[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

If the guy who claims to have seen the season finale is right, there is going to be some serious rage among book readers next week hahaha.

The post, in case anyone hasn't seen it :http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109128-what-do-you-think-will-happen-book-spoilers/page-124#entry5895449 I've bookmarked it just to see if they were actually right :P I don't know if I believe the person, but I want to share in their "I told you so" feeling, if they are telling the truth.

I'm over there trying to read some of that thread now. SEVEN SAVE ME......that thread has exploded!! I'll never be able to read it all. I wish to nitpick the size of that thread.

You know this guy is a real douche if he turns out to be right. Not only does he not use spoilertags (eventhough he spoils an entire episode), he also breaks HBO's trust by telling everyone what's going to happen. No shred of integrity.

I said the same thing to him, and he said he would be demanding an apology from me after it aired XD

Definitely a troll.

I do think just as many people on here (the show side of the forum, anyway) get their knickers in a twist because some people critize the show one little bit.

There are only a few who do that. But, what i see is this:

"Ygritte didnt mention the castle. RUINED FOREVER! D&D ARE FUCKING STUPID AND HACKS! AHHHHH PEOPLE WHO LIKE THIS SHIT ARE JUST PLAIN STUPID!"

You know what? Thats not at all cool. And this is why you will have some people come in like "Bitch, please."

A better way to express a distaste for something is like: "Ok so Ygritte didnt make the callback to that windmill and ask if Castle Black was a real castle. Thats a bummer and i wish they included that because its touching in the books. It would have made her death scene more powerful and they really missed an opportunity there." Or for the Stannis fanatics, instead of frothing at the mouth like they did, they could have been like "This episode would have worked a lot better had Stannis shown up. Im disappointed that Stannis didnt show up like i was hoping."

I think some people misinterpret nitpicking as hating.

When people cry "RUINED FOREVER" and call show runners horrible names, its hating.

It doesnt help that this fandom is almost completely at odds with itself. Hardly anyone posting here can get along with each other. Its pretty toxic.

It doesnt help that this fandom is almost completely at odds with itself. Hardly anyone posting here can get along with each other. Its pretty toxic.

^This.

I will say that it's pretty much like this in every fandom that has an 'original' source, though. Like LotR or Doctor Who...there's always, ALWAYS at each other's throats, trying to prove one version is better than another. It's really no different here.

There are only a few who do that. But, what i see is this:

"Ygritte didnt mention the castle. RUINED FOREVER! D&D ARE FUCKING STUPID AND HACKS! AHHHHH PEOPLE WHO LIKE THIS SHIT ARE JUST PLAIN STUPID!"

You know what? Thats not at all cool. And this is why you will have some people come in like "Bitch, please."

A better way to express a distaste for something is like: "Ok so Ygritte didnt make the callback to that windmill and ask if Castle Black was a real castle. Thats a bummer and i wish they included that because its touching in the books. It would have made her death scene more powerful and they really missed an opportunity there." Or for the Stannis fanatics, instead of frothing at the mouth like they did, they could have been like "This episode would have worked a lot better had Stannis shown up. Im disappointed that Stannis didnt show up like i was hoping."

When people cry "RUINED FOREVER" and call show runners horrible names, its hating.

LOL, that's why a certain tone in posts will cause my eyes to glaze over as I employ the scroll button. Also, tone itself in posting is something that can be misunderstood. Sometimes, what looks like a bunch of all cap screaming can be just a joke, sometimes what looks like distant politeness is really just someone passive agressively putting someone down.

Anyway, don't want to totally derail the thread, and I'm off for now anyway.

Too true.

It's much like two armed camps at times tossing shrapnel back and forth.

Mind you, I've been able to straddle the fence without having crap lobbied at me while posting my thoughts on the GoT threads. The General aSoIaF threads can be much more volatile. They become almost cannibalistic in their approach to those who disagree with them. Which is why I now haunt the GoT forums. I only visit the General forum if I'm feeling lucky/brave. :P

^This.

I will say that it's pretty much like this in every fandom that has an 'original' source, though. Like LotR or Doctor Who...there's always, ALWAYS at each other's throats, trying to prove one version is better than another. It's really no different here.

Ive seen a lot of fandoms. This one is probably the most venomous ive partaken in. Its really not limited to show fans and book fans. Theres a metric fuck ton of in-fighting between just book fans.

Ive seen a lot of fandoms. This one is probably the most venomous ive partaken in. Its really not limited to show fans and book fans. Theres a metric fuck ton of in-fighting between just book fans.

Oh, I completely agree.

This thread would improve if those constantly defending the show or complaining about complainers would stop posting here.

I'd rather read people's nitpicks and nitpick myself.

