Arya, not Sansa, is the maid that will slay Littlefinger, the savage giant

Lost Melnibonean

• 3 months later...

From the OP...

And we know the George just loves sets of three. In the first vision we get from the woods witch, we learn about Stannis killing Renly, Euron killing Balon, and Catelyn getting whacked. Arya IV, Storm. In the second set above we get Rob at the "red wedding," Sansa at the purple wedding, and... Sansa again? Really? Wouldn't the sets of prophecies from the ghost of High Heart be more elegant if the maid again was someone other than Sansa, perhaps Arya, maybe even at a wedding? 

How about Alayne/Sansa's wedding? Such a wedding is contemplated in the Vale...

Petyr arched an eyebrow. "When Robert dies. Our poor brave Sweetrobin is such a sickly boy, it is only a matter of time. When Robert dies, Harry the Heir becomes Lord Harrold, Defender of the Vale and Lord of the Eyrie. Jon Arryn's bannermen will never love me, nor our silly, shaking Robert, but they will love their Young Falcon . . . and when they come together for his wedding, and you come out with your long auburn hair, clad in a maiden's cloak of white and grey with a direwolf emblazoned on the back . . . why, every knight in the Vale will pledge his sword to win you back your birthright. So those are your gifts from me, my sweet Sansa . . . Harry, the Eyrie, and Winterfell. That's worth another kiss now, don't you think?"

Alayne II, Feast 41

As presented, the contemplated wedding evokes images of Winterfell, and a kiss in a castle built of snow...

The snow fell and the castle rose. Two walls ankle-high, the inner taller than the outer. Towers and turrets, keeps and stairs, a round kitchen, a square armory, the stables along the inside of the west wall. It was only a castle when she began, but before very long Sansa knew it was Winterfell. She found twigs and fallen branches beneath the snow and broke off the ends to make the trees for the godswood. For the gravestones in the lichyard she used bits of bark. Soon her gloves and her boots were crusty white, her hands were tingling, and her feet were soaked and cold, but she did not care. The castle was all that mattered. Some things were hard to remember, but most came back to her easily, as if she had been there only yesterday. The Library Tower, with the steep stonework stair twisting about its exterior. The gatehouse, two huge bulwarks, the arched gate between them, crenellations all along the top . . .

His face grew serious. "Yes, I played you false in that . . . and in one other thing as well."

Sansa's stomach was aflutter. "What other thing?"

"I told you that nothing could please me more than to help you with your castle. I fear that was a lie as well. Something else would please me more." He stepped closer. "This."

Sansa tried to step back, but he pulled her into his arms and suddenly he was kissing her. Feebly, she tried to squirm, but only succeeded in pressing herself more tightly against him. His mouth was on hers, swallowing her words. He tasted of mint. For half a heartbeat she yielded to his kiss . . . before she turned her face away and wrenched free. "What are you doing?"

Petyr straightened his cloak. "Kissing a snow maid."

Sansa VII, Storm 80

And in Alayne, Winds, we see 

Spoiler

that Sansa and Petyr have a thing for models built out of sentimental material...

And best of all, Lord Nestor’s cooks prepared a splendid subtlety, a lemon cake in the shape of the Giant’s Lance, twelve feet tall and adorned with an Eyrie made of sugar.

For me, Alayne thought, as they wheeled it out. Sweetrobin loved lemon cakes too, but only after she told him that they were her favorites. The cake had required every lemon in the Vale, but Petyr had promised that he would send to Dorne for more. 

So, I am left imagining Petyr might construct a larger model of Winterfell from snow for the contemplated wedding...

I noticed this the other day and thought of this thread.

When he had enough, he stepped over both walls with a single long stride and squatted on his heels in the middle of the yard. Sansa came closer to watch what he was doing. His hands were deft and sure, and before long he had a crisscrossing latticework of twigs, very like the one that roofed the glass gardens of Winterfell. "We will need to imagine the glass, to be sure," he said when he gave it to her.

Peter steps over the walls.

Arya entering Braavos:

He is only a little bigger than King Baelor's statue in King's Landing, she told herself when they were still well off to sea. As the galleas drove closer to where the breakers smashed against the ridgeline, however, the Titan grew larger still. She could hear Denyo's father bellowing commands in his deep voice, and up in the rigging men were bringing in the sails. We are going to row beneath the Titan's legs. Arya could see the arrow slits in the great bronze breastplate, and stains and speckles on the Titan's arms and shoulders where the seabirds nested. Her neck craned upward. Baelor the Blessed would not reach his knee. He could step right over the walls of Winterfell.

