What languages could they create next?

Pilusmagnus

For the future seasons, I think it would be nice if they created languages we've not heard before. The one I'd love most is the Old Tongue for the Thenns and various wildlings, as well as Braavosi.

The former could be some king of germanic guttural language while for the latter I picture some Greek-Italian patchwork.

What do you think?

We do hear Ghiscari in Season 4. Well I assume that the tongue that the peasant speaks when he asks Daenerys for his sheeps is Ghiscari, since it needs translation from Missandei.

It is Meereenese Valyrian. The goatherd doesn't understand Dany's High Valyrian.

Source: http://www.dothraki.com/2014/05/the-valyrian-word-for-hamster/

The Thenns speak the Common Tongue in the show, so I don't think we'll hear the Old Tongue. Maybe when/if Wun Wun is introduced? Braavosi on the other hand will probably be there. It's just another Valyrian variety. We already have three of them.

For the future seasons, I think it would be nice if they created languages we've not heard before. The one I'd love most is the Old Tongue for the Thenns and various wildlings, as well as Braavosi.

The former could be some king of germanic guttural language while for the latter I picture some Greek-Italian patchwork.

What do you think?

I would like to hear the old tongue as well........ then maybe the original language of the children of the forrest...... (I always imagined it would be Latin)

The former could be some king of germanic guttural language while for the latter I picture some Greek-Italian patchwork

What do you think? :agree: Since Arya is on her way to Braavos, I'd love to hear her speaking Braavosi, loved her Valar Morghulis....and I'd love to hear (and read in subtitles what the Giants and Cotf are saying in the Old Tongue.

He's just trolling I think.

But Common Tongue actually is English I reckon.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. GRRM just needs a language we all understand to write the story in and represent what the fictional language is. If the story was told from someone who spoke the Old Tongue, we'd see Common Tongue as something just as fantastical and fictional as everything else in the story.

It's fantasy. Common Tongue can be English if it wants, I don't see why not.

EDIT : And actually, we can tell for certain that common tongue is English in the show if not in the books : We see things written, and they are in English...

Archived