Who was Aemon referring to? (book spoilers most likely)

I figure it was Lady Olenna. They had her scene earlier in the season where she was suppose to marry a Targ but yet seduced Lord Tyrell.

That or they're just making up scenes for the sake of making up scenes.

Wouldn't that be interesting, you might be onto something?!

Do their ages fit?

I figure it was Lady Olenna. They had her scene earlier in the season where she was suppose to marry a Targ but yet seduced Lord Tyrell.

I can't imagine her not falling for the A man.

• 5 months later...

This is what it appears to referring to but can't see how it has any purpose?? Can't imagine Lord Oaf being a Targ...

It's just some fanfiction they invented..

Aemon, likely. But we know from TWOIAF that Lady Olenna was supposed to marry Daeron Targaryen (Aegon V's youngest son), whom it is implied was quite like Loras in his personal life. ;-)

But since the show either:

A] got rid of a generation of Targaryens

B] simply made Aerys a generation older than he was supposed to

C] didn't give a flying f*** about consistency (like most TV shows are notorious for)

This can be disputed in the show.

I'm sorry but Aemon/Olenna doesn't make the least bit of sense on the show either. Aemon remembers "this girl" quite fondly. Olenna bitches her ass off about the ludicrous Targaryen. And their ages don't really fit either. Even on the show there should be at least 15 years (75/90, in the books they are even 30 years apart exactly, 198AL & 228AL) between them. This fan theory comes out of nowhere or rather from "Oh, look, two old people! They must have obviously fucked at one point." :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

So I just rewatched the episode. Aemon mentions that "some women were quite forward in their attempts to win my affections... one succeeded"

The ages from the wiki indicate that he didn't go to the wall unttil he was an adult. A child from the actions of forward women would be around 80, but the idea of additional unknown king's blood running around is interesting. I don't remember a similar conversation from the books, so it may be nothing.

I'm sorry but Aemon/Olenna doesn't make the least bit of sense on the show either. Aemon remembers "this girl" quite fondly. Olenna bitches her ass off about the ludicrous Targaryen. And their ages don't really fit either. Even on the show there should be at least 15 years (75/90, in the books they are even 30 years apart exactly, 198AL & 228AL) between them. This fan theory comes out of nowhere or rather from "Oh, look, two old people! They must have obviously fucked at one point." :dunno:

Meh, its more than just that:

Olenna

- Mentioned being promised to a Targaryen, of which in the show there are only a handful of people suitable we're aware of who might possibly fit: Aerion (mentioned in histories and lore), Aemon, Aegon V, Aerys II, and Dunk

- Was known to be special in luring men

- Spoke of the Targaryen she was promised to with disdain, yet describing him in detail, saying he had a "little ferret's face and ludicrous silver hair." When she saw him, she said he "wouldn't do," so she married Luthor, who she described as an "oaf" and a "great doughy lump."

- Says Margaery is even better than she was then.

Aemon

- Said he had many women after him, one managed to win his affections, and said he was in love.

These raise a few questions:

1. Why would Olenna forgo her Targaryen intended for a less powerful man, who doesn't seem to be physically anything special either?

2. Why does Olenna say/know Margaery is even better at winning men's affections than her?

3. Why did she abruptly go for Luthor, the night before he was supposed to propose to her sister? Why didn't she do this before? Why did she wait til the last minute?

4. What happened with Aemon and the girl he loved?

This is where this theory comes from, because in context, Olenna's story seems a little... odd. So what may have actually happened? Just for theories' sake...

Aemon was an eligible Targaryen and Olenna was one of many girls that was rather taken with him. She pursued him and eventually won his affections and they were intended to be wed. They were in love, but for one reason or another, Aemon wanted to become a maester and went to the Citadel. Maybe Aemon thought Olenna really just liked him for his lineage, and didn't really, truly love him. Olenna was heartbroken and waited for the chance that maybe he would come back to her, but he never did. Eventually, knowing that Luthor was going to propose to her sister and she couldn't wait for Aemon any longer, she snuck into Luthor's bed and went for the next best thing. Thus, she became the Lady of Highgarden.

Years later, when recounting this tale to Margaery, she passes off her Targaryen as simply not being good enough for her - possibly because she's still hurt by it. Even so, she leaves telltale signs of remembrance and cloaked reverence by describing the way he looked. She also wants to boost Margaerys confidence at this time, not wanting to give her any ideas that she might fail with Tommen like she did with Aemon. She does mention one truth about it though. She knows Margaery is two for two with Renly and Joffrey, but she was one for two with Aemon and Luthor. Ergo, when she compares herself to Margaery, Olenna says that Margaery "is even better."

So, yeah, as far as their ages are concerned, its a bit of a stretch. However, I wouldn't put it past the show to go ahead and just ignore it for the purposes of storytelling if this is their angle. I'm not saying its true, but you can see how the pieces of the puzzle are possibly there if they want Aemon to tell a story about it in Season 5.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure, we may be looking too much into things. Even that the show cut one generation of Targaryens, Aemon is still older than Aegon V who was the father of Aerys, so the age gap between him and Olenna is still big.

But, consistency isn't something the show is known for to be fair.

Meh, its more than just that:

A list of convoluted made up on the spot bullshit? How desperate are people for this to be true?

/sorry, this "theory" makes me irrationally irate for some reason

//better stay clear of this thread

Reckon the show writer just threw that in there. Not sure it's part of the lore. If so probably someone from Oldtown, I don't seriously take any Olenna idea seriously, that seemed like like it was just thrown in as part of the whole "Margaery go insert yourself between Cersei and Tommen" plot

I'm not sure, we may be looking too much into things. Even that the show cut one generation of Targaryens, Aemon is still older than Aegon V who was the father of Aerys, so the age gap between him and Olenna is still big.

But, consistency isn't something the show is known for to be fair.

Lol, age didn't stop Jon Arryn being married to Lysa Tully

Between the whole mashed generations and "old loves/betrothed" lines sounds like they are just throwing crap in there, I don't expect there to be any plot relevance to it outside of the Sam/Margaery issues at the time

Archived