Arya thinks about the Titan being able to step over the walls of Winterfell. Petyr is obviously associated with the Titan.

I think this further solidifies Petyr as the giant while also linking Arya.

Maybe the maid that will slay a giant is Dany, not Sansa or Arya?

Because what is this? -

"I dreamt such a clangor I thought my head might burst, drums and horns and pipes and screams, but the saddest sound was the little bells. I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs."

What little bells?

When Joffrey died, there was a lot of bellringing afterwards, but those were not little bells. While bells, that Dothraki wear in their braids, are little. Purple serpents in hair does look like Sansa's hairnet, with amethysts from Asshai, that were actually compressed poison. But there was no little bells on the Purple Wedding, only funeral bells afterwards. So maybe it will be Dany at a feast, with purple flowers in her hair, maybe in Vaes Dothrak, where she will be brought by Jhago. And then her slaying a giant in the castle made of snow, is either Dany conquering Braavos, or killing someone in Winterfell or at The Wall.

4 hours ago, Megorova said:

Because what is this? -

"I dreamt such a clangor I thought my head might burst, drums and horns and pipes and screams, but the saddest sound was the little bells. I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs."

What little bells?

When Joffrey died, there was a lot of bellringing afterwards, but those were not little bells. While bells, that Dothraki wear in their braids, are little. Purple serpents in hair does look like Sansa's hairnet, with amethysts from Asshai, that were actually compressed poison. But there was no little bells on the Purple Wedding, only funeral bells afterwards. So maybe it will be Dany at a feast, with purple flowers in her hair, maybe in Vaes Dothrak, where she will be brought by Jhago. And then her slaying a giant in the castle made of snow, is either Dany conquering Braavos, or killing someone in Winterfell or at The Wall.

Dany is not a maid, at least not literally.

Are there some quotes which symbolically display her as a maid? 

7 hours ago, Megorova said:

Because what is this? -

What little bells?

The bells belong to the Red Wedding vision and it's a reference to poor Jinglebell with his little bells.

14 hours ago, Ygrain said:

The bells belong to the Red Wedding vision and it's a reference to poor Jinglebell with his little bells.

No doubt. 

23 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I noticed this the other day and thought of this thread.

Peter steps over the walls.

Arya entering Braavos:

Arya thinks about the Titan being able to step over the walls of Winterfell. Petyr is obviously associated with the Titan.

I think this further solidifies Petyr as the giant while also linking Arya.

I think Petyr as the savage giant is by far the best fit. I have never seen a compelling argument against. So, does the assumption that Petyr is the savage giant bolster the argument that Petyr is also the giant in armor made of stone? 

13 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Dany is not a maid, at least not literally.

Are there some quotes which symbolically display her as a maid? 

How would Ghost of High Heart could have called Dany, or any other female? Maid could be not only a virgin, but also a young female. Or - female servant. Dany is one of three champions/servants of R'hllor, one of three heads of the dragon. So she could be referred to as maid, even though she's not a virgin.

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

don't think Petyr as the savage giant is by far the best fit. I have never seen a compelling argument against. So, does the assumption that Petyr is the savage giant bolster the argument that Petyr is also the giant in armor made of stone? 

Maybe this predictions are more metaphorical than literal.

Then armor made of stone could be JonCon's greyscale.

There's some saying, I don't actually remember how exactly it goes, but it's something like - In the light of truth, lies melt like snow.

Thus snow/castle made of snow could be lies or place of lies. And slaying savage giant may not be about killing or defeating someone. Dany was named slayer of lies. So maybe maid slaying savage giant in the castle made of snow actually means - Dany finding out truth about fAegon, and unmasking him as Blackfyre, when they will be in the Red Keep, where he will be crowned as King of 7K.

Also maybe that vision is not about future, maybe it's about past. And it isn't necessary in a chronological order. Then -

"I dreamt a wolf howling in the rain, but no one heard his grief" - Ned Stark after death of his father and brother.

"I dreamt such a clangor I thought my head might burst, drums and horns and pipes and screams, but the saddest sound was the little bells." Tournament at Harrenhal.

