Cersei is just as 'Mad' as any Targaryen has ever been

Suzanna Stormborn

Yeah Cersei is fucking crazy. Her being the daughter of Aerys though, i'm not sure, both Rhaegar and Viserys went quite mad and Daenerys is becoming a bit mad too. If Cersei is Aerys' daughter then that would mean Jaime is too and Jaime is the best person among all the main Lannisters. Would be weird for him to be the only one of Aerys' kids to be normal lol. For the Rhaegar fangirls who will say he wasn't crazy, do you think a sane person would start a war only to fuck/rape/whatever a she-wolf ?

Being foolish because your in love doesn't mean your mad. I will never understand the ridiculous notion that Rhaegar was mad. Why, because he was obsessed with a prophecy about saving the world from magical beings, oh wait he was right about that. And Daenerys becoming a bit mad is complete fan fiction.

As to Cersei, I agree she is as mad as any Targaryen ever was (well maybe not Prince Rhaegal lol) and I think she is the one who is a direct parallel to the Mad King, not his own daughter. It's a bit ironic Westeros rebelled to get rid of one Mad King to end up with a Mad Queen less than 20 years later.

Cersei's definitely well along in the insanity stage, but we haven't seen all the Targs, so we don't know how she stacks up. Until she tries drinking wildfire like Aerion Brightflame I'm thinking she falls short.

I addressed that in the OP. I dont think drinking wildfire one time and dying even comes close to the paranoia, destruction and as a result many many human deaths that Cersei Lannister caused. I mean one drunken/crazy act of drinking wildifre does not make you 'madder' than an entire lifetime of murder, deceit and paranoia.

Aerys was called the Mad King, arguably the worst person to ever sit the IT, and that is because he did crazy things for years and years and years, was Howard Hughes style paranoid, and a murdering lunatic. This is almost exactly the same as Cersei, I would say the main difference between her and Aerys was that she has kept her style going throughout all the craziness, while IIRC Aerys really let himself go towards the end and fully embraced being a loony shut-in. But the death and fire talk is so similar between them it is uncanny. No I have to say that Cersei is waaaayyyyy worse than Aerion.

I think the with the 'madness' we also have to take into account how much damage the 'madness' caused. In Cersei's case, she is the ruler of the 7K so her madness affects a shit ton more people and is even more inappropriate than someone who never ruled. The throne has a obligation to the people to keep it together. Many fans and posters would say that Aerys deserved to get usurped due to his terrible ruling and his madness, well so does Cersei.

Yes, Cersei is crazy as they come. Even without thinking she's immune to disease or she's fireproof, she definitely thinks she's immune to mistakes or people plotting against her.

I think her bat shit craziness is why people believe she's the daughter of Aerys (I don't particularly believe it, but I believe it a whole lot more than Tyrion being his son). I think her not being a secret Targ yet being as bat shit crazy as some of them would be a better story. I find it hard to believe that Targs are there only family with mental illness.

The disease immunity and flame-retardent nature belong to Targaryens. She thinks she's a lioness a lot, which makes her shit on lesser beasts with ease (forgetting they're all people).

Yep, she's definitely mad. It's going to get worse, too.

Yeah Cersei is fucking crazy. Her being the daughter of Aerys though, i'm not sure, both Rhaegar and Viserys went quite mad and Daenerys is becoming a bit mad too. If Cersei is Aerys' daughter then that would mean Jaime is too and Jaime is the best person among all the main Lannisters. Would be weird for him to be the only one of Aerys' kids to be normal lol. For the Rhaegar fangirls who will say he wasn't crazy, do you think a sane person would start a war only to fuck/rape/whatever a she-wolf ?

I think Lyanna and Rhaegar were consensual. He was a bit reckless taking her and marrying her, but that doesn't mean he was crazy.

I think Lyanna and Rhaegar were consensual. He was a bit reckless taking her and marrying her, but that doesn't mean he was crazy.

Add to that the fact that we know almost nothing about the circumstances which led to her disappearance, and calling him crazy for it becomes even more profoundly flawed.

well that was a worthy enumeration and analysis of Cersei's madness.. I am more frightened of what she has become now that she had her walk of shame she is smiling too much and is too meek that alone should spread fear in anyone who has relations with her in any way...

I caught that too. I think much of what she is has to do with Tywins own machinations.

(Love your avatar). :thumbsup:

What your post definitely argues is that Jaime will be the volanquar that kills her. He will see her making some genocidal decision and see the Mad King all over again. Interestingly this will allow us to see the dynamic of that initial regicide and thus him (Jaime) in his most tragically noble hour.

Oh I wasnt arguing definitively that Jaime will kill her, I am just saying the prophecy is about a brother, and she has always assumed it will be Tyrion, she has never even considered it could be Jaime. Big oversight on her part in general.

snip

Awesome compilation!

That is a ball of crazy wrapped up in a blanket of batshit. Man, Tywin messed up his kids so much. His need to be the best, to make his family the most powerful family in Westeros is what will lead to his families downfall. The irony is that it'll be his own children that destroy his name and legacy.

