[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

Stannis scenes got replaced with Sam&Gilly scenes, now who doesn't love that.

Does anyone care about Sam and Gilly??? Or Sam talking about not having had sex? Haven't we got that already dozens of times??? That first scene on top of the wall, was I the only one thinking "don't care don't care don't care"? I actually found it a bit creepy when he said "you're the closest thing I'm ever gonna get to blablablalbla". I am starting to really hate Sam.

So, where you think Stannis's moment will be placed in the next episode? I think right before a Dany scene. Or maybe right before Tyrion kills Tywin, we wouldn't want the audience to get invested into Stannis now would we.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if D&D only read through the books once - and then just use spark notes when writing episodes.

The blame is often unfairly laid upon the actors(particularly Kit Harrington and Sophie Turner and Emilia Clarke get this REAL bad) - but honestly, the show's always had a great cast of actors and decent directors/special effects geeks/action scene maker whatevers.

It's the writing which is fucking horrible. From the cringeworthy, painful dialogue to the overarching story writing. Ugh,

(I will note, as I did in the positive thread, that Alliser Thorne was a real delight in this episode. His lines were all good, his delivery was spot on, and his fight with Tormund thrilling.)

I have a fair few things to complain about: Lack of scale or epic feel, no real tension, lack of emotional depth (for me personally at least), a lot of cringeworthy dialogue, flat-out shitty Sam and Gilly scenes, etc. But the thing I really want to discuss, is

NO FUCKING STANNIS!!!

I checked, and this has been the shortest episode of Game of Thrones ever. They had ten minutes already left to put Jon's meeting with Mance and the arrival of Stannis, and they could have taken out the dumb Jon/Sam talk about sex. That would have given them almost fifteen minutes extra time! I understand that the battle spans over more than one night, but when you spend eight bloody episodes building UP to the battle, I expect that was done so the episode could be a complete package, not have some cheap and lazy cliffhanger at the end. The battle ended suddenly, and there was no proper climax.

Now the result of this dumb decision is that Stannis' most heroic and cheer worthy moment will just be an afterthought, quickly wrapped up so we can get more Khaleesi and the funny dwarf, cause gods forbid Stannis gets any meaningful time dedicated to just him.

I think we Stannis fans have now officially earned the right to be pissed the fuck off at D&D, right...?

Just wait till we get "Lord of Light! Lord of Light! Lord of Light!"

Seriously what should've been an heroic victory, gets overshadowed by a dwarf telling moronic stories about beetles.

Good job D&D!

Another nitpick:

The NW looked to be more than 100 in number. By the seeming death count on the Wall an in Castle Black it looked like there shouldn't be more than 10 NWmen left alive.

It ended and my family just kinda collectively went "wait...that's it?"

The direction was fine, but man, the script was so weak. Worst ep of the seasom for sure.

-The opening 15 minutes were so terribly scripted.

-Not even one scene with Stannis.

-Why didn't we see Mance at least giving orders?

-Why didn't they shoot the mammoth/giants down much earlier?

-This whole battle was NOT built up at all. "Oh hey these wildlings are coming and OH SHIT THEY'RE HERE AHHH"

-No real suspense at all

Can I join the Stannis support group? I don't know what to do with myself. I'm lying on the floor with no hope, as my favourite scene in the book has been reduced to episode 10 filler.

We will definitely get something like this ...

the Wildlings are at camp, showering Jon with gifts and the songs of their people Jon smiles, enjoying this valuable cultural experience a cry is heard in the distance suddenly, the camera pans to the thundering stampede of a thousand men on horses we see Stannis driving the men to fight by cracking a flaming whip "FORM RANKS, YOU DOGS" in the distance, Wildling women and children are burning, the soundtrack a high screaming wail "TAKE THE WOMEN FOR OUR THRALLS," Stannis shouts, "FEED THE BABES TO THE FIRES" "Yes," cries Davos, "R'hllor hungers!" Jon looks on, his face grief-stricken "Seven save us," Jon whispers, "he's even making the women and children pay the Iron price!"

I don't get it, I like Stannis and wanted to see him, but I didn't want him to basically show up rushed like Tywin did, which I thought was bad.

