What languages could they create next?

Pilusmagnus

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Braavosi is the most likely, but considering they made Qarth speaking the common tongue, I can't see it.

However, they can really use the High Valyrian in Braavos as well, it could save budget to hire a professional to create a whole new language.

They did not technically made Qarth speaking the Common Tongue since the only qarthi speaking characters are nobles of high education and traders who are likely to know the common tongue.

I know this, technically. But that can happen in Braavos as well, even if Cat of the Canals is in, they can make Brusco speak the common tongue because he's a "trader". But I still think High Valyrian is most likely.

It'd be nice if we get Braavosi and the Old Tongue :)

Old Tongue would be superb.

I don't think it would be a huge ordeal to just have Peterson modify the high valyrian he's already got fairly fleshed out into braavosi. The doom was fairly recent so the two languages couldn't be terribly disparate; perhaps not quite mutually intelligible but probably damn close.

I don't think it would be a huge ordeal to just have Peterson modify the high valyrian he's already got fairly fleshed out into braavosi. The doom was fairly recent so the two languages couldn't be terribly disparate; perhaps not quite mutually intelligible but probably damn close.

I agree, I think he already did, he must have something on the works.

I agree, I think he already did, he must have something on the works.

Yeah I mean it's not like unsullied will notice but it's a nice nod to the integrity of the conlanger to add in regional differences and fundamental alterations of grammar. For example I've noticed in terms of verbs, we know from the way Syrio and other bravos speak in the books that they are fond of the present progressive aspect when speaking common, so I imagine that would be something for peterson to work with, clearly different from what high valyrian's got going on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also like to here what "Common" actually sounds like, instead of just using English to represent it. What is its grammatical structure, etc? Does it sound Germanic, Celtic, Romantic, Latin?

I've never thought about this. What if common tongue is just translated so we can understand.

I've never thought about this. What if common tongue is just translated so we can understand.

Then why would the books be written in English in the series? You can assume that the voices are changed, but not that the scriptures are rewritten so we can understand.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Then why would the books be written in English in the series? You can assume that the voices are changed, but not that the scriptures are rewritten so we can understand.

The same reason the lighting is perfect and many people appear to be wearing makeup: audience convenience. We understand what they're saying and can read what they're reading in order to help follow along with the plot. I've always viewed TV shows as "approximations" of the real story which is limited by the medium.

Just because we see English written down, doesn't mean that it's supposed to be English. The same applies, in my view, to recastings on the show. Daario and Gregor didn't suddenly morph into new people without people commenting on it or it being some sort of secret "Faceless Man" plotline. It's understood that TV shows have casting limitations, just as they have limitations with showcasing new languages while also wanting the audience to read what a letter or book title might say.

That all said, I'm not sure how they could showcase "Common Proper" in the TV series. We would need a "Hunt for Red October" scene, where the characters morph their language in an early scene. Maybe at the beginning of the final season or final episode. Or maybe a language (from some conlang to English) with another culture, who then run across a familiar Common speaker speaking the newly constructed Common Tongue. Maybe the next time we see Daenerys, we'll learn that she's speaking Meerenese Valyrian 24/7, and for our benefit, they'll transition to Valyrian being represented by English. Or maybe we'll spend some time with two White Walkers as they bicker through the forest and then slay some rangers.

I like to think the Common Tongue is just English. This discussion reminds me of how Tolkien took great pains to demonstrate that the language his characters were speaking in The Lord of the Rings was a language he'd created himself. He also made it clear exactly how each name was to be pronounced. Martin on the other hand has taken a much more relaxed approach, saying something along the lines of "Pronounce the names however you like, I don't care". (I don't remember the exact quote, so am paraphrasing.) This makes me wonder if Martin might have a similar response to questions about the Common Tongue, i.e. if you like to think it's English, then it's English. If you think it would be cooler if the Common Tongue was another fictional language, then go ahead and assume that it is.

Of course I don't know if that's definitely what he'd say. I guess the only way to find out is for someone to ask him the question.

• 4 weeks later...

No one would ever make a movie about ancient Rome and have everyone speak Latin!

Tho tho there is a big budget Italian film , Scipio Africanus, shot in 1939 where everyone speaks Italian, which is as close to Latin as one will ever get.

Have always wondered what English would sound like if done with a Latin accent?

• 2 weeks later...

No one would ever make a movie about ancient Rome and have everyone speak Latin!

Tho tho there is a big budget Italian film , Scipio Africanus, shot in 1939 where everyone speaks Italian, which is as close to Latin as one will ever get.

Mel Gibson might, if he could contrive a racist enough story to go with it...

Have always wondered what English would sound like if done with a Latin accent?

Interesting, I'd never actually thought about what a Roman / Latin accent would sound like. When they teach Latin in (English speaking) schools, I think you learn roughly what they imagine were the correct rules of pronunciation, but then of of course coupled with an English accent.

• 3 months later...

Archived