"I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs." - Lyanna Stark on the closing feast of Harrenhall's Tournament. Purple serpents is actually blue winter roses. But if this scene was happening in the evening, then blue roses in candlelight could have looked purple. And there's venom dripping from those roses, because basically that rose laurel was the reason for Robert's Rebellion, and caused death of thousands people, thus those roses were "poisonous snakes".

There's also a greek legend about Gorgon Medusa. She was a very beautiful woman, and God Zeus made her his lover. Thus his wife Hera cursed Medusa, and turned her into a monster, with poisonous snakes on her head. Whoever looked at her, turned into stone. So Medusa's beauty caused death of numerous heroes that wanted to slay her.

So maybe there's a parallel between Medusa and Lyanna. Lyanna's beauty made Rhaegar to fall in love with her. Same as Zeus, Rhaegar was already married, and had children, which didn't stopped him from pursuing Lyanna. He gave her crown of winter roses, and later this "purple serpents" caused death of many people.

"And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow." - first of all, if that person was Lyanna, and during first vision she was a virgin, and during second vision, that took place at the Tower of Joy, she wasn't a virgin anymore, then the Ghost of High Heart, saying that later she dreamed that maid again, doesn't necessary mean, that that female was still a virgin, words "later I dreamt that maid again" could mean "later I dream that same person again", without additional specifications about her status - maid or not maid anymore.

So this last vision, may be Lyanna at the Tower of Joy, revealing to Ned truth, that she wasn't kidnapped by Rhaegar, that they loved each other, and eloped together. So savage giant is a metaphor for a lie of Robert's Rebellion, and what caused it, even though premise for Rebellion turned out to be a lie.

With visions, prophecies, and predictions not everything is the way it seems. Good example is how prophecies about dragons came true in Hedge and Mystery Knights novels. What actually happened, was very different, from what was seen in those visions by Daeron and Daemon.

56 minutes ago, Megorova said:

How would Ghost of High Heart could have called Dany, or any other female? Maid could be not only a virgin, but also a young female. Or - female servant. Dany is one of three champions/servants of R'hllor, one of three heads of the dragon. So she could be referred to as maid, even though she's not a virgin.

Meh. I think this application to the word 'maid' requires too many hoops to jump through. I think George means 'maid' as in 'maid' which is used prominently throughout the series, a virgin.

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

Maybe this predictions are more metaphorical than literal.

Then armor made of stone could be JonCon's greyscale.

There's some saying, I don't actually remember how exactly it goes, but it's something like - In the light of truth, lies melt like snow.

Thus snow/castle made of snow could be lies or place of lies. And slaying savage giant may not be about killing or defeating someone. Dany was named slayer of lies. So maybe maid slaying savage giant in the castle made of snow actually means - Dany finding out truth about fAegon, and unmasking him as Blackfyre, when they will be in the Red Keep, where he will be crowned as King of 7K.

Also maybe that vision is not about future, maybe it's about past. And it isn't necessary in a chronological order. Then -

"I dreamt a wolf howling in the rain, but no one heard his grief" - Ned Stark after death of his father and brother.

"I dreamt such a clangor I thought my head might burst, drums and horns and pipes and screams, but the saddest sound was the little bells." Tournament at Harrenhal.

"I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs." - Lyanna Stark on the closing feast of Harrenhall's Tournament. Purple serpents is actually blue winter roses. But if this scene was happening in the evening, then blue roses in candlelight could have looked purple. And there's venom dripping from those roses, because basically that rose laurel was the reason for Robert's Rebellion, and caused death of thousands people, thus those roses were "poisonous snakes".

There's also a greek legend about Gorgon Medusa. She was a very beautiful woman, and God Zeus made her his lover. Thus his wife Hera cursed Medusa, and turned her into a monster, with poisonous snakes on her head. Whoever looked at her, turned into stone. So Medusa's beauty caused death of numerous heroes that wanted to slay her.

So maybe there's a parallel between Medusa and Lyanna. Lyanna's beauty made Rhaegar to fall in love with her. Same as Zeus, Rhaegar was already married, and had children, which didn't stopped him from pursuing Lyanna. He gave her crown of winter roses, and later this "purple serpents" caused death of many people.

"And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow." - first of all, if that person was Lyanna, and during first vision she was a virgin, and during second vision, that took place at the Tower of Joy, she wasn't a virgin anymore, then the Ghost of High Heart, saying that later she dreamed that maid again, doesn't necessary mean, that that female was still a virgin, words "later I dreamt that maid again" could mean "later I dream that same person again", without additional specifications about her status - maid or not maid anymore.

