How would you rate episode 410?

Ran

How would you rate episode 410?  

1,081 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Implications of Tyrions escape aren't yet known. I do you had the problem with Jamie/Cersei, I do as well, but we don't know how show will handle any of that yet. What else didn't make sense in there? Why he killed the woman who betrayed him in anger? Why he killed the Father that hated him and betrayed him at every opportunity? I missed Tysha stuff as well, the Tyrion escape in general I felt was rushed and not done perfectly. It lacked the impact, but it worked out story wise..

My issue is not that he killed Shae. The issue is why did he go there in the first place. In the books he has a reason. In the show he did not.

I don't know what to feel about the Brienne/Hound Brawl... two possible gripes though. 1. what sheer luck for Brienne! running right into Arya! its so unrealistic... 2. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, and I'm no expert to be sure, but wouldn't a well built man with a slight fever (does he even still have this fever in the show?) still be enough to beat a well built woman with ease? I mean, Brienne is tough... but Sandor is tougher. Biologically speaking, I think Sandor would realistically have this fight very easy.

No clue why people didn't like the Hound/Brienne fight, disregarding "book vs. series".

Several reasons, actually:

1) The Hound shouldn't be free and able to meet Brienne, since in the last episode he loudly declared that he had Arya Stark as a prisoner while surrounded by soldiers.

2) Brienne attitude towards the Hound and Arya, and her willingness to start a fight without resorting first to negotiation or convincing, was stupid and out of character.

3) Once Arya is missing, Brienne or Pod not going to look where the Hound is, is stupid.

4) A random meeting beween Brienne/Pod and Hound/Arya is just to random. It's a huge world, and the chances would be infinitesimal. The Hound is a criminal on the run: he should be hiding.

5) If they wanted to use the fever as an excuse for the Hound losing against Brienne, they should have mentioned it sometime, or make it more obvious.

Edited by L'Ós Pelut

I don't know what to feel about the Brienne/Hound Brawl... two possible gripes though. 1. what sheer luck for Brienne! running right into Arya! its so unrealistic... 2. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, and I'm no expert to be sure, but wouldn't a well built man with a slight fever (does he even still have this fever in the show?) still be enough to beat a well built woman with ease? I mean, Brienne is tough... but Sandor is tougher. Biologically speaking, I think Sandor would realistically have this fight very easy.

IF Stones will come:

Brienne: WAIT I had Arya and wanted to save her, but I lost her.

Stoneheart: Awww.. Thoros, remove the rope.

And all dance and all were happy. Then five of them suddenly died, as they served no purpose anymore and double D needed shock value.

The adaptation suddenly moves dangerously near to M. Night's The Last Airbender.

My issue is not that he killed Shae. The issue is why did he go there in the first place. In the books he has a reason. In the show he did not.

I don't know, I had the feeling Tyrion had a reason or two to be angry with his father even without the Tysha story (which again I do miss and I think was one of the shows worst changes). Again I'm not defending every change, I'm saying nothing major has changed.

While I certainly didn't hate this episode, I didn't enjoy it a much as I have done other finales. I felt it lacked in emotion and depth. There were many set piece and big moments, but there seemed little in the way of any real character driven moments where we understand people motivations and learn more about them. The Tyrion stuff seemed much less impactful in the show and I hated the way the Shae stuff came about, was nice to see Tywin get his like he did, but it didnt have the same depth of emotion as in the books.

I missed not having LS but I've waited for that for so long now that I kind of accepted it probably wasn't going to happen just so I wouldn't be disappointed as much. The Children visually didn't quite work for me either, and BR didn't look quite as I imagined him, he seemed underwhelming.

I can't figure out how to honestly rate this episode, so I'm rating sections, then I'll average:

Jon/Stannis (8) -- > I wanted Stannis to arrive last week, but I enjoyed Stannis/Davos/Jon/Mance. The show will never meet my expectations, but it was a nice few mins for me.

