How would you rate episode 410?

Ran

How would you rate episode 410?  

1,081 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Have to say I was massively disappointed about no Tysha revelation from Jaime... it makes his rage against Tywin that much more potent (not to mention turning against Jaime as well), and it literally consumes his thoughts in the next book.

BUT... the show is its own entity. Does Tyrion killing Shae & Tywin still "work" on the show? Did Tyrion have enough motivation already for it to be believable? Yes, I think so. And I can understand how it would be difficult for them to "switch tracks" from Shae to Tysha on the show. I am confident they tried it, and they couldn't get it to work. Omitting Tysha lets them keep the focus on Tyrion's betrayal from someone we've actually SEEN on the show (Shae).

Also was hoping for LS (and a few more Jon Snow items)... but if they've saved that for next season, so be it.

So with those caveats in place... 10/10. Television does not get any better than this.

The trouble is, the way they changed Shae to make her into a more well-rounded, caring and dignified character doesn't fit with what just happened. I found it ridiculous that show Shae would condemn Tyrion to death simply because he tried to force her onto a ship away from KL. As to the motivation for Tyrion to kill Shae, yes the betrayal was bad, but thinking clearly Tyrion would never have gone up to the tower of the hand in the first place. The justification for the motive is there but the point of the Tysha reveal is that the major event from his youth that has shaped his development into the person he is was based on a lie. Learning of the major betrayal of his family is a greater reason for sending him over the edge and makes much more sense.

I rated the episode a 6 because what was done well was excellent but what was done poorly was very disappointing. Fairly indicative of the season in my opinion.

How many people are in the world? What does that even have to do with it lol.

I agree plenty of people dislike it...but more like it than dont. More is a majority. Thats how the world works, because thats how money is made.

Not sure what the total population of the US really has to do with itthough when its one of the all time top rated shows.

Plenty of people on the forum also like it...

I'm saying going by sheer numbers isn't an indication if its good. Twilight seems to be better selling than ASOIAF. Kesha's Tik Tok is a platinum selling song. Gangnum Style is one of the most viewed songs on YouTube and its predecessor was Justin Bieber. Unless all those are quality. I could be wrong there too.

Would have been 8/9 if not for the Skeletons vs Balls of Fire scene which is up there with the worst in the show's history.

Hound scenes were brilliant. McCann was incredible. They also managed to make Stannis seem only slightly dislikeable which is something...

The show isn't the book.

I always tell myself that before the nada-nada-nada-nada starts. That's why things like Hound vs. Brienne not only didn't bother me, I enjoyed it. Two of the best sword fighters in the relm going at it? Yes please. But when things like Bloodraven come up...man. It's hard to justify what the whole scene was. Leaf tossing out magic grenades to destroy the cgi skeletons from the Land of the Lost...the Disneyland ride stabbing of Little Grandfather (I sware I could see the gears moving)...Bran's blowing off his best friend's death(so, about my legs)...and Bloodraven...my god Bloodraven...if he didn't say the fly line...

The ending....An ending which they can't even explain away with lack of time or contract bullshit. They were under timewise and knew the scene was needed last year. They could have easily filmed it, put it in the can, and dusted it off for yesterday.

My brother, who I always gage the show by because he's a non-book no spoliers watcher, loved it. So I have to overlook what I was expecting to see and take it for what it is. It was an 8.

My god Bloodraven hurt my soul.

I'm saying going by sheer numbers isn't an indication if its good. Twilight seems to be better selling than ASOIAF. Kesha's Tik Tok is a platinum selling song. Gangnum Style is one of the most viewed songs on YouTube and its predecessor was Justin Bieber. Unless all those are quality. I could be wrong there too.

Indeed there is a difference between "quality" and "popularity".... and everyone is entitled to their own opinion of what is "quality". But we cannot decide if something is popular. That is where the numbers come in.

This once again leads me to the age old question, "Why do the people who hate the show and hate D&D still watch it every weekend?" Their weekly turnout only helps boost its popularity.

Indeed there is a difference between "quality" and "popularity".... and everyone is entitled to their own opinion of what is "quality". But we cannot decide if something is popular. That is where the numbers come in.

This once again leads me to the age old question, "Why do the people who hate the show and hate D&D still watch it every weekend?" Their weekly turnout only helps boost its popularity.

A mix of hope and/or denial that they'll capture the books I love. I also do it to explain everything to my sister and some friends. Another indication that the show is poorly done. To the shows credit, it might be the best we'll ever hope to get but that's because this type of literature is too complex for visual media.

Hello!?

Gangnam style brought the worlds together and changed my world view forever.

And Justin? Well he had the decency to release one of the best videos of all time. Of ALL time. I mean his prison interview is gold. It is Oscar gold.

Yikes.

I'm not arguing numbers equalling quantity so I'm going to move on since the points completely lost.

I laughed when Leaf started to unleash fire spells at the Skyletons, but I still enjoyed it. I thought Bruce Campbell was going to replace Coldhands and tear it up with his chainsaw, but its good to see more fantasy elements in this show. The portrayal of Leaf was really good, different, but still pretty cool. BR could've been better, but maybe we'll get another recast, LOL, and they'll make him more like the books.

You must be new here ;) The ASoIaF fanbase (or at least this forum) is full of faithful who hate on just about everything the series does differently from the books.

And the non-appearance of LS in many ways made me happy less because I simply didn't want her to appear than because I knew it would send a lot of fans into a complete meltdown. (Too bad there are no vote-downs on this