So this last vision, may be Lyanna at the Tower of Joy, revealing to Ned truth, that she wasn't kidnapped by Rhaegar, that they loved each other, and eloped together. So savage giant is a metaphor for a lie of Robert's Rebellion, and what caused it, even though premise for Rebellion turned out to be a lie.

With visions, prophecies, and predictions not everything is the way it seems. Good example is how prophecies about dragons came true in Hedge and Mystery Knights novels. What actually happened, was very different, from what was seen in those visions by Daeron and Daemon.

I like the way you think, but I go with the simplest and most straight forward interpretations of the visions. I don't think George wants us to have to make that many connections to puzzle out what the visions are.

Keep in mind that at the time we hear about these visions they have yet to occur (simplest interpretations at least). So, as the reader, we were left trying to puzzle out what they could mean. IMO, this is what George is wanting us to do.

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I don't think Petyr as the savage giant is by far the best fit. I have never seen a compelling argument against.

I agree he it could be someone else. The book is still open here. He is the best candidate though. George gave us the Baelish sigil and the snow castle scenes for a reason. I think it's possible he is telling us to make these connections.

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

So, does the assumption that Petyr is the savage giant bolster the argument that Petyr is also the giant in armor made of stone? 

Are you referring to Bran's 'coma dream'?

2 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I agree he it could be someone else. The book is still open here. He is the best candidate though. George gave us the Baelish sigil and the snow castle scenes for a reason. I think it's possible he is telling us to make these connections.

By the way, I meant to say Petyer is the best fit. (I changed my sentence structure when i wrote it but did not edit edit when i posted.) 

2 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Are you referring to Bran's 'coma dream'?

Yes, ser. 

55 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

By the way, I meant to say Petyer is the best fit. (I changed my sentence structure when i wrote it but did not edit edit when i posted.) 

Gotcha.

6 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

So, does the assumption that Petyr is the savage giant bolster the argument that Petyr is also the giant in armor made of stone? 

I am in the Robert Strong camp for that particular giant. The phrase "there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood" is a clincher for me. I think George wants us to associate black blood with magic, which Petyr does not associate with.

Plus, this giant is armored. The 'savage giant' makes no mention of armor (Petyr).

It could be Petyr though. I just have a hard time converting black blood to Petyr's lies rather than the magic that went into Robert Strong. 

What do you think? 

Go Megorova!    (The Lyanna Medusa serpent hair flowers thing.)

And with dragon prophecy actually being about humans in the dragon clan......     the "waking a dragon from stone" line i imagine is about some bastard with a last name of Stone.   Say, isn't that Alayne's situation? 

(This is when i say the obligatory thing if you're me, which is lemon cakes and Aegon should hook up.   I haven't booked reservations at the "castle made of Snow" yet either, as it would be embarrassing if that was also a reference to a person, and in any event now that it's winter snow will cover all sorts of new places so a lot more options will be opening up for which snowy castle i want to stay at or step on.  KL?  Then Arya can gank him.

The lemon business is Martin's kiss of death then.  Man hates sour fruit.    Doesn't the Lem Lemoncloak bunch seem to be having a successful run though?   Does nobody get to make lemonade???    If Dany tried to and it didn't work, that's , well we already knew that from every page set in Meereen.   Is there a better track record with lime.

4 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

The lemon business is Martin's kiss of death then.  Man hates sour fruit.    Doesn't the Lem Lemoncloak bunch seem to be having a successful run though?   Does nobody get to make lemonade???    If Dany tried to and it didn't work, that's , well we already knew that from every page set in Meereen.   Is there a better track record with lime.

^_^ Limestone - a hard sedimentary rock, composed mainly of calcium carbonate or dolomite, used as building material and in the making of cement.

Don't remember whether there was something lime-related in the books.

4 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

And with dragon prophecy actually being about humans in the dragon clan......     the "waking a dragon from stone" line i imagine is about some bastard with a last name of Stone.   Say, isn't that Alayne's situation? 

I have a theory, that Jon is the stone dragon from Dany's vision. And smoking tower is the Tower of Joy.

When Lyanna was dying, she was holding petals of blue roses in her hand. She made Ned to promise her something, probably to hide Jon, as his own son. Thus those "purple serpents", that previously were in the maid's hair, later poisoned her son's life with lies, and turned him into stone.

