Small Questions v. 10083

RumHam

Do we know if there's slavery in Myr. Slavery article in wiki says so but I don't remember such thing in the books so...?

I'm fairly sure one of the Daenerys chapters says something like "all the free cities besides Braavos practiced slavery" or something along those lines.

My question is, was the Stag of Baratheon/Durrendon always crowned? Or was it only crowned after RR (to symbolize his kingship)

I'm fairly sure one of the Daenerys chapters says something like "all the free cities besides Braavos practiced slavery" or something along those lines.

My question is, was the Stag of Baratheon/Durrendon always crowned? Or was it only crowned after RR (to symbolize his kingship)

It's crowned in the Dunk and Egg novels, because Orys took the sigil of the Storm King. They changed this for the show, I think it may have been their first deviation apart from the ages of characters.

I'm rereading Jon in GoT, and I think I missed a part: there is a moment when he says that the girls are now alone because Lady is dead and Nymeria is lost. How could he know this?

A letter that just wasn't mentioned, probably. Some people suggest it may have been a subconscious warg thing, but then he would probably wonder how he knew that.

It's crowned in the Dunk and Egg novels, because Orys took the sigil of the Storm King. They changed this for the show, I think it may have been their first deviation apart from the ages of characters.

A letter that just wasn't mentioned, probably. Some people suggest it may have been a subconscious warg thing, but then he would probably wonder how he knew that.

As Ned sent the bones back it makes sense he'd send a raven to announce what happened. Robb would likely want to tell Jon so that's my explanation.

Lady's death could be mentioned in the same letter as Bran's waking up, depending how soon the Raven was sent. Ned didn't find out until Catelyn left King's Landing iirc so it would probably fit that Lady would be back in WF and Luwin would know of the incident on the Trident

Do we know if there's slavery in Myr. Slavery article in wiki says so but I don't remember such thing in the books so...?

Varys' master sold him to that wizard in Myr, so a slave was sold => slavery :)

it is forbidden in Pentos because of their treaty with Braavos (so either Dany is ignorant or she knows more about the real practice...). However, because it was emphasized that it is forbidden in Pentos, it seems that it is allowed in the other free cities (except Braavos).

BUT: this quote from Xaro is interestingly does not mention Myr:

"When you smashed the slave trade, the blow was felt from Westeros to Asshai. Qarth depends upon its slaves. So too Tolos, New Ghis, Lys, Tyrosh, Volantis … the list is long, my queen."

So, I think it is allowed to trade slaves in Myr, but slaves are not as important part of the society as in Volantis or Lys.

Varys' master sold him to that wizard in Myr, so a slave was sold => slavery :)

it is forbidden in Pentos because of their treaty with Braavos (so either Dany is ignorant or she knows more about the real practice...). However, because it was emphasized that it is forbidden in Pentos, it seems that it is allowed in the other free cities (except Braavos).

BUT: this quote from Xaro is interestingly does not mention Myr:

"When you smashed the slave trade, the blow was felt from Westeros to Asshai. Qarth depends upon its slaves. So too Tolos, New Ghis, Lys, Tyrosh, Volantis the list is long, my queen."

So, I think it is allowed to trade slaves in Myr, but slaves are not as important part of the society as in Volantis or Lys.

Dany stayed in Pentos for half a year. She'll know how it goes there ;)

My own question I've wanted to ask for about a day now :P

I've read an SSM or a statement by Ran somewhere some time ago that stated Varys' birds were provided to him the way they are (tongues cut out, knowing their letters, etc, nothing was specified though). I can't seem to find it now, however, but that has been happening all week to me, so perhaps someone here can help me? :)

I'm not really familiar with the SSM, but we have this from Illyrio (more or less states that Illyrio "prepares" the birds for Varys)

“I must have gold, and another fifty birds.”
“So many?” The voices were fainter as the light dwindled ahead of her. “The ones you need are hard to find... so young, to know their letters... perhaps older... not die so easy...”
“No. The younger are safer... treat them gently if they kept their tongues the risk...”

Hi guys, this my first post here. And I have one doubt about the Maekar's reign.

Is there any explanation or theory about why Maekar imprisoned Bloodraven?

If you copy and paste the following line into google there are many, many threads discussing it:

bloodraven imprisoned site:asoiaf.westeros.org

edt And Welcome btw :)

Hi guys, this my first post here. And I have one doubt about the Maekar's reign.

Is there any explanation or theory about why Maekar imprisoned Bloodraven?

Why exactly Bloodraven was imprisoned is unknown, though we do know Maekar didn't really like Bloodraven.

An interesting fact that moat of the threads about it probably haven't mentioned yet, is that after Maekars death, Bloodraven was in the Great Council who decided who became king.

Why exactly Bloodraven was imprisoned is unknown, though we do know Maekar didn't really like Bloodraven.

An interesting fact that moat of the threads about it probably haven't mentioned yet, is that after Maekars death, Bloodraven was in the Great Council who decided who became king.

What? :stunned:

can you provide the source please?

Why does the Vale go to another house (Hardyng) in the event of Robert's death instead of the Arryns of Gulltown? Despite being a cadet branch they are still probably the closest relations left. I can see them as being close than the Karstarks to Starks but perhaps not Lannisters of Lanisport closer to their respective main branches. I mean they say the Arryn's of Gulltown aren't held in high respect but still, it doesn't seen like they should be passed over.

I'm rereading Jon in GoT, and I think I missed a part: there is a moment when he says that the girls are now alone because Lady is dead and Nymeria is lost. How could he know this?

Not a small question. The more popular theories are that Jon learned it thru the Warg network of dreams, or from Ghost, while some think that Jon got a notes, like when he got word of Ned's death.

?

Welcome to the boards.

Why does the Vale go to another house (Hardyng) in the event of Robert's death instead of the Arryns of Gulltown? Despite being a cadet branch they are still probably the closest relations left. I can see them as being close than the Karstarks to Starks but perhaps not Lannisters of Lanisport closer to their respective main branches. I mean they say the Arryn's of Gulltown aren't held in high respect but still, it doesn't seen like they should be passed over.

It tells you in the books, that the closes relationship is thru the sisters' children. We don't know how far back that the Arryns of Gulltown spilt off from the Major house.

As Ned sent the bones back it makes sense he'd send a raven to announce what happened. Robb would likely want to tell Jon so that's my explanation.

Lady's death could be mentioned in the same letter as Bran's waking up, depending how soon the Raven was sent. Ned didn't find out until Catelyn left King's Landing iirc so it would probably fit that Lady would be back in WF and Luwin would know of the incident on the Trident

Not a small question. The more popular theories are that Jon learned it thru the Warg network of dreams, or from Ghost, while some think that Jon got a notes, like when he got word of Ned's death.

Thanks for the answers. I think there is a chance it was via letter send by Robb, probably. I thought I had missed something while reading :P

Archived