[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

Honestly, I would not be surprised if D&D only read through the books once - and then just use spark notes when writing episodes.

The blame is often unfairly laid upon the actors(particularly Kit Harrington and Sophie Turner and Emilia Clarke get this REAL bad) - but honestly, the show's always had a great cast of actors and decent directors/special effects geeks/action scene maker whatevers.

It's the writing which is fucking horrible. From the cringeworthy, painful dialogue to the overarching story writing. Ugh,

(I will note, as I did in the positive thread, that Alliser Thorne was a real delight in this episode. His lines were all good, his delivery was spot on, and his fight with Tormund thrilling.)

Yeah, D&D are hack writers all things considered. There is a really apparent difference in quality of dialogue and plotting between the scenes they lift almost straight from the books, and the ones they choose to design on their own.

Wow, I didn't know that.. it's so perfect that Benioff wrote Troy. I raged so hard at that movie after reading The Iliad. Typical ego doof, thinks he can improve timeless writing with his own take on it. And then when there needs to be some good TV writing like next season, he won't be able to find quality from his own brain.

Wow, I didn't know that.. it's so perfect that Benioff wrote Troy. I raged so hard at that movie after reading The Iliad. Typical ego doof, thinks he can improve timeless writing with his own take on it. And then when there needs to be some good TV writing like next season, he won't be able to find quality from his own brain.

He also wrote Wolverine Origins :ack:

50 FUCKING MINUTES? REALLY? HAVE I BEEN WAITING ALL THIS TIME FOR A MEASLY FUCKING 50 MINUTES! 20 OF WHICH DIDN'T EVEN CONTAIN ACTION! WHERE THE FUCK IS <b>STANNIS</b>/end rant

Now, more seriously. This episode was way to short. Especially, since we get so much time wasted om Sam (I like John Bradley, but Sam isn't the character we need to be focussing on right now).

I had hoped for a less stagy feel to the fights, didn't think it was very convincing as a battle. But, as far as stage fights go, it was pretty good. Although I wished more people would have taken Tormund's example (can't spell the actor's name), his fighting might have been unrealistic but at least he was so in to it that it didn't feel that way.

Hated Jon vs. Styr. The only positive about that is that they didn't have Ygritte save him before getting wasted herself. I swear everytime Jon fights against a named character, he's a dork who get's his ass handed to him, but when fighting no names he's God's gift to warfare... Just for this once I would have liked to see Jon owning his opponent, without losing his sword or a miraculous save.

The hook thing was really dumb and I didn't get why they did it. They could have picked those wildlings of easily. It was a cool visual though, so I'll let it pass.

Jon and Ygritte was another disappointment. The acting was fine but the moment where it was inserted was just off. Jon, unarmed, going to her and speaking to her, while the battle around him was still raging on! Why didn't any of the Wildlings get after him? I also found the kids "whazz up" moment after he shot Ygritte a bit ridiculous.

Another thing that bothered me was the giants at the gate... Really, they were just standing there out in the open. Nobody ordered to fire on them and it took forever to throw something. Also, Gilly passing the wildlings with a baby. Did they really need to show that? It just made the Wildlings into a joke. I also didn't see the point in Ygritte's killing mode... she could have taken Castle Black on her own with her kill score.

Disappointed that Alliser isn't dead. I think that the show's rendition of the character is better than it's in the books, he's more relatable and understandable (awesome speech and cool convo with Jon btw). It would have been a good end to his arc if he had died in the tunnel. Now, they'll probably make him the <b>baddie that's going to stab Jon</b>

Things I liked:

1) Tormund: Ygritte deserved to die for interrupting the bear story. The actor is just great.

2) Gatt's death: All that speculation, all those teases and in the end he just get's a bolt in the head by Sam the Slayer.

3) Giant bow. I wished the hook thing from the NW had been like this. It was awesome and treatening.

4) Alliser's speech and conversation with Jon

5)Killing a lot of people. Making room for the Ironborn :D

6) Ghost. Although I would not have wasted him on some no name character. Had he killed Styr it would have been better

7)Janos the coward. Sad, that Jon didn't get the wall from Alliser. But they'll fuck up their good work with Alliser anyway so it seems, so it doesn't matter.

8) Jon shooting Tormund. Very powerful convo

9) The cook with the cleaver. They need to bring that guy back as a recurring extra. He was badass + out of all the fighters he was probably the most realistic.

10) More Maester Aemon. The dialogue they gave him was pretty bad, but the man is awesome so fuck it.

11) Kit was passable. Not great or good, but decent at the very least.

Conclusion: Blackwater is still better imo, but this was a valiant efford. I'm worried about Graves take on the conclusion of the battle though, I think Marshall should have shot the whole of the battle, he would certainly do it better than Graves.

Too short, and wasted minutes on utter nonsense at the beginning. When they have attempted to cram so many things into this season it seems bizarre that they have added so many pointless scenes into episodes.

The last two episodes would be immediately improved with the replacement of the beetle scene and Sams virginity. I mean honestly.

Too short, and wasted minutes on utter nonsense at the beginning. When they have attempted to cram so many things into this season it seems bizarre that they have added so many pointless scenes into episodes.

The last two episodes would be immediately improved with the replacement of the beetle scene and Sams virginity. I mean honestly.

Yes this so much this.

D&D are just getting more bloodthirsty. When GRRM kills a character I get the impression that they need to be killed for the story, but D&D said that they killed of Pyp and Grenn because they needed some known faces to die on the NW side, and that they knew that Pyp and Grenn were loved.

That was just awful. Outrageously bad episode

Source:

Where the FUCK was Stannis?!

Don't speak of that horrendous movie here.

It's kind of ridiculous that they put in some unnecessary scenes (Sam/Jon & Sam/Aemon & Tormund bear talk) when the episode is only freaking 50 minutes long. Now in the last episode they "have" to put in there a ton of stuff and I just hope that scenes won't seem too much crowded. I really liked the Wall storyline in the books but I didn't care that much for it in this episode. I was expecting Stannis honestly, so that was probably a disappointment and I don't even like Stannis but his Wall appearance is the best as far as I'm concerned, so I guess we'll see him in the finale.

Having seen it I think Episode 8 and 9 should have been switched. This Battle coming after the Trail by Combat felt like a letdown . its not bad but its also not great. and its doesnt compare to the impact of the red viper.

Also, I feel that we can finally come down on Kit full force. People give Emilia a lot of shit, but in the big scenes she never disappoints. Kit on the other hand... He was just decent, not good, not great. He doesn't look like Jon and he isn't good enough of an actor to make me not care about that.

Some more general complaints, but all relevant to this episode.

The show's treatment of the WIldlings is terrible, I don't care for any of them, in fact, after seeing how bloodthirsty and mad they are I think it's better if the NW just executed them all. In the book they are human, like everyone else, and you care for them.

The fighting choreography in this show is just terrible, everyone just awkwardly swings their weapons around, no technique, no skill. Just stupid flashy moves and nonsensical strikes. On top of that we have the ever present problem of Armor is useless. Is it too much too ask that they get a couple of HEMA experts on the show to teach the actors some moves?

Archived