Cersei/Pycelle/Qyburn (7) --> Eh, it was alright. Not terrible, not special. I'm giving it a C.

Cersei/Tywin and Jaime/Cersei (4) --> I want to love these scenes (I adore LH, CD and NCW)... but this sucked for me. So out of character.

Dany (7) --> Again, it was ok for me. Nothing special :-(

Tormund/Jon/Ygritte's Send off (7) --> Nice but not special, too long.

Bran/Jojen/Meera/Hodor/CotF (3) --> Wow. It made me giggle with the skeletons and fireballs... so cheesey looking!! I actually shook my head and turned on The Wire at this point on my tablet.

Bloodraven (6) --> To be fair, no TV show can top what's in my head for him... still, HUGE letdown.

Brienne/Pod, Arya/Sandor (9) --> Ridiculous, inorganic meet up of the four, and I hated the fight (B doesn't beat S in any realm) -- so I took a point off, but the ACTING fixed it all for me! Maisie Williams plays dead (emotionally) sooooo freaking well, and Rory McCann asking her to kill him was fantastic.

Tyrion/Jaime & Tyrion/Shae (3) --> Ridiculous. Enough said.

Tyrion/Tywin (7) --> Wasn't great but it was OK for me.

Arya's closing scene (8) --> I liked the closer and again, Maisie Williams deserves an Emmy.

If I've done my math correctly (it's early here, lol)...

Overall rating: 6.27

And that is without taking points off for LS.

(ETA: spelling)

Edited by ipsuel

I *was* going to vote 9 'cos no LS. Then I thought I'd change it to a 10 to cancel out someone's 1 vote. Then I was going to create a bunch of alts and make them vote 10 because the episode was incredible TV with a whole host of satisfying conclusions and enough intrigue to make me anxious for the next 9 months to fly by. I was also going to create another bunch of alts and make them vote 1 'cos ya know, no LS and D&D hate ASOIAF so much that they are probably going to come to my house and rip my copies up of the books before wiping their pooey bums on them.

And then I remembered... This is just an internet discussion board, and it makes absolutely no difference to anything or anyone how I or anyone else 'rate' the show.

So I gave it a 10.

As a book reader, I felt completely disconnected from this episode. The beginning was strong, I'll give it that much. Mance was somewhat more like his book counterpart this time around and hell, even Stannis was not COMPLETELY unlikable. Then came the changes and I honestly lost track of how many times I was left scratching my head. Jaime/Cersei resuming their incest and Cersei admitting it to Tywin? The fuck. Tyrion deciding "Hm, I'm on my way to an already risky escape, but I'll pay a visit to my father along the way. Who knows, might catch him on a privy or something, where he won't be able to defend himself or call the guards on me". The omission of Tysha motive really screwed things up there. The Hound losing a swordfight AND even a fistfight to Brienne- yeah, right, ain't never happening. The entire Bran sequence was atrocious and the dreadful CGI skeletons didn't help. Looked like something ripped out of Skyrim. I dunno, I guess I could give it a 5 at best.

As a book reader, I didn't like the hurried scene between Jamie and Tyrion, the lack of Tysha explanation, or the how the Tyrion/Tyron scene didn't reach the magnificent heights I was expecting.

I was also hoping for LS, but, so be it .... she'll come eventually.

I was most disappointed with the lack of "Where Whore's go". I wanted that more than anything.

As a tv show viewer, it brought tears to my eyes 3 times and had me engrossed from start to finish.

I am not a Stannis fan, but the whole NW, Stannis/Davos andJon Snow/Mance scenes were brilliant. Jon Snow burning and saying goodbye to Ygritte in his own way, was powerful. Cersei had Tywin speechless (not a reality - do we really believe Tywin didn't already know). Dany usually bores me to tears, but half of what she did was worthy and moving. Brienne/ The Hound/Arya .... Wow, just Wow! Fierce and heart wrenching!

The final scene of Arya producing the iron coin, the reaction of the sea captain and then her heading off into the unknown .... also powerful.

