[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

Some more general complaints, but all relevant to this episode.

The show's treatment of the WIldlings is terrible, I don't care for any of them, in fact, after seeing how bloodthirsty and mad they are I think it's better if the NW just executed them all. In the book they are human, like everyone else, and you care for them.

The fighting choreography in this show is just terrible, everyone just awkwardly swings their weapons around, no technique, no skill. Just stupid flashy moves and nonsensical strikes. On top of that we have the ever present problem of Armor is useless. Is it too much too ask that they get a couple of HEMA experts on the show to teach the actors some moves?

Armour can't be useless if it isn't there! Westeros is still in the stone age it seems. :drunk:

I agree with the rest of your points. The fighting looks like shit. At least the special effects surrounding it are cool, though.

Also, I feel that we can finally come down on Kit full force. People give Emilia a lot of shit, but in the big scenes she never disappoints. Kit on the other hand... He was just decent, not good, not great. He doesn't look like Jon and he isn't good enough of an actor to make me not care about that.

Jon Bradley totally outshines him in most scenes imo.

:agree:

I never cared much for Ygritte in the books either; but I thought that TV-Ygritte had poor chemistry with TV-Jon (he's got more chemistry with Sam than he has with Ygritte). The actress was trying hard, and I've seen her on Downton Abbey and thought she did very well; but I couldn't stand the character of Ygritte or the writing for her. I thought that young boy was very brave, considering how scared he had been earlier in the battle and how he'd witnessed his village and parents massacred by Wildlings, to avenge his father by killing Ygritte.

:agree:

I didn't care for her in the books either but the scene in the books did have a sadness about it. The scene in the show had none, Kit was just off.

Also, I feel that we can finally come down on Kit full force. People give Emilia a lot of shit, but in the big scenes she never disappoints. Kit on the other hand... He was just decent, not good, not great. He doesn't look like Jon and he isn't good enough of an actor to make me not care about that.

So very, very true.

I was having a discussion with someone who said the Kit was "magnificent" (yeah he used that word) in comparison to Emilia's performance last week.

To me that's apples and oranges. You want to make a comparison, make it to the scene were Emilia is forced to smother Drogo http://youtu.be/4zAFHETSTJo.

That's an emotional scene right there.

Jon Bradley totally outshines him in most scenes imo.

True, but up to this point I could never be sure about the man himself. His character was written so terrible, not even Charles Dance could have done anything with it. So, I couldn't really judge his performance. Now, that we have seen this episode, I think we can honestly come to the conclusion that he sucks balls. He's terribly bland and everyone arounds him out acts him. The only good scene this entire episode was with Tormund, but that wasn't nearly enough.

So very, very true.

I was having a discussion with someone who said the Kit was "magnificent" (yeah he used that word) in comparison to Emilia's performance last week.

To me that's apples and oranges. You want to make a comparison, make it to the scene were Emilia is forced to smother Drogo http://youtu.be/4zAFHETSTJo.

That's an emotional scene right there.

Oh yeah, so much better than Ygritte and Jon.

I think that its odd that nobody on the Wall has never heard of the fire at will order, I guess nock, draw, loose does sound cool and commanderly but it was a little silly after the first volley.

This. Plus Pyp & Grenn. Other than that I don't have any other complaints I guess. No big ones anyway. I liked that they had the boy kill Ygritte & I actually like Sam & Gilly better than their book counterparts.

I thought it was a great episode, but Ygritte's death didn't resonate with the same impact as it did in the books (as this season was heavily centered around Kings Landing and Tyrions trial and thus people did not recall the intensity of the relationship between Jon and Ygritte). Also, one tiny nitpick is that I feel there should have been much more wildlings attacking the wall from the north, as it was a bit of a joke having a group of 5 running up to the wall (instead of the hundreds and thousands that there should have been).

Oh yeah, so much better than Ygritte and Jon.

Also, I think that scene suffered because they waited so long to kill her. Her and Jon hadn't been together for a whole season, the emotional investment of the audience is diminished.

