Why Targaryens have actual dragon blood.

Starspear

TPATQ: Rhaenyra's daughter born with a stubby scaled tail.

AGOT: Daenerys' son: He was scaled like a lizard, blind, with the stub of a tail and small leather wings like the wings of a bat.

The incest of Targaryens is better understood, though not necessarily palatable.

Unlike the lions of Casterly Rock, the real dragons amongst the Targaryens, are dragonspawn (minimeque partly dragonspawn).

How this sorcery took place, only Valyria knows. And maybe some old dude in Oldtown.

I love me some Targaryens and if they actually have dragon blood, that's awesome. But you have to consider these two things. TP&TQ was a history report from a post-Dance Maester, who could probably be biased against Rhaenyra. Eustace seems to be. the report of Visenya(?) being deformed might be untrue.

Same with Rhaego. We never actually see him and it could have been a lie. Either way, I don't think it proves anything either way since Rhaego was connected with some spells, and Rhaenyra might not be from an accurate source.

Dragons lay eggs, so maybe a Val man fapped onto a dragon egg and BAM!, Val royalty! ;)
But fer cereal, the thing that made the Valyrian people unique was their ubiquitous magic use. I mean, how else can you have such sexy targs after hundreds and possibly thousands of years of inbreeding

I always thought it was figurative, like how Lyanna Stark is described as having a touch of wolf's blood, and her brother Brandon, more than a touch.

Come to think of it, did the fashion of noble houses associating themselves with animals thing start after the Targaryens and their dragons?

I always thought it was figurative, like how Lyanna Stark is described as having a touch of wolf's blood, and her brother Brandon, more than a touch.

Come to think of it, did the fashion of noble houses associating themselves with animals thing start after the Targaryens and their dragons?

Well a bunch of houses already had sigils long in place before the Targs ever showed up. Plus we have a lot of stories of how sigils were picked for particular houses (Lannisters, gardners, etc).

I heard a theory once that the usage of sigils were a layover from a past where skinchanging was more widely accepted. Like, the original Starks warged dire wolves. The original Mormonts warged bears etc etc.

Plus any kind of lasting dynasty would definite have a symbol to be recognized by, example House Mudd had a sigil/symbol/crest or w/e.

Mix those two ideas together and you get a culture where it's common to pick an animal to represent your family lineage.

This again?

It's all rumour. If there is something that is clear in the ASoIaF, is that rumours start very very quickly.

Case in point: Sansa Stark. After Joffrey is murdered and Sansa disappears, all sorts of weird stories start to circulate. She turned into a wolf and ripped Joffrey's throat out, and then grew a pair of bat wings and flew away. Of course, it is all nonsense, but people love to tell a tale. And this story starts to circulate within weeks of the actual events.

Now imagine what will happen to an event involving another very famous person, Rhaenyra Targaryen, over 100 years ago. The Maester who wrote the history can only report what his sources say, and part of his sources will be stories written down, based on reports, not necessarily accurate. As with the Sansa rumour, the story of Rhaenyra's dragonlike baby sort of makes sense, from a symbolic point of view: both turn the heraldic animals of their houses into something physical, real. The wolfish Stark becomes an actual wolf, the dragonrider's daughter, something reptilian. To say that the Targaryens are actual dragons makes as little sense as to say that the Lannisters are real lions, the Starks real wolves, the Baratheons real stags, or the Estermonts real turtles, for that matter.

As for Dany's baby, as with Rhaenyra's baby, we never actually see it. All we know is what Mirri Maz Duur says, and she might be lying just to hurt Dany. Or, even if the baby was actually deformed, that could just as well be the result of the blood magic that was performed to "save" Drogo's life.

We've seen Beric's blood light stuff on fire and Mel's blood smoke's and keeps her constantly warm, so there is proof that humans can have "dragon's blood" in this series. Not literal dragon's blood like from copulating or a transfusion, but their blood exhibits similar properties to a dragon's.

What would happen if someone like Beric or Mel had children (assuming they could)? Would their offspring inherit those traits? I suspect something like this may be at work with the Targaryen line. They just have a diluted version of what Beric and Mel have. Keeping those traits strong within their bloodline might actually explain why the Targ's were so keen on marrying within the family.

Well a bunch of houses already had sigils long in place before the Targs ever showed up. Plus we have a lot of stories of how sigils were picked for particular houses (Lannisters, gardners, etc).