Jon was referred to as winged stone beast, because he's half-direwolf half-dragon, half-Stark and half-Targaryen. And he's petrified, because he is binded by lies of his birth, that he is supposedly Ned Stark's bastard, while actually he is son of Lyanna and Rhaegar.

Jon is a dormant sleeping dragon. During day gargoyles and chimeras, creatures that are mixes of different animals, are turning into stone, and at night they become alive. So Jon's dragon blood will awaken, when will begin the Long Night.

6 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Gotcha.

I am in the Robert Strong camp for that particular giant. The phrase "there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood" is a clincher for me. I think George wants us to associate black blood with magic, which Petyr does not associate with.

Plus, this giant is armored. The 'savage giant' makes no mention of armor (Petyr).

It could be Petyr though. I just have a hard time converting black blood to Petyr's lies rather than the magic that went into Robert Strong. 

What do you think? 

Bran saw three shadows threatening his father and sisters. The first two were clearly Sandor and Jaime. The third proved to be more enigmatic. . .

Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

Most readers assumed that the third was Gregor. His transformation in the Black Cells supported that conclusion.

But other readers settled on Petyr after learning about the sigil of House Baelish. Although Petyr was a small man who adopted the mockingbird as his personal sigil, the sigil of his house was the stone head of the Titan of Braavos.

The device painted on the shield was one Sansa did not know; a grey stone head with fiery eyes, upon a light green field. “My grandfather’s shield,” Petyr explained when he saw her gazing at it. “His own father was born in Braavos and came to the Vale as a sellsword in the hire of Lord Corbray, so my grandfather took the head of the Titan as his sigil when he was knighted.”

This interpretation of Petyr as a giant tied in to the presumption that the Ghost of High Heart foresaw Sansa slaying Petyr, the savage giant.

Moreover, Petyr proved to be a much graver threat to Bran’s father and sisters than either Sandor or Jaime, both of whom eventually attempted to aid the Stark girls, and when the Hound and the Kingslayer faced each other during the Hand’s tourney Littlefinger sat above them in the viewing stands wagering on the outcome, or looming over them. 

Black blood symbolizes death, because blood appears black after death.

I failed you, Robert, Ned thought. He could not say the words. I lied to you, hid the truth. I let them kill you.

The king heard him. "You stiff-necked fool," he muttered, "too proud to listen. Can you eat pride, Stark? Will honor shield your children?" Cracks ran down his face, fissures opening in the flesh, and he reached up and ripped the mask away. It was not Robert at all; it was Littlefinger, grinning, mocking him. When he opened his mouth to speak, his lies turned to pale grey moths and took wing.

In addition to the oft-observed moth-attracted-to-fire symbolism, which really doesn't apply here, the moth symbolizes corruption, decay, and death. 

With that line from the black cells, The George is showing us that LF's corruption and lies will lead to the Ned's death. It's another hint that Petyr was the instigator behind Joffrey's order for the Ned's execution.

Death comes out of Petyr's mouth, like the thick black blood behind the giant's visor. 

At least that's the best I can do. :dunno:

Here is the first “aha” line that leads most readers to conclude that Bran’s “giant in armor made of stone” is Gregor...

Cersei seemed half a child herself beside Ser Gregor. In his armor, the Mountain looked bigger than any man had any right to be. Beneath a long yellow surcoat bearing the three black dogs of Clegane, he wore heavy plate over chainmail, dull grey steel dinted and scarred in battle. Beneath that would be boiled leather and a layer of quilting. A flat-topped greathelm was bolted to his gorget, with breaths around the mouth and nose and a narrow slit for vision. The crest atop it was a stone fist.

If Ser Gregor was suffering from wounds, Tyrion could see no sign of it from across the yard. He looks as though he was chiseled out of rock, standing there. His greatsword was planted in the ground before him, six feet of scarred metal. Ser Gregor's huge hands, clad in gauntlets of lobstered steel, clasped the crosshilt to either side of the grip. Even Prince Oberyn's paramour paled at the sight of him. "You are going to fight that?" Ellaria Sand said in a hushed voice.

Tyrion X, Storm 70

And that is followed by this...

Qyburn ignored the mockery in her voice. "He is dying of the venom, but slowly, and in exquisite agony. My efforts to ease his pain have proved as fruitless as Pycelle's. Ser Gregor is overly accustomed to the poppy, I fear. His squire tells me that he is plagued by blinding headaches and oft quaffs the milk of the poppy as lesser men quaff ale. Be that as it may, his veins have turned black from head to heel, his water is clouded with pus, and the venom has eaten a hole in his side as large as my fist. It is a wonder that the man is still alive, if truth be told."

Cersei II, Feast 7

Which appears to answer the second half of Bran’s vision: “but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.”

Well, I just noticed that when we see Gregor with the stone fist atop his helm—the only time that ornament is described, mind you—Gregor’s helm lacked a visor.

So, assuming Petyr is the giant armored in stone--the Titan, this passage from Arya I, Feast 6 becomes intriguing...

The Titan of Braavos. Old Nan had told them stories of the Titan back in Winterfell. He was a giant as tall as a mountain,

One of the principle reasons to assume that Gregor is the third shadow is because it looms over the other two shadows. Well, here we see that Petyr is as tall as Gregor. 

and whenever Braavos stood in danger he would wake with fire in his eyes, his rocky limbs grinding and groaning as he waded out into the sea to smash the enemies.

Petyr is driven, at least in part, by his resentmemt of House Stark and House Tully, and he sure smashed Eddard. 

“The Braavosi feed him on the juicy pink flesh of little highborn girls,” Nan would end, and Sansa would give a stupid squeak.

In a sense Petyr is feeding on the juicy pink flesh of Sansa. 

5 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Go Megorova!    (The Lyanna Medusa serpent hair flowers thing.)

(This is when i say the obligatory thing if you're me, which is lemon cakes and Aegon should hook up.   I haven't booked reservations at the "castle made of Snow" yet either, as it would be embarrassing if that was also a reference to a person, and in any event now that it's winter snow will cover all sorts of new places so a lot more options will be opening up for which snowy castle i want to stay at or step on.  KL?  Then Arya can gank him.

They do not...

In Sansa I, Game 15, she was looking forward to lemon cakes in the queen's wheelhouse, but her day ended with her prince's loathing and contempt. Samwell's early childhood went from snitching lemon cakes to contempt, abuse, and banishment by his father. In Sansa II, Game 29, Sansa went from enjoying lemon cakes with Joffrey at the feast following the first day of jousting to being escorted back to her cell by the Hound. In Sansa III, Game 44, Sansa and Jeyne (poor Jeyne) looked for lemon cakes in the kitchen, but at the end of the chapter learned her father was sending back to Winterfell. Sansa shared lemon cakes with the Tyrells before being forced to wed the imp. On the morning Sansa was forced to marry the imp, along with the new gown, Cersei sent her favorite scents for Sansa's use too. Of course, "Sansa chose a sharp sweet fragrance with a hint of lemon in it under the smell of flowers." 

Spoiler

In Winds, Lord Nestor’s cooks prepare a lemon cake in the shape of the Giant’s Lance, twelve feet tall and adorned with an Eyrie made of sugar, all for Alayne. "The cake had required every lemon in the Vale, but Petyr had promised that he would send to Dorne for more." 

Run, Sansa! Run! 

Before donning the ugly little girl's face, the kindly man gave a girl a drink so tart it was like biting into lemon. That made "no one" think of Arya's sister, and Sansa's fondness for lemon cakes. In Arya V, Game 65, Arya offered to trade a fat pigeon for a lemon, but ened up at her father's execution. Jeor Mormont drank lemon in his beer every day. He still had his own teeth but his men mutinied and murdered him. At Bitterbridge, Renly's bannermen feasted on lemon cakes. Of course, Renly's campaign ened shortly thereafter. As Davos sailed with Stannis's fleet into Blackwater Bay, he observed Aegon's High Hill, dark against a lemon sky. That's an odd description for a sky, no? As Davos turned downstream, the mouth of the Blackwater Rush had turned into the mouth of hell.

At Edmure's wedding feast Catelyn noted that Ryman Frey had bathed in lemon water but failed to mask his sour sweat, and that Roose smelled sweeter but no more pleasant. The Feast did not end on a happy note. At Joffrey's wedding feast Tyrion had a slice of pigeon pie covered with a spoon of lemon cream. A few paragraphs later Tyrion stood accused of regicide. That was the last of 18 dishes served to Joffrey just before he choked. On the night Daenerys was sold to the savage she smelled sweet lemon among other eastern scents. 

Cersei drank lemon water so tart she had to spit it out the morning she learned that Tyrion had murdered their father. When Cersei entered Maggy the Frog's tent, one of the eastern scents she smelled was lemongrass. Before the night was done Cersei would learn that Melara had a crush on Jaime, and Melara would die at the bottom of a well. 

Lem Lemoncloak just reeks of bitterness and disappointment, and Doran's Water Gardens smell of lemons and blood oranges. Anybody think Dorne is going end up happy with their blood and fire? In The Queenmaker, Arianne noticed that Darkstar preferred lemon water to summer wine, and she served lemonsweet to Myrcella before Darkstar cut off Myrcella's ear amidst lemon orchards watered by a spider's web of old canals. Arianne’s first meal while locked in the tower included kind roasted with lemon. And the soup at the feast to welcome Gregor's head was made with eggs and lemons. 

Stannis enjoys boiled eggs and lemon water for breakfast, and, well, I think we all know his end will be bitter and disappointing. In Jon IV, Dance 17, Stannis offers lemon water to Jon. Wisely, Jon refuses. Stannis drinks more.

Just after Tyrion plants the notion of sailing to Westeros without Daenerys in the noble lad's head, the merry band aboard the Shy Maid enjoy a pike with lemon juice, and they learn that Daenerys hasn't left Meereen. Aegon fatefully decides to go west insteaed of east. Anybody think Aegon will win the dance? And Tyrion decides to go whoring after dinner, and meets his new buddy Jorah. Tyrion suspected Yezzan was drinking lemon water as the yellow whale bid on him and Penny. Tyrion served Nurse lemonsweet with the mushrooms from Illyrio's garden.The Green Grace accepted a goblet of sweeetened lemon juice from the Queen's hand, just before infected corpses started flying over the walls. Oh, and guess what kind of trees Daenerys has in her terrace garden in Meereen? 

And we see a lemon in one of the ancillary novellas... When Dunk has a personal feast, feeling what it means to be a knight for the first time at the beginning of The Hedge Knight, he dines on lamb and an even better duck cooked with cherries and lemons quaff in it down with four tankards of a thick, nut brown ale. By the end of the novella, though, Prince Maekar had slain his brother, Baelor Breakspear, who died defending Dunk against Prince Aerion's accusations. 

Here's where it gets personal.  Is George saying he doesn't want us to add lemon juice to our Guacamole?   Because that junk only lasts like an hour without the lemon before it goes bad.   So I used the doom fruit.  And am now doomed.  It's been a nice life.  Oh well.   See you on the other side, as soon as any of you drink a Sprite.

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Moreover, Petyr proved to be a much graver threat to Bran’s father and sisters than either Sandor or Jaime, both of whom eventually attempted to aid the Stark girls, and when the Hound and the Kingslayer faced each other during the Hand’s tourney Littlefinger sat above them in the viewing stands wagering on the outcome, or looming over them. 

Which is why I favour LF. His scheming has had an immense impact on Ned, Sansa a Arya's lives, and in this respect, Gregor doesn't fit at all - out of the three, he was involved only with Arya, and not even personally. There is no reason why the vision should point him out as the most important figure.

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Black blood symbolizes death, because blood appears black after death.

Death comes out of Petyr's mouth, like the thick black blood behind the giant's visor. 

And death on an immense scale is what his machinations cause, so that his twisted little ego can have the power and revenge that has consumed him. His smooth, unthreatening appearance is like a mask, or helmet, but when you look inside, you see him for what he is.

@Lost Melnibonean

Maybe those are two separate beings - giant with black blood inside his stone armor, and savage giant slayed by maid?

Then first of them could be either the Mountain, that became infected with wight's black and dead blood. Because LC Mormont has sent wight's hand to KL, so maybe Qyburn got it, and used zombie-virus' samples from that blood, to infect dying Mountain.

Or this one could be Jon Connington. Stone armor is reference to his greyscale, and there's only black blood inside, because the illness is inside of him, corrupting his blood. Or his blood is corrupted by desire of revenge. Nothing else left in his life, except desire to make fAegon King of 7K. And that giant was mentioned in group with the Hound and Jaime, because he is also a Kingsguard. So it's either the Mountain, or JonCon, if he will be LC of fAegon's Kingsguards.

And second - giant slayed by maid, could be either Littlefinger, if the maid is Sansa, or someone totally unexpected, if the girl isn't Sansa nor Arya.

Archived