"Positive Nitpicking" - What you loved about the episode [NO SPOILERS]

I really liked the Jon & Ygritte scene it was everything that I've been hoping/waiting for. I think I even shed a tear. I may even now be able to forgive them for having Ygritte kill the old man w/ an arrow instead of opening his throat. These were my two favorite Ygritte moments and one the got perfect the other the completely botched.

I loved all the stuff w/ the little kid.

Its always a pleasure to see Maester Aemon.

The Giants and the Mammoths! I told myself as long as they had them they could bungle everything else.

The way Edd defended the Wall was pretty cool as well. So were those serious a** giants arrows, I mean man. And I loved how that one giant was like eff this I'm opening this gate myself lol and came running down the tunnel

One thing about Thorne though- He's getting a lot of praise and it was all good yay Thorne but he just didn't do it for me. I feel like he did what he was suppose to do/what was expected of him and anything less could be comparable to Slynt hiding away in the cupboard w/ Gilly and the babe.

The last twenty or so minutes were stellar.

As a former film major, my inner film geek was going wild during that beautiful uncut panoramic action shot. It was stellar.

I also loved Ghost.

Loved Thorne, never thought I'd say that.

LOVED when Jon Snow was lowered from the cage and the music hit and he immediately jumped into BAMF mode.

The CGI for the giants and the mammoths was spectacular, holy cow.

I know the slow motion with Jon holding Ygritte was unrealistic, but it was really touching for me so I was willing to suspend disbelief in that moment to simply appreciate the beauty and the sadness of it all.

- John Bradley killed it in this episode!

- The Giants, especially seeing a giant riding a mammoth! (the giant archer was awesome too)

- The scythe of death!

- Grenn and Co saying the NW oath and dying like bosses in the tunnel against the king of the giants!

- Jon killing the Magnar with a hammer to the head!

Tbh there wasn't much I didn't love in this episode. It's by far my favorite of the season, and probably since 'And Now His Watch Has Ended'.

Jon / Styr was amazing ! The choregraphy mastered by the actor ! Kit has been increidible at sword-fight the entire episode and the rapidity of his movements D&D teased us was phenomenal !

And I loved that he showed he learnt the lesson from Karl. No honor ! Spit at that ugly face ! And the final skull-smashing !

I also loved that his meeting with Ygritte was just after the duel. You see that Jon barely stands up, he's exhausted, hurt, half knocked-down and there she is, the woman he loves.

Kit's smile was perfect, so full of love, hope and resignation. Very well done the both of them ! Rose Leslie delivered Ygritte's last lines perfectly and I shared my tear at her death.

Maybe I'm on the minority here but I loved the slow-mo shot. It is an amazig visual ! Really beautiful !

EDIT :

I know the slow motion with Jon holding Ygritte was unrealistic, but it was really touching for me so I was willing to suspend disbelief in that moment to simply appreciate the beauty and the sadness of it all.

Exactly ! I loved being able to breath and let the feels sink in before switching back to the real shitstorm during that shot.

And that sequence-shot of the battle ! Waaaaaaw !

I missed that part! (I really really needed to go to the ladies room... and this fucking thing doesn't have commercials) Jon killing someone with a Hammer isn't a bit ironic??

Hah, I hadn't thought of that. It was only a teeny tiny hammer though, not a big fuck off hammer like Robert used.

Alliser Thorne was EASILY the best part of this episode. His delivery, his lines, his fight with Tormund - all of it, perfect.

Definitely one of the best actors in the TV series, and one of the very very very few instances of the show improving on a character rather than urinating all over one.

Agree 100% on the Thorne part.

Can't agree on the rest. Bronn, osha, spring to mind without trying.

LOVED when Jon Snow was lowered from the cage and the music hit and he immediately jumped into BAMF mode.

That was absolutely my favorite part...it's just like "Hell yeah, bitches...let's do this!" It was the perfect start of that panorama shot.

Archived