Rewatch feelings, some numbers

Game of Thrones is not primarily an action show; nor is it primarily an action book. The action is in there because it moves the plot forward, but it isn't the point of the story. Some watchers are not enthusiastic about action sequences, either because they find them uninteresting or overly gory. But other watchers yearn for more action and less skipping of battles. If you're in the second camp, is it really in your best interest to nitpick and complain about the big battle episode?

Would you prefer if they had Sam black out early on and then wake up to find Jon cradling a dying Ygritte, or had them

going into battle at the end of one episode and see the aftermath at the beginning of the next? The battle gave a series of neat scenes that were fun to watch. Make up better tactics for your head cannon, if you need to.

Not sure what the big deal about having 'bosses' is. This isn't just a trope, this is something that goes all the way back to the origins of storytelling. What about all those tales of heroic deeds and valor crafted into legends and myths throughout history?

The producers don't have a thousand lines of text to describe how 'badass' a character is. If you want to get the point across that a character is proficient in combat, you actually have to show said prowess.

There are hundreds of threads on these forums alone mocking up hypothetical battles, postulating which character could beat another character in single combat. Certainly, this isn't the point of the show or the novels, but it is a part of it. GRRM does like to indulge himself in this type of thing here and there, not to spoil anything but there is a lot of this type of thing included in his last anthology.

It's just human nature. I mean, look at the Wildlings. Do you think you get to be chief of some of these tribes without proving yourself or unless people are physically afraid of you?

I would also like to point out that the boss trope has been on the show since day 1.

Dany's 3 bosses manage to conquer Yunkai on their own, because Yunkai has no boss to send against them, No amount of normal soldiers would help.

And that's just one example.

I guess Dany's budget went on E4 in Season 3... because in the book there are battles at Yunkai and Meereen.

In fact her tactical prowess is on display at Yunkai , she plans the battle which is both frontal and rear sneak attack.

They neatly avoided the (FIRST) battle for Meereen with slave revolt, actually I thought that was neat, but in the books the Unsullied had to break down the gate at Meereen in a frontal assault while the 'sewer sneak-attack' was going on.

Her uncanny military aptitude has yet to be on display again in the books.

By the by , on the show if Dany now has a zillion loyal slaves, seems to be The Son's of the Harpy should be toast!

I make a new post because every other one has too much posts and my post will just be lost.

As many people have asked, I've done the Night's Watch death count.

How did i count:

1. I've watched every sequence at 50% speed

2. I've watched very closely, event the background stuff

3. If i see a person die or get wounded, then i assume he is dead.

4. If i see a person fall, but i don't see the cuts, i assume he is probably dead.

5. I've counted only what I've seen. I haven't counted Ygritte arrows for example.

Night's Watch casualties:

43 dead + 8 probably dead. I might have missed some, but not much, max 5 deaths.

My feelings:

I'm happy that it didn't reach 100. I should say that after a rewatch i'm very grateful to people, who make CGI, direct the scenes, make costumes&sets and music is just awesome (as always, heil Ramin Djawadi).

Now i hate D&D, their writing is just ridiculously stupid. I think they lack education, they lack talent, they don't spend enough time. They could be very good at writing simple stories and you can make a good movie with a simple story, there is no doubt. But if you are not GRRM or i don't know, Martin Scorsese or Wes Anderson, then you shouldn't try to make a scenario out of a book masterpiece (especially if you make changes).

One of the most stupid things is that everyone who is important is a boss, a killing machine, which can be killed only by another boss. The killing spree by Tormund, Styr or Jon Snow is ridicuosly high and don't even get me started with Ygritte. It feels like she is out of this world. She hasn't missed even once! If we would have seen Ygritte shooting arrows for 30 minutes,, then there would be a 1000 dead men.

If you look that closely at anything you will see a ton of imperfections, i suggest you stop doing that and just enjoy the ride.

Has the OP seen The Hobbit movies? Yes, it's not realistic that four guys kill mostly everyone. The entire battle is probably unrealistic.

Well, as you've all guessed already, this series isn't a documentary on medieval warfare. It's supposed to be dramatic and fun to watch. If you're looking for realism, stay clear from fiction.

Fine, if you watch the show for the pretty pictures, good for you.

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

Tolkien says that, in order for the narrative to work, the reader must believe that what he reads is true within the secondary reality of the fictional world. By focusing on creating an internally consistent fictional world, the author makes secondary belief possible. Tolkien argues that suspension of disbelief is only necessary when the work has failed to create secondary belief. From that point the spell is broken, and the reader ceases to be immersed in the story and must make a conscious effort to suspend disbelief or else give up on it entirely.

Game of Thrones is not primarily an action show; nor is it primarily an action book. The action is in there because it moves the plot forward, but it isn't the point of the story. Some watchers are not enthusiastic about action sequences, either because they find them uninteresting or overly gory. But other watchers yearn for more action and less skipping of battles. If you're in the second camp, is it really in your best interest to nitpick and complain about the big battle episode?

Would you prefer if they had Sam black out early on and then wake up to find Jon cradling a dying Ygritte, or had them

going into battle at the end of one episode and see the aftermath at the beginning of the next? The battle gave a series of neat scenes that were fun to watch. Make up better tactics for your head cannon, if you need to.

For a non-action book, GRRM sure manages to get an awful lot of action into every single installment.

Archived