Small Questions v. 10083

RumHam

Oh is it fan made? The guy who uploaded it included this link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/09/read-winds-of-winter-_n_2441002.html

That makes it seem like it's supposed to be official? I guess the author could have been duped. If it's not real it probably shouldn't be on the wiki as the cover.

It probably shouldn't be on the wiki as the "official" cover, but we use fan art all over the place on the wiki so it shouldn't hurt just being there. It doesn't really give away or spoil anything plus it's a pretty cool horn. :D

Is the Targaryen standard of wedding brother to sister something they started after The Doom or was it something all Valaryians practiced?

I think it was something they practiced before the Doom.

ETA:

It probably shouldn't be on the wiki as the "official" cover, but we use fan art all over the place on the wiki so it shouldn't hurt just being there. It doesn't really give away or spoil anything plus it's a pretty cool horn. :D

It would be a great cover, nevertheless. The horns have been pretty symbolic during the whole story.

Isn't it the most valuable thing you have? Be it an object or a person?

I suspect it's negotiable depending on the profile of the targat, the petitioner's plea, and the petitioner's wealth. In any event considerable sacrifice is required.

Faceless Men prices are confusing and there is no definitive answer in the books. It will differ according to who you ask I think. IMO they are only used by the desperate and the misguided, because I am of the opinion that the payment is not made in gold.

Is the price for a FM hit known? Always wondered about that

From SSM:

The Cost of Faceless Men

Note: This mail relates to a discussion on one of the boards, where an estimate at the cost of hiring a Faceless Man was made based on comments by Littlefinger. Martin responded, when presented with the estimates, that Littlefinger's statements were taken too literally.

The Faceless Men don't post a list of prices on their door. The way it works, you go to them and tell them who you want killed, and then they negotiate the price. The (more) prominent the victim, the more difficult to get to, the more dangerous for the assassin and the guild, the higher the price.

Did Brandon Stark have any bastards? I did a quick look through the wiki, but didn't come up with anything.

From SSM:

In A Dance with Dragons, we learn more about Brandon Stark and his interest in women, similar to Robert's. Did Brandon have any bastards as well?

It'd be an exaggeration to say that Brandon died before he could have children. It's established in the books that he was no virgin. He could very well have left behind some little Snows in the various places he visited. But what's absolutely clear is that he had no legitimate children.

What happens if a criminal is given the choice between the Wall and death, and chooses the Wall, and goes through the initial training, but then refuses to take the Night's Watch vows? He doesn't run off, he just refuses to say the words - has this ever happened? I assume he would be executed, but how and by whom? Or, do they have a dungeon with people like this and periodically ask, "Feel like getting out of here today? Take your vows." If he gets executed, would this be an execution for deserting the Night's Watch or an execution for committing the original crime? I don't know why I care about this minor detail but I do!

Do we have the story of anyone who went to Caste Black to take the vows voluntarily, like Jon Snow or Ser Waymar Royce, went through initial training, and then chose to leave without taking the vows? This would be allowed, right? I assume this has happened many times over the years but I don't remember hearing about anyone doing it. I'm curious how this person would be treated; I am guessing it would depend on what the man's situation at "home" was and why he went there in the first place.

What happens if a criminal is given the choice between the Wall and death, and chooses the Wall, and goes through the initial training, but then refuses to take the Night's Watch vows? He doesn't run off, he just refuses to say the words - has this ever happened? I assume he would be executed, but how and by whom? Or, do they have a dungeon with people like this and periodically ask, "Feel like getting out of here today? Take your vows." If he gets executed, would this be an execution for deserting the Night's Watch or an execution for committing the original crime? I don't know why I care about this minor detail but I do!

Do we have the story of anyone who went to Caste Black to take the vows voluntarily, like Jon Snow or Ser Waymar Royce, went through initial training, and then chose to leave without taking the vows? This would be allowed, right? I assume this has happened many times over the years but I don't remember hearing about anyone doing it. I'm curious how this person would be treated; I am guessing it would depend on what the man's situation at "home" was and why he went there in the first place.

Forced entry into the NW, but refusing to say the words, will lead to execution, either by the LC or by the Lord Paramount of the North.

(or whatever the title of the Starks was)

Those who voluntarily chose to join are free to leave, but they will most likely lose respect when they do so.

Is house Dustin extinct in the male line? It seems that way seeing as how their lands and influence are held by their old lord's widow and not by a uncle or cousin or something.

It seems like it, yes.

Forced entry into the NW, but refusing to say the words, will lead to execution, either by the LC or by the Lord Paramour of the North.

Those who voluntarily chose to join are free to leave, but they will most likely lose respect when they do so.

Thanks. Also, I love the idea of a Lord Paramour of the North. To make sure that winter is coming.

Archived