I heard a theory once that the usage of sigils were a layover from a past where skinchanging was more widely accepted. Like, the original Starks warged dire wolves. The original Mormonts warged bears etc etc.

Plus any kind of lasting dynasty would definite have a symbol to be recognized by, example House Mudd had a sigil/symbol/crest or w/e.

Mix those two ideas together and you get a culture where it's common to pick an animal to represent your family lineage.

I like this idea. They probably have a connection to dragons like Starks have a connection to direwolves and can warg them easily.

The members of House Targaryen were one of the 40 ruling Houses of the Old Valyrian Freehold. They have the blood of the Dragon and i insist that their claim is very real because through the Books, we learn about the child Daenerys has born. In the Book Dangerous Women "The Princess and the Queen" Queen Rhaenyra I Targaryen has born a child named Visenya, that girl was malformed with a tail and other characteristics. It is not unusual for the children of House Targaryen to be malformed. Maelys Blackfyre (member of a minor brach of House Targaryen) had also the Blood of the Dragon and he was also malformed, there is a mention about two heads.

About Maelys Blackfyre: Maelys had a huge upper body with a second head sprouting from his neck. A Storm of Swords, Chapter 67, Jaime. // A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 5, Tyrion.

About Visenya: When the babe at last came forth, she proved indeed a monster: a stillborn girl, twisted and malformed, with a hole in her chest where her heart should have been and a stubby, scaled tail. The dead girl had been named Visenya, Princess Rhaenyra announced the next day, when milk of the poppy had blunted the edge of her pain. The Princess and the Queen.

About Daenerys' child: Tell me. Tell me what the women say.”

He turned his face away. His eyes were haunted. “They say the child was…”

She waited, but Ser Jorah could not say it. His face grew dark with shame. He looked half a corpse himself.

“Monstrous,” Mirri Maz Duur finished for him. The knight was a powerful man, yet Dany understood in that moment that the maegi was stronger, and crueler, and infinitely more dangerous. “Twisted. I drew him forth myself. He was scaled like a lizard, blind, with the stub of a tail and small leather wings like the wings of a bat. When I touched him, the flesh sloughed off the bone, and inside he was full of graveworms and the stink of corruption. He had been dead for years.”

Women have seen the child. --> there is evidence of the existence of a malformed child.

The Targaryens have some unusual characteristics from the other Houses of Westeros. They also have/had Dragons. We know for sure that only the most powerful Lords Freeholder were the Dragonlords of the Old Valyrian Freehold. Only they controlled the Dragons and they were powerful in magic.

Governance of the Valyrian Freehold and the Lords Freeholder

The 'Freehold of Valyria' at the zenith of its power was neither a kingdom nor an empire... or at least it had neither a king nor an emperor. Instead, all free holders, or freeborn landowners, had a say in its governance.

In practice, however, the Freehold was ruled by the Lords Freeholder, powerful noble families. They were forty families of great wealth, high birth, and strong sorcerous ability, those families which controlled and rode dragons in battle, who came to dominate, were known as dragonlords. The Targaryens were dragonlords, but far from the most powerful.

In conclusion, i would like to say that the Targaryens are the last descendants of the Old Valyrian Freehold and possibly they have the blood of the dragon in their veins.In the Fourteen Flames (the Valyrian Peninsula) the Lords Freeholder tamed the first Dragons . Only the Lords Freeholder have had Dragons. No baseborn or landowner has had any Dragon. We must assume that their (the Dragonlords) supreme sorcerus abilities helped them tame the dragons.

"The dragonlords of the old Freehold were strong in sorcery, and lesser men defied them at their peril"- The Kindly Man, to Arya

I'm not super invested in proving Targs do or don't have literal dragonblood, but I don't think the argument the OP uses-- that 2 members of House Targ purportedly gave birth to dragon-like creatures-- is the way to prove it.

The thing about Rhaego is that Dany (intentionally or otherwise) traded his life with the eggs. When she's brought into the tent going into labor she has a fever dream, depicting Rhaego's heart bursting in flame (pretty much a Nissa image), then wakes up, and the eggs seem to quicken. This one, in particular, is linked to a sacrifice of a human for dragons. I think using this incident as proof for the existence of dragonblood is jumping the gun, because there's a much more direct explanation for his already dead, scaly condition.