But! Those of us who are nitpicking the nitpickers are actually nitpicking, no?

So, we are all, in fact, nitpickers on this thread! :)

But! Those of us who are nitpicking the nitpickers are actually nitpicking, no?

So, we are all, in fact, nitpickers on this thread! :)

i am multiquoting the multiquoter here.

but yes, mayhaps we are all nitpickers....

mayhaps we post to the forum just to increase our ranks in the forum...

mayhaps.

so many questions! and so much time, it would seem....

Now you've got me thinking and I wouldn't be surprised at all if D & D have Jaime replace Arys Oakheart and/or Balon Swann and send him to Dorne. I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me. Also, I certainly hope Brienne doesn't bite off Sandor's ear! He's only got one left as it is! :P

Initially I thought exactly that about Jaime replacing a Kingsguard, but cant be Oakheart. If will be, than he cant meet his end at Areo Hotah's axe. I would not be surprised if they'll adapt the story and make Jaime falling in Arianne's graces, but if he is definitely going to Dorne then my bet is that he will replace Swann, and other actor will be cast as Arys.

Initially I thought exactly that about Jaime replacing a Kingsguard, but cant be Oakheart. If will be, than he cant meet his end at Areo Hotah's axe. I would not be surprised if they'll adapt the story and make Jaime falling in Arianne's graces, but if he is definitely going to Dorne then my bet is that he will replace Swann, and other actor will be cast as Arys.

Yeah, [sarcasm alert] at this point I think they'll have Jaime and Bronn replace Oakheart and Swann at the same time and have Bronn be the one who dies while the handless Jaime lives! :rolleyes:

About people defending the show:

There are many topics and discussions out there about how good the series are. There is only ONE topic exclusively created to discuss the problems and criticize each episode. I can see no other way around: the ones who come here complaining about the nitpickers just can't handle the fact that this kind of topic exist (and I think those topics "positive nitpickins" are proof of that.) The intention of coming here and say "well, I don't understand why you guys think that about the show" is clearly to show disapproval. To recognize a apologist is easy: his discussions involve mostly other's views and opinions (trying to understand them or oppose them), and rarely the object of the critique itself.

It's like a christian going to a mosque just to make sure that every muslim knows that he disagrees with their faith.

My problem with the scene is that Jon & co. watch the giant and mammoth approach the gate and the giant affix the grapple-hook thingy to the door and do absolutely nothing for a few minutes. They should have been firing everything they could at the giant, the mammoth and the ropes connecting both to the grapple-hook thingie before it was connected. Finally, Jon gets around to ordering the barrels; but it's too late by then unless they get incredibly lucky, which they don't.

Oh I totally agree, I just found it comical that he treated his mammoth like a Ford F250.

What I find the most worrysome is that they'll probably have Brienne fight the Hound and win. Just so fucking unnecessary, Brienne is good but she's nowhere near the Hound. He beats her in every single aspect of combat (intelligence, size, speed, strength, viciousness, agility, endurance) but I could see D&D letting him lose to Brienne.

Oh man I agree so much. Brienne beating the hound is exactly the sort of thing they'd do, just so that they could pat themselves on the back for having so many strong female characters during their circle jerk a.k.a. Inside the Episode.

I do have a bad feeling that Brienne is going to bite the Hounds ear off, and for reasons unknown she will fail to see that it is the alive Arya Stark that Hotpie just told her about and ride off again with Pod.

That's probably just how it will go down. I mean,hey- show Tywin Lannister spent a whole season hanging with Arya and was smart enough to notice that she was a highborn northern girl posing as a peasant, but wasn't smart enough to consider interrogating her, or to at least evaluate whether it was advisable to have this literate northern girl read his letters and be at his war councils. And he's way, way smarter than Brienne. Arya could probably introduce herself as Schmarya Stark and Brienne wouldn't catch on. She'd just ask if Arya had seen a fair maiden of three-and-ten and then be on her way.

Just saw this Jedi version of Jon vs. Styr. It's so much better with light sabers, at least the unrealistic fighting makes sense then.

It did gave me another serious nitpick though. At 00.32, when Styr comes at Jon after he threw him in that fire, you can clearly see Styr wearing a short sword (like the one Tormund fought with) on his belt. Why the fuck didn't he use that instead of picking Jon up?

This. This is hilarious.

Nah, it wont be Oakheart. If Jaime ends up in Dorne, he will be the Balon Swann.

Oh man I agree so much. Brienne beating the hound is exactly the sort of thing they'd do, just so that they could pat themselves on the back for having so many strong female characters during their circle jerk a.k.a. Inside the Episode.

Gee i dont know, maybe he loses to Brienne because hes got an infected wound on his neck?

Just saiyan.

Archived