Small Questions v. 10083

RumHam

Why does the Vale go to another house (Hardyng) in the event of Robert's death instead of the Arryns of Gulltown? Despite being a cadet branch they are still probably the closest relations left. I can see them as being close than the Karstarks to Starks but perhaps not Lannisters of Lanisport closer to their respective main branches. I mean they say the Arryn's of Gulltown aren't held in high respect but still, it doesn't seen like they should be passed over.

Harry the Heir descends from the sister of Jon Arryn. Closer related than the Arryns of Gulltown.

Varys' master sold him to that wizard in Myr, so a slave was sold => slavery :)

it is forbidden in Pentos because of their treaty with Braavos (so either Dany is ignorant or she knows more about the real practice...). However, because it was emphasized that it is forbidden in Pentos, it seems that it is allowed in the other free cities (except Braavos).

It's in the first Daenerys chapter, I don't have the book to hand but it's something like "Slavery was forbidden in the free city of Pentos, but they were still slaves." (in reference to the two servant girls who were helping her wash and dress). So yeah, she does know how it really works there.

Here's a question: from what I've seen, dragons seem to be mentioned in the lore of people older than the time of Aegon's conquest (when the first Targ dragons were brought to Westeros). Did dragons live around the world (feral dragons that is), before the Valyrians tamed them?

Here's a question: from what I've seen, dragons seem to be mentioned in the lore of people older than the time of Aegon's conquest (when the first Targ dragons were brought to Westeros). Did dragons live around the world (feral dragons that is), before the Valyrians tamed them?

I can't recall the source right now, but I'm pretty sure that you're right. Feral dragons roamed around the world, and Valyrians were the only ones that managed to tame them and used them in their conquests.

GRRM once said dragons used to live all over the world. That could explain it :p

It's in the first Daenerys chapter, I don't have the book to hand but it's something like "Slavery was forbidden in the free city of Pentos, but they were still slaves." (in reference to the two servant girls who were helping her wash and dress). So yeah, she does know how it really works there.

Sorry, this comment was meant to be sarcastic, I just don't know the appropriate font type to express it :blush: . Of course Dany knew about the reality in Pentos, witnessing firsthand Illyrio's dealings with the dothraki (e.g. "gifting" and "re-gifting" Irri and Jhiqui).

Yes, there were dragons all over the world, once (based on this SSM).

That cover art has been around for a while now, I think its just something done by fans? So its most likely fan interpretation of the Dragonbinder or Horn of Winter. I eould suggest the latter, given the title.of the novel

So we've got a cover.. what does this mean?

Nothing, that "cover" has been around for at least a few months, probably.longer (I found it when I googled winds of winter to look for the summaries of chapters back in January). Sorry to dampen your hopes :p

Hmm, didn't know it came from there as a source. Is that source known to.be reliable? Just it certainly.doesn't look very official for the cover, and the article is quite dated now anyway as it talks about releasing the Arriane sample...wouldn't the wiki already have been updated if George had revealed the cover art of Winds?

lmao, shot in the dark but, Ser Gerold Dayne's parents? (it has to be a male Dayne, with a female mystery greater house)

not necessarily. Since it's Dorne, IIRC when there is only a female heir, the child takes her last name, and not the name of the father, to keep the seat in the family.

Look at the Martells. Dorans mother was a Martell by birth, yet her children kept her name, not the name of her husband.

Ser Gerolds parents are unknown, currently. As in: we know absolutely nothing about them.

Archived