometimes. He's free to do it, of course, but it weakens the story when we don't have emotional investment in the characters we are reading about.

The showrunners don't have that luxury because each character they cast costs money and takes up valuable screen time, so they have to simplify their character list by combining or completely cutting out characters to make it easier for the show watchers to follow. Even then, it's still crowded. They know which characters are important to the books..,but that doesn't mean those characters are or will be important to the show. It's not one for one, and Martin isn't the authority on what will be important in the show...only his books.

I enjoyed the scenes this season with the Crow Bros, and at least they went out with weapons in hand. Has Daeron been introduced yet? I can't remember what season it was, but he should be at Eastwatch now.

I enjoyed the scenes this season with the Crow Bros, and at least they went out with weapons in hand. Has Daeron been introduced yet? I can't remember what season it was, but he should be at Eastwatch now.

He was in the first season, the episode where Jon is placed with the stewards. He has no lines. Here's what he looks like.

I'm worried that it will ruin our book experience. But at the same time, if I just stopped watching the show, I would see all the spoilers posted everywhere (which is another thing I really hate - us book readers have kept our mouths shut for ages about book spoilers and as soon as the show aired, nothing is a secret anymore...

I don't see why you worry about it. As most who dislike the show have stated, the way the showrunners/writers are destroying the carefully drawn-out plotlines Mr. Martin has crafted over the last 18 or so years, season 5-7 will be completely altered. There will be nothing to compare, so there won't be any secrets revealed or spoilers to be concerned about. :)

Truth to be told, Grenn and Pyp while being enjoyable characters never did something major in ADWD. From that perspective I can understand why they killed them. After all, they didn't want to just kill nameless soldiers, they wanted to kill some characters we care for.

Still, I don't think it's a good choice because the Wall already has a few likable characters in the tv series. I worry how the next season will progress on the wall with such a few good characters. At least, I hope they'll add some new black brothers to fill the gap.

If it had been shot by 20 arrows and survived that's pretty unbelieveable that ANYTHING the night's watch could do would kill it.

It's a giant. I doubt they have normal skin that can be easily penetrated by something like an arrow. It was probably akin to having porcupine needles shot at it...it would hurt, but it wouldn't be remotely fatal.

Truth to be told, Grenn and Pyp while being enjoyable characters never did something major in ADWD. From that perspective I can understand why they killed them. After all, they didn't want to just kill nameless soldiers, they wanted to kill some characters we care for.

Still, I don't think it's a good choice because the Wall already has a few likable characters in the tv series. I worry how the next season will progress on the wall with such a few good characters. At least, I hope they'll add some new black brothers to fill the gap.

Well, it's going to have several major characters there (likable or not depends on your view, I guess). I'm sure there will be plenty of interest in that. I would be surprised if Tormund doesn't become more of a main character at the Wall, considering the role he has in the books. And I have a feeling that after viewers see how Jon's story progresses, he'll get some more fans who never really cared much about him before.

I call 'bull' on that. GRRM thinks about all his minor characters that way. He said the same about the Dothraki that Drogo kills, yet he was/is a character that can be replaced by any generic Dothraki in the future.

Well, I kinda agree about Mago. He can be replaced for the plot purposes. But Willas may play a role in the books where him being the heir of Highgarden will play an important factor. And the show can't introduce him anymore because of the one line in season 3 that could have been easily avoided.

I get why they killed them and I thought it was excellently executed, but still...

Think the most unnerving thing about their deaths is that us fans of the books aren't even safe in knowing who lives and who dies when watching the show. It's almost like George and the showrunners have made a pact to keep killing off characters to keep us on our toes.

I get why they killed them and I thought it was excellently executed, but still...

Think the most unnerving thing about their deaths is that us fans of the books aren't even safe in knowing who lives and who dies when watching the show. It's almost like George and the showrunners have made a pact to keep killing off characters to keep us on our toes.

I don't know about you, but I do know that I love it XD It's nice to know that not everything is going to go the way we think it will.

My girlfriend "who dies???"

Me "well...as far as the nights watch goes, none of them that are in the show..."

Realized we were losing some of them then.

Also, I think it's safe to say - Olly is here to stay now. Jon's steward? That alone fills in the hole left by those two IMO

I don't know, I think I might have much rather have had the Gianted Bow and Arrow sling that kid back at least as far as Mole's Town and out of my life? :dunno: I know, I know, I'm evil. :devil:

Archived