I agree with the people wondering sit Mance, at least one scene or two would've been good. But whatever, taking the episode by itself without comparing it to the books, I liked it overall and it was thoroughly entertaining.

So I rewatched the 4x10 promo, paying attention to the Wall bits, and I believe Mance says (even though it's hard to hear him), "we'll kill every last man in Castle Black," and there's also a shot of someone holding a dagger to Jon's throat. I'm hoping beyond hope at this point that that is when Stannis arrives, essentially saving Jon's life. Because I swear, if Stannis arrives and starts killing wildlings when Jon and Mance reach a peaceful agreement, I will actually be so fucking done with this show. Even though by now I should not be optimistic at all with this show, I will try to be for the last time.

Overall I iked this episode quite a lot. I was expecting Stannis arrival as the ending scene though, I'm not even a Stannis fan, but that was disappointing. IAnother small nitpick, the NW-men were dropping like flies during the fight, I feel like half of them are dead already. Also, I expected Ygrittes death to be more emotional. I was not that moved by that scene. i felt more for Ellaria when Oberyn died last episode.

* Watching the mammoth and giants approach, doing nothing

* Tormund's unconvincing swordplay. Seriously, go watch it again it's really terrible and clumsy.

* Jon Snow's face not being caved in by that anvil hit

* Infinite supply of NW redshirts (blackshirts?) after it's been clearly established how few men they have

* Surgical strike Ghost: get in, bite face, exit stage left. I wanted to see him run wild the way Grey Wind is described as doing during battle.

* No sense of the larger structure of the fight. Random, convenient cuts back and forth between top of the Wall, wildlings running at the forest edge, and the battle in the yard as necessary to drive the character moments, but no overarching structure to the battle. It simply went on until all the points were covered then ended for no apparent reason.

* Stannis crybabies infesting this board

>Episode 10 opens up with Jon and Mance parlay

>Cut to Daenerys sitting in throne room, she may or may not say something sternly

>Cut to outside the Wall, the battle is over offscreen and Stannis gives thanks to the Lord of Light

>They burn Shireen and the archer boy

>Melisandre gives Davos a high five

>It's really a high zero

>Cut to Jaime freeing Tyrion, they talk about beetles again

Overall I iked this episode quite a lot. I was expecting Stannis arrival as the ending scene though, I'm not even a Stannis fan, but that was disappointing. IAnother small nitpick, the NW-men were dropping like flies during the fight, I feel like half of them are dead already. Also, I expected Ygrittes death to be more emotional. I was not that moved by that scene. i felt more for Ellaria when Oberyn died last episode.

I felt a lot more for Ellaria at Oberyn's death than I did for Jon and Ygritte. Not just because Oberyn is a favorite character of mine in book and TV show; but because the two characters like each other as well as lust for/love each other and convey an onscreen feeling of long association; as if they've been together for years and are happy with each other and their arrangement. And when Ellaria kissed Oberyn before the duel; they seemed to physically fit together. I didn't get that much passion from Jon & Ygritte, despite the supposed intensity of their doomed love affair; I found them an awkward pairing.

There certainly don't seem to be many NW left. They'll have to draft the little boy who killed Ygritte, and, at this rate, Gilly's infant son.

Most of my nitpicks are pretty small for this episode. Biggest one is probably the fact that Janos Slynt is like a cartoon character. He's like the bumbling coward from a bad comedy movie, not a dangerous asshole like he is in the book.

I don't know. I always pictured him as an inept cartoon character. He only did stuff when Thorne told him to.

Yeah, honestly, I expect the scene to go like this

>Heated words between Mance and Jon

>They come to a peace treaty of some sort

>Stannis comes in and ruins said peace

So it'll end up making Stannis look like a villain. Ugh.

Mance in the preview "I will kill every man in Castle Black". You guys are going to get your heroic Stannis moment.

lol it was so predictable that Jon was going to take over when Janos stepped in for Alliser. I just knew they would have Jon and Ygritte somehow confront one another before her death, and it was really cheesy, like something out of a bad movie like Troy, wait - didn't David Benioff write that? It's so stupid that Jon is willingly going on a suicide mission rather than being forced to. Bad episode.

Archived