How would you rate episode 410?

Ran

How would you rate episode 410?  

1,081 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I can't help but feeling if they'd cast a different Cersei, say, Carice Van Houten, the writing would be much different. for all the criticism Dany gets, I'm pretty sure they do Cersei much more favors...

If I recall correctly, Carice van Houten was supposed to be portraying Cersei, but she was busy or something and turned the role down.

Honestly I thought it was a great episode of television. The emphasize being television, not viewed through the lens of what's missing from the books.

The books are better, we all know that. But it still can be a great hour of TV even if it doesn't quite reach the heights in the books. I'd give it a 10, not because it's perfect but because it's as good an hour TV as you're ever going to see.

Not just that. The whole Cersei confession was stupid, only to die a couple of minutes later...

It was also a pretty pointless and absurd threat. Cersei wants to stay in KL to protect Tommen so she threatens to reveal something that's going to get him killed? What does she think's gonna happen once she tells the world that Tommen, and Joffrey before him weren't true kings? WTF?!

It was also a pretty pointless and absurd threat. Cersei wants to stay in KL to protect Tommen so she threatens to reveal something that's going to get him killed? What does she think's gonna happen once she tells the world that Tommen, and Joffrey before him weren't true kings? WTF?!

Followed by an awkward staredown.

"I Don't believe you."

"Yes you do."

*Awkward staring*

"No no no" *Tywin walks away"

Edited by The Red Melli

Oh what could have been... If Carice was Cersei we might have Cersei in the show instead of Rebecca Lannister. Not that I think D&D have a dislike of Carice just because Melony is portrayed as darker, but rather given their comments on Lena and Cersei, I feel their writing of her is much more sympathetic than in the books...

A 9. Great episode! Bonus points for deleting Lady Stoneheart, the right decision!

ETA:

The show loses a point for the awful Army of Darkness rip-off that was the Bran segment. It would have lost 2 points for it, but it got a bonus point for deleting Lady Stoneheart.

Edited by Sun

People keep saying what Cersei did was a confession. It wasn't a confession, it was extortion. She was threatening her father so he wouldn't send her to Highgarden. I thought that was one of the pointless scenes. Probably only meant to give Lena Headey a dramatic scene in the finale.

I am aware that it was done as an extortion, but was a confession nonetheless. I agree that the scene was pointless, for all the reasons you said,as was the following one with Jaime. I also hated it because it was totally out of character, Cersei would never do anything to jeopardize her rule through her children. Jaime mentioned it multiple times and she was always against it.

Cersei's "confession" or "extortion" or whatever you want to call it was incredibly self-destructive, even for her. If she admits that, then she loses everything. Literally, this is what they went to war over in the first place! That's not a bargaining chip to use to get out of marrying Loras. She would be killed. Tommen and Myrcella would be killed. Having her reveal that was just dumb.

More trying to make Cersei into some overprotective and over-attached mother instead of a power-hungry bitch who uses her children as pawns in her own game.

I wanted to rate this a 9, but the lack of LS and book-fanatics crying over it puts me to a 10, simply for that enjoyment.

I love D&D goes another way than the books. I've read the books, but really sorely annoyed when I hear/read some snide remarks from people who read the books like: "Yeah, but just wait till blah blah blah".

I can't not compare it to the books. In the title credits it says "based on A Song of Ice and Fire," not "loosely inspired by." I judge this show as an adaption, not as a standalone piece of work.

The books matter.

Exactly. I don't watch very much TV at all. The only reason I watch GoT is because I read the books. Had I not done that, I wouldn't be watching.

How does that not make sense? He can't want to save his brother and have sex at the same time? Cersei seduces him but that doesn't mean she changed his mind about rescuing Tyrion. I believe the purpose of that scene was to show that Jaime, as far as he's come, still wants to be with Cersei and rule the world together. But ultimately, it doesn't stop him from doing something good. Something that he knows she would hate.

In the books she tries to give Jaime oral sex and he pushes her away. It is a clear progression of his character development that they established so well in Season 3. She always used sex to manipulate him. Him refusing her at this time was a clear plot point that he was no longer going to accept that treatment. The portrayal in this episode does not continue that development and just layers on the confusion they started with in Episode 3.

Really great post. Agree with most of it.

Don't understand this point though. What are you talking about here?

In series 1, there was an attempted assassination. The fallout from that is what lead to the war. Events in this series is when the person behind that assassination attempt is revealed - but they neglected to cover it.

The scene was not pointless. Cersei was so distraught over losing her last son that she was willing to reveal the whole secret and bring down her house in order to keep him.

Now think back to what happened in season one, Ned offered her a chance for her to go in to exile. Had she taken the offer she would have kept all her children safe with her.

It just goes to show that Ned Stark wasn't the stupid one, Cersei was.

Is very consistent with the subtext of a dance with dragons which to show the reader that Ned wasn't stupid, it's the people who didn't listen to him that were.

5/10. The most disappointing episode of this show. Ever. I guess I just have one question for the show writers....

Why change things that are so perfect in the books...?!?! There is a reason people obsess and love this book series, it's cause George is a damn good writer that crafts fantastic scenes of dialogue and character development. The show does none of this. I'll save my complaints to the nitpicking thread, but seriously, I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a visual adaptation than Tyrion's entire final scene this episode. That chapter was an absolute masterpiece, and the show watered it down and changed it and fucked with it so much I have to wonder if the people that make this show ever LIKE the books in the first place.

So yeah, I heavily disliked this episode, and season as a whole. Oh well though. I'm just a book purist I suppose, so don't take what I say seriously.

Everything about this entire episode was spectacular. 10, easy 10. Best episode of the entire show, possibly. People rating this episode poorly…I'm not quite sure about these people. Just stop watching. It's not supposed to be a dramatic reading of the book. Brienne-Hound fight was incredible.