In general Kit can be decent (he was good when trying to rally the NW to go to Crasters) but he's inconsistent way to often. This was not the episode to be inconsistent, you get all this screen-time you better freaking deliver.

True, but up to this point I could never be sure about the man himself. His character was written so terrible, not even Charles Dance could have done anything with it. So, I couldn't really judge his performance. Now, that we have seen this episode, I think we can honestly come to the conclusion that he sucks balls. He's terribly bland and everyone arounds him out acts him. The only good scene this entire episode was with Tormund, but that wasn't nearly enough.

In his defense, Jon could be seen as kind of bland until ADwD in the books too. I don't think Kit is horrible, he's just probably the worst of the main characters. I know the guy playing Ramsay auditioned for Jon, I wonder how he would have done with the role.

Right before he was release, I asked where Ghost was. Then Sam opens the gate...releases the Hounds of Hell...and he has a snack.

Only a single nitpick, Pyp's death was kinda lame-ish. He didn't have to die, unlike Grenn.

For me, that was kinda the point of his death. Not all deaths are heroic, sometimes they're just bad timing or being in the wrong spot. I think the fact that it happened ON Sam also was supposed to be another trigger for another portion of Sams spine to stiffen up and Be A Man.

hands down most disappointing episode this season.

how much could they possibly cram in episode 10?

will stannis arrive at the wall this season? will tywin die this season?

They showed shots of both those things in the preview for next week.

I think that its odd that nobody on the Wall has never heard of the fire at will order, I guess nock, draw, loose does sound cool and commanderly but it was a little silly after the first volley.

before the advent of gunpowder they wouldnt be saying fire , would they ?

Also, I think that scene suffered because they waited so long to kill her. Her and Jon hadn't been together for a whole season, the emotional investment of the audience is diminished.

In general Kit can be decent (he was good when trying to rally the NW to go to Crasters) but he's inconsistent way to often. This was not the episode to be inconsistent, you get all this screen-time you better freaking deliver.

The thing is, at this level, decent just isn't good enough. Not everyone is NCW, Stephen Dillane or Charles Dance but at least the rest of the cast is on average good (quite the accomplishment for the actors with these writers). With Kit and someone like Sybil we're already glad if they are 'decent', often we even have to twist ourselves to find them decent. They just fall short.

In his defense, Jon could be seen as kind of bland until ADwD in the books too. I don't think Kit is horrible, he's just probably the worst of the main characters. I know the guy playing Ramsay auditioned for Jon, I wonder how he would have done with the role.

Jon has always been my favorite character in the books. Some might see him as bland, but he sure as hell wasn't. There was so much greatly understated emotion in his arc. So, many great moments (climbing the walls, talking to Mance, defending the wall, finding Ygritte, the Halfhand, etc.) and there is not a single one of them they didn't manage to destroy.

The writing is as always the greatest culprit, but Kit is to blame as well. It seems as if 'decent' is the best he has to offer and in a topnotch series like this is supposed to be he just isn't good enough. If he can't even drive home the big moments, than he has no place here.

They should have cast Kit as Waymar Royce and let that guy play Jon. He supposedly auditioned for Jon as well and that guy would do a better job. Hell, John Bradley would do a better job. It's to late for a recast and people would outrage at losing his hair, but we will never get the Jon we deserve.

before the advent of gunpowder they wouldnt be saying fire , would they ?

shoot at will. Semantics don't take away from the fact that he has a point

5 people climbing the wall, 50 at most with two giants and a Mammoth tackling the gate. 100 or so killed by arrows

Where were the other 99,845 wildlings? No turtle or

There was just no tension on the other side of the wall. They should have spread this battle out over a few episodes having separate battles.

5 people climbing the wall, 50 at most with two giants and a Mammoth tackling the gate. 100 or so killed by arrows

Where were the other 99,845 wildlings? No turtle or

Also what bothered me, "Mance was just testing our defenses"... WHAT? The Wildlings best shot was the attack by the Thenns (both on the show and in the books). They waisted their best opportunity by not going all out against the Wall and tying up as much men as possible on the top.

Archived