The members of House Targaryen were one of the 40 ruling Houses of the Old Valyrian Freehold. They have the blood of the Dragon and i insist that their claim is very real because through the Books, we learn about the child Daenerys has born. In the Book Dangerous Women "The Princess and the Queen" Queen Rhaenyra I Targaryen has born a child named Visenya, that girl was malformed with a tail and other characteristics. It is not unusual for the children of House Targaryen to be malformed. Maelys Blackfyre (member of a minor brach of House Targaryen) had also the Blood of the Dragon and he was also malformed, there is a mention about two heads.

About Maelys Blackfyre: Maelys had a huge upper body with a second head sprouting from his neck. A Storm of Swords, Chapter 67, Jaime. // A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 5, Tyrion.

About Visenya: When the babe at last came forth, she proved indeed a monster: a stillborn girl, twisted and malformed, with a hole in her chest where her heart should have been and a stubby, scaled tail. The dead girl had been named Visenya, Princess Rhaenyra announced the next day, when milk of the poppy had blunted the edge of her pain. The Princess and the Queen.

About Daenerys' child: Tell me. Tell me what the women say.”

He turned his face away. His eyes were haunted. “They say the child was…”

She waited, but Ser Jorah could not say it. His face grew dark with shame. He looked half a corpse himself.

“Monstrous,” Mirri Maz Duur finished for him. The knight was a powerful man, yet Dany understood in that moment that the maegi was stronger, and crueler, and infinitely more dangerous. “Twisted. I drew him forth myself. He was scaled like a lizard, blind, with the stub of a tail and small leather wings like the wings of a bat. When I touched him, the flesh sloughed off the bone, and inside he was full of graveworms and the stink of corruption. He had been dead for years.”

Women have seen the child. --> there is evidence of the existence of a malformed child.

The Targaryens have some unusual characteristics from the other Houses of Westeros. They also have/had Dragons. We know for sure that only the most powerful Lords Freeholder were the Dragonlords of the Old Valyrian Freehold. Only they controlled the Dragons and they were powerful in magic.

In conclusion, i would like to say that the Targaryens are the last descendants of the Old Valyrian Freehold and possibly they have the blood of the dragon in their veins.In the Fourteen Flames (the Valyrian Peninsula) the Lords Freeholder tamed the first Dragons . Only the Lords Freeholder have had Dragons. No baseborn or landowner has had any Dragon. We must assume that their (the Dragonlords) supreme sorcerus abilities helped them tame the dragons.

This essentially sums it up^

I know how many people on the forums hate the Targaryens but you cannot deny the Blood of the dragon/Zaldrizes is a real thing just like the blood of the first men. There is most likely a 3rd form as well being the blood of the Rhoynar as shown in the recently released excerpt of a world of ice and fire where the rhoynish did water magic.

But essentially yes The blood of the dragon is a real thing and the Targaryens are the super power of the ASOIAF with the weapons to hold Westeros. Have no doubt about it that in the end A Targaryen will reign supreme whether he be half stark (R+L=J) or a pure Targaryen (Dany) or even has a dash of Targ blood (Aegon)

This essentially sums it up^

I know how many people on the forums hate the Targaryens but you cannot deny the Blood of the dragon/Zaldrizes is a real thing just like the blood of the first men. There is most likely a 3rd form as well being the blood of the Rhoynar as shown in the recently released excerpt of a world of ice and fire where the rhoynish did water magic.

Blood of the First Men is not just like blood of the dragon. First Men are humans, you know. Dragons aren't. It's like how wolf's blood doesn't mean way back in the day some Starks did the dirty with wolves in order to get high on canine blood.

I am curious about what sort of theory you have about the Rhoynar. Do you think the Rhoynar mated with fish in order to have 'blood of the water'?

So what you´re saying is that someone somewhere shagged a dragon and had a baby, who later became the sole ancestor of all Targaryens. I know genetics in ASOIAF is sketchy, but I don´t see this happening...

I always assumed that blood of a dragon is a way of saying "I have Valyrian ancestry" :dunno:

I always assumed that blood of a dragon is a way of saying "I have Valyrian ancestry" :dunno:

I think it is. But there may also be some kind of magical proclivity associated with that- like First Men and warging. Not literal dragon blood, but some geneticly transmitted magic that may make dragon taming easier (though not guaranteed), and may confer other occasional abnormalities like heat tolerance. And maybe madness.

Archived