Yeah, there was missed opportunities and it could have had the most jaw dropping 'omfg what did I just see happen ending', but this episode was still compelling from start to finish for me. For the first time, i'm getting over my book prejudices and scoring the final of tv show season 4 ........ a 10.

Oh .... and as Gravyon said .... "masterful trolling by Lena"

And how could I forget the brief return of Jaqen in the preview.

I'm saying nothing major has changed.

I couldn't agree less.

• Tyrion didn't have a reason to risk his freedom and seek out Tywin

Tyrion doesn't have a reason to resent Jaime

Jaime doesn't have a reason to resent Cersei

Jaime doesn't have a reason to resent Tyrion

The story is primarily a character driven drama with the intrigue and suspense based upon the motivations and choices of the characters. Jaime and Cersei are now reconciled and free to live happily ever after. Tyrion is now free of Cersei's machinations and now knows he has a loving brother waiting for him with open arms if ever he is able to return. gag

Good episode, not great, gave a 7.

Tyrion / Jaime not discussing Tysha seemed a little wrong. Still, fathers day was done well enough.

Cersei / Tywin, I understand why they did this, it was to show how manipulative she is and the lengths she will go to.

Bran, good scene

Arya taking charge, good

Several reasons, actually:

1) The Hound shouldn't be free and able to meet Brienne, since in the last episode he loudly declared that he had Arya Stark as a prisoner while surrounded by soldiers.

4) A random meeting beween Brienne/Pod and Hound/Arya is just to random. It's a huge world, and the chances would be infinitesimal. The Hound is a criminal on the run: he should be hiding.

5) If they wanted to use the fever as an excuse for the Hound losing against Brienne, they should have mentioned it sometime, or make it more obvious.

1)The Hound called Arya his travelling companion , he never referred to her as his prisoner .

4) They are on the road to the eyrie not travelling cross country , also why would anybody in the Vale be interested in helping the Lannisters hunt down the Hound?

5)In the same episode just before they get to the bloody gate Arya points out that the wound on his neck has him walking a lot slower than usual.

Although I did find it odd that they didn't look for the Hound after the fight when Arya went missing.

I couldn't agree less.

The story is primarily a character driven drama with the intrigue and suspense based upon the motivations and choices of the characters. Jaime and Cersei are now reconciled and free to live happily ever after. Tyrion is now free of Cersei's machinations and now knows he has a loving brother waiting for him with open arms if ever he is able to return. gag

Perhaps DD will make Jaime tell Cersei he freed Tyrion. She asks him and he tells her.

haha. I agree so with your post. I always thought the show is great and changed stuff to the better. Was wrong. They ruined it.

Tyrion didn't have a reason to risk his freedom and seek out Tywin

That's awfully reductivist. Of course he had a reason to confront him. Tywin is his father, the man who condemned him to death for no reason whatsoever, who hated him his whole damn life. Tyrion most certainly doesn't need additional motivation to settle the score with Tywin.

I couldn't agree less.

Tyrion still had plenty of reason to be mad at Tywin. I mean where to start.

Yup, that's the major problem with the lack of Tysha.

Oh Jamie has plenty of reason to resent Cersei. It's not everything is now perfect. This is not the end of it all, the next season IS coming.

Well, there's the whole killing their father thing. Doubt Jamie will be all that pleased with that.

You make it sound as if that one scene changes that past 4 seasons (and before show backstory) of interactions. It hurts and I have no idea why they dropped it (again it's the worst change they've made to date) but it's not the end of the world.

That's awfully reductivist. Of course he had a reason to confront him. Tywin is his father, the man who condemned him to death for no reason whatsoever, who hated him his whole damn life. Tyrion most certainly doesn't need additional motivation to settle the score with Tywin.

His father didn't condemn anyone.

His father intended to spare him from the beginning.

Tyrion condemned himself to death in a fair trial by combat.

Should Tywin just say "Fuck it, you are still my son and I let you live, even if all agreed on accepting the verdict of the trial by combat"