[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

I'm still watching this nonsense, but...

If you're going to spend a whole damn episode on a battle, think you could make it involve some actual intelligent interesting tactics? Or perhaps set up some drama preceding this through the whole stupid season? No, it's just a full episode battle that's hardly been prepped the whole season, in terms of its relevance.

Think you could actually CGI show hundred and thousands of enemies?

Think you could do anything less cliched with all the bravado and the heroic speeches and the swordfights that last forever? bah.

Duuude...

I feel NOTHING during Ygritte's death.

Maybe because the whole season HBO portrayed like a sour bitch.

I actually WANTED HER dead.

I feel that way about all the wildlings in the show. I'm gonna be fuming Bowen Marsh-style when Jon lets that pack of murderers through the Wall

Is it just me, or was EVERY SINGLE LINE of dialogue in this episode absolutely cringeworthy and horrible?

That's about right. The trouble is these guys suck at writing. I'm glad I watched with only half an eye, it was truly pathetic.

Duuude...

This. I told my friends this was the only part of all the books where I cried. I didnt like her death in this episode.

I feel that way about all the wildlings in the show. I'm gonna be fuming Bowen Marsh-style when Jon lets that pack of murderers through the Wall

Just had this conversation with Unsullied. I'm like "we're not supposed to completely cheer for the NW because the wildings are running from the Others, and they're going to kill them and their families". But HBO hasn't really portrayed that, the wildings are only for the "WANNA KILL CROWS!!!". Fock, HBO. Fock

Duuude...

:agree:

I never cared much for Ygritte in the books either; but I thought that TV-Ygritte had poor chemistry with TV-Jon (he's got more chemistry with Sam than he has with Ygritte). The actress was trying hard, and I've seen her on Downton Abbey and thought she did very well; but I couldn't stand the character of Ygritte or the writing for her. I thought that young boy was very brave, considering how scared he had been earlier in the battle and how he'd witnessed his village and parents massacred by Wildlings, to avenge his father by killing Ygritte.

Also: Someday I will watch a fantasy battle scene where the tactics aren't reduced to:

"Should we fire at the enemy?"

"But I'm scared. And I was just going to stand here?"

"Don't worry, somebody told us fighting is worth doing, so do it!"

"Oh thank god because I wasn't going to fight without being convinced first."

Someday I will watch a fantasy battle scene like the ones in GRRM's books, where the smart good guys plan a clever trap on a bridge to stop the Thenns. And the leaders don't all get killed. And people send Jon to go do a suicidal thing rather than him sending himself out on a hopeless stupid mission.

Someday.

Just had this conversation with Unsullied. I'm like "we're not supposed to completely cheer for the NW because the wildings are running from the Others, and they're going to kill them and their families". But HBO hasn't really portrayed that, the wildings are only for the "WANNA KILL CROWS!!!". Fock, HBO. Fock

So true. Hopefully Mance will mention the Others next episode, because the writers apparently forgot about the invincible undead army pressing at their heels

Um. Where's Stannis????? Obviously that's the biggest WTF of this episode.

I love Sam. I do not like Gilly. Enough of that, please.

But seriously. WHERE THE HELL WAS STANNIS!!! I'm not even a fan of the guy and I wanted to see him!

Also: Someday I will watch a fantasy battle scene where the tactics aren't reduced to:

"Should we fire at the enemy?"

"But I'm scared. And I was just going to stand here?"

"Don't worry, somebody told us fighting is worth doing, so do it!"

"Oh thank god because I wasn't going to fight without being convinced first."

Someday I will watch a fantasy battle scene like the ones in GRRM's books, where the smart good guys plan a clever trap on a bridge to stop the Thenns. And the leaders don't all get killed. And people send Jon to go do a suicidal thing rather than him sending himself out on a hopeless stupid mission.

Someday.

Careful there, some might say that's....PURIST talk. :rolleyes: If you think a change doesn't make sense, you are an eeeeevil PURIST and you should just STOP WATCHING.

Um. Where's Stannis????? Obviously that's the biggest WTF of this episode.

I love Sam. I do not like Gilly. Enough of that, please.

But seriously. WHERE THE HELL WAS STANNIS!!! I'm not even a fan of the guy and I wanted to see him!

Yeah I kind of really wanted to see some Stannis awesomeness. Now his arrival will be just one of multiple storylines next week.

Now she died, I will give my opinion.

I love Y/J relationship in books, because it's a nice contrast: Jon is sexually innocent. Ygritte isn't. But she's quite innocent about "life" in a way Jon isn't. They kinda portrayed this when she tells "oh, yeah... we'll climb the wall and we kill everybody" and Jon tells her the harsh true: Westeros will pass you over if you try. The good thing about Ygritte is that she's a simple woman, exactly what Jon wanted, a simple life with a wife and kids, but at the moment, he didn't know he wanted that.

showYgritte is only there for a reason: "I'm so badass because HBO wants to show woman are so badass too and you know nothing, Jon Snow, except that thing you do with the mouth". And when Jon is gone, she does nothing but say "omg I so hate him because he's soooo mean" like a 13 years old sour girl who can't get over her boyfriend left her.

So, yes. She's, IMO, one of the characters "butchered", but as she isn't that popular, isn't something that people actually notices. I'm glad she's gone.

As I remember from the books, there were moments when the Wildlings, at least some of them, treated Jon well, and seemed to be fairly decent people. Mance Rayder took Jon into his tent, played music, introduced him to Dalla; etc. But on the show, all of them glowered at Jon, made fun of him, threatened him and bullied him; except for Ygritte who at least was fairly obvious about wanting to hang around with him. Why on earth would Jon feel any empathy or kindness for these people?

I don't remember the Wildlings slaughtering a village full of innocent people just going about their business in the book; did I forget it or was it another made-up scene for TV?

Archived