[Book Spoilers] Marsh + Thorne

I posted a comment in the book spoilers thread, but no one seemed to notice it, so I thought it would make a decent thread by itself.

In the books Bowen Marsh takes a wound in a fight against wildlings. He becomes overly cautious/fearful/anti-wildling because of this wound.

Marsh seems to have vanished from the show

I seem to recall that in the books, Marsh acts as acting commander until their can be a choosing, something that Thorne has been tasked with in the show.

In the battle for the wall Thorne takes a wound, and imo having stepped up to fill Marsh's place as acting commander I can't help but wonder if these two character's are being combined.

Is it possible we could see a changed Thorne next season? Or even in episode 10?

The talk he had with Jon displaying some respect for one another leads me to believe we may have a more likeable Thorne from now on, which would also fit with Marsh's character, who at first was quite amiable towards Jon.

It would make Jon's stabbing that much more shocking I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it a darn shame that it looks like it is heading that way. They need to put some new NW faces up there. Janos will be gone for the moment almost all are waiting for. They can't have edd do the stabbing, that would break me. Maybe use some of the NW that got some screentime during the battle. NW member 54 or NW steward with boiling water. Satin looks to be replaced by Olly. I can only assume with the arrival of the fresh nw like Cotter pyke that they'll include some of the conspirators. If not mabye Thorne on his lonesome doing the stabbing?

You know, Thorne wasn't my first candidate for our Bowen. It was Edd. I don't know, it was just some of the expressions his actor pulled during the battle of Castle Black that made me think he'd take that role. Plus D&D have shown that they like to ratchet up the big events from the books: the Red Wedding, with Talisa being stabbed in the Ned repeatedly, and again in Oberyn vs The Mountain when the Mountain exploded Oberyn's head. Edd being the one to take Bowen's place feels like a similar upgrade from the books, albeit one that's more emotional than it its graphic or grotesque.

I think Ed will take the role of Dareon. Sad as that would be it conserves characters, Ed is someone you could see snapping and giving up and Ed doesn't really do anything in TWOW.

Thorne can take on Bowen's role pretty easily and there isn't really any need to give his co-conspirators major speaking roles. They're all minor characters in the book.

Archived