I have always supported the Cersei /Jamie are Targs theory, and ur post only strengthened my resolve. The part i question is that Cersei suffered from gender confusion. She isn't mentally ill or suffering from dysmorphia. She doesn't want to be a man, but by not being a man she can't achieve the power she craves. That jealousy, all that rage, turned her into the Borderline Personality she is at present. Joffrey was precisely the same way. Truly his mother's son. Cersei is what happens to someone with BP when raised by Tywin. Joffrey is what happens when a BP is raised by Cersei.

Awesome compilation!

That is a ball of crazy wrapped up in a blanket of batshit. Man, Tywin messed up his kids so much. His need to be the best, to make his family the most powerful family in Westeros is what will lead to his families downfall. The irony is that it'll be his own children that destroy his name and legacy.

Thx Dear :)

Yup I totally agree, all of this can be laid at Tywin's feet. He raised his lioness to kill or be killed, get the food while it's there and rip the throat out of anyone who tries to get some for themselves.

I know the theories that she and Jaimie could be Aerys children, but I don't know.

On Joannas wedding night, while he might have acted inappropriately, I don't know that he got that far, after all, he lamented that it was too bad that the "right of first night" had been done away with, indicating disappointment on his part.

They would also be in the presence of other men for such a ritual.

There also doesn't seem to be any indication that Aerys was actually unfaithful to Rhaella despite his hostility towards the marriage. Just because he raped his wife doesn't mean that he raped other women, or I think we would have heard something by now.

Madness is not necessarily the domain of the Targaryens (to be fair to them), and Tywins own obsession with perception, honor and his own "daddy issues," seem to have shaped his own ambitions, pride and arrogance, something at least that seemed to become a rift in the once friendship of Tywin and Aerys.

(We see how he treated his fathers mistress when he died, which is very reminiscent of the walk of Jane Shore, Edward IV mistress, and how his pathic fear of being laughed at- I suspect Tyrion might be a lot like his own father, another reason to despise his son).

And Tywins "secret" ambitions for Cersei started when she was young, so her own sense of destiny and fate were pretty entrenched- too entrenched to pivot and be satisfied with anything else. Such thwarted fate and entitlement, I think has a lot to do with her deterioration.

And for all her beauty, no man can seem to love her with the exception of Jaime. (It has long been a suspicion of mine that Rhaegar had as much to do with rejecting her as Aerys did, which plays into the themes of irony. She has spent her whole life lamenting something that would have never been anyway, hating, blaming and scheming when she was never even a contender).

Despite her beauty, Oberyn said he'd rather a canopy of scorpions fall upon him than marry her, and Robert still called Lyannas name on their wedding night.

When Jaime saw the vision of his mother with her sad visage, I think that said everything about how she felt about the fate of her children's happiness and what ambition brings.

On the matter of her madness vs. any Targaryen, I think the OP is correct in her analysis.

I have always supported the Cersei /Jamie are Targs theory, and ur post only strengthened my resolve. The part i question is that Cersei suffered from gender confusion. She isn't mentally ill or suffering from dysmorphia. She doesn't want to be a man, but by not being a man she can't achieve the power she craves. That jealousy, all that rage, turned her into the Borderline Personality she is at present. Joffrey was precisely the same way. Truly his mother's son. Cersei is what happens to someone with BP when raised by Tywin. Joffrey is what happens when a BP is raised by Cersei.

The bolded is exactly what I meant about the gender confusion, just that it was the start of problems that would develop over the years. I mean she is switching clothes with her 9 year old brother and 'playing' at lovers already. A seriously fucked up childhood before the age of 10.

I addressed that in the OP. I dont think drinking wildfire one time and dying even comes close to the paranoia, destruction and as a result many many human deaths that Cersei Lannister caused. I mean one drunken/crazy act of drinking wildifre does not make you 'madder' than an entire lifetime of murder, deceit and paranoia.

Drinking wildfire sort of precludes leading a life of madness after that one act. Not arguing that Cersei's a paragon of sweet reason, just that the Targs set a high standard and we don't know what follies some may have engaged in that GRRM hasn't let us know about. The one that danced around the palace nude is clearly nutso; the fact that he's probably harmless doesn't alter that.

The fact that Cersei's actions are destructive while some Targs' are not doesn't make her crazier, just more evil.

Drinking wildfire sort of precludes leading a life of madness after that one act. Not arguing that Cersei's a paragon of sweet reason, just that the Targs set a high standard and we don't know what follies some may have engaged in that GRRM hasn't let us know about. The one that danced around the palace nude is clearly nutso; the fact that he's probably harmless doesn't alter that.

The fact that Cersei's actions are destructive while some Targs' are not doesn't make her crazier, just more evil.

I see what you are saying. I just think that destroying so many people as she has done with no remorse is also a form of the 'madness', not caring about people you have killed is clinical. Same thing with Aerys. If he had just been in the throne room staring at fire or burning inanimate objects, that would not even be on the same level as burning people. It's the senseless killing IMO that adds to the 'madness' in their arcs.

like Dancing around naked, calling yourself a dragon is batshit crazy, but if you are doing all that and at the same time killing and torturing people, the latter is worse right?

Archived