[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

"Mance is testing our defences."

Bitch?! How is sending all your troops south of the wall to siege Castle Black "testing?".

"Biggest fire the North has ever seen?" was just a kamikaze move? And what about the 5 climbers? What the hell was Mance expecting?

"Mance is testing our defences."

Bitch?! How is sending all your troops south of the wall to siege Castle Black "testing?".

"Biggest fire the North has ever seen?" was just a kamikaze move? And what about the 5 climbers? What the hell was Mance expecting?

I bet Mance (D&D) really wanted to see the scythe move, which is the only reason i think there were only 5-6 people climbing.

I think the important parts were fine. I just don't enjoy the sex & women talk filler - they weren't in the books and they add nothing to the show.

It just feels like they think they have to add them, so they do. But asoiaf is a great story in an of itself, and I think people get it, so why do they think they keep having to create and gloat over love interests.

Edd

They should have killed him. Edd isn't the real Dolorous Edd anyway, Grenn on the other hand was played by a very good actor, he should have remained.

Agree with many of the nitpics posted, but here's something I really didn't get...

TV Mance was quoted as saying "I'm gonna light the biggest fire the North has ever seen." I guess that was his "ace" in TV show, since the TV show has chosen to ignore the Horn of Joramun (which was a fake anyways). So while they're standing atop the Wall this episode, sure enough there's a gigantic fire in the woods before the Wall. Ummmmm- why? The Wall is 700 feet high, and those fires though close were still no-where near the Wall. So the smoke nor the fire serves a purpose in the battle. Actually building fortifications to assault the Wall is probably unrealistic even for a TV show, but you could still use the wood for fire, cover...ANYTHING other than getting smoke in your own armies eyes.

The ONLY reasoning I could figure is that the Wildling army started that fire BEHIND them for protection against the undead/WW army they showed at the end of last season. But if that's the case, the TV show blew it because they didn't mention it this episode?! Instead, its all about "we gotta kill dem Crows". No shades of grey here- just straight up good vs. evil. Now maybe when Jon goes to meet Mance in E10 this is made mention, but I think they dropped the ball by not establishing that the Wildling army is more about them fleeing a greater evil than trying to overcome the NW.

They should have killed him. Edd isn't the real Dolorous Edd anyway, Grenn on the other hand was played by a very good actor, he should have remained.

I actually kinda prefer show Edd tbh. I'm in the rare minority of people that don't find book Edd hilarious.

So true. Hopefully Mance will mention the Others next episode, because the writers apparently forgot about the invincible undead army pressing at their heels

I know!!! My wife had been watching faithfully with me for the past 4 seasons (but hasn't read the books) and asked my "why are the widlings trying to cross the wall?" I think that was poor writing! They should have shown more back story on the Others and WW! Sure the faithful book readers like myself knew but Unsullied didn't!

They could have at least showed Mance this season. He's like the orcs in LOTR. We don't care about them, we don't want them to win and we want to see them all get run over but the "good" guys. They have absolutely no substance and we have no cause to sympathise with them like in the books.

I actually kinda prefer show Edd tbh. I'm in the rare minority of people that don't find book Edd hilarious.

:shocked: :eek: Well, de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum :p

I thought that the fire would be used as a distraction. Everyone is watching this big fires and then the Wildlings launch an assault somewhere else. To bad Dumb&Dumber thought an unrealistic hook was cooler.

Knowing D&D stannis' arrival is probably going to interrupt/ cancel a massive treaty of peace and friendship between the wildlings and the nights watch against the white walkers or something. Instead of the being tge only king who still cared he would end up as the king who doomed the north. well judging by their choices so far anyway...

In defence of the decision to show an entire episode devoted to the wall:

1) they did the same on the Blackwater, and thats widely considered to be the best episode ever

2) if wildlings vs NW-men is pointless, thats the point- the small mindedness of it all. Like pumping millions into fighting over oil reserves whilst climate change kills ever growing numbers of people. Equally, if this is pointless, so is Stannis vs Joffrey, Robb vs Tywin, Renly vs Stannis etc etc- it's like the Blackwater reenacted, but increasingly transparent in it's pointlessness. The book shares the same message, but the fight was better coordinated and thought out in the books. There's way too much mindless macho sword swinging here.

The NW couldn't take the Thenns without some plan. Here, they had none other than Jon and 4 reinforcements, and Ghost being enough to turn the tide. Nonsense.

Knowing D&D stannis' arrival is probably going to interrupt/ cancel a massive treaty of peace and friendship between the wildlings and the nights watch against the white walkers or something. Instead of the being tge only king who still cared he would end up as the king who doomed the north. well judging by their choices so far anyway...

While also killing all the Crows, burning Jon Snow for being a traitor's brother, raping the Wildling women and castrating and enslaving the Wildling men and forcing them to rebuild the Walls castles. All the while Stannis is sitting around in the King's Tower contemplating an alliance with Roose Bolton and drinking wine. No joke watch S2E01 again. Stannis drinks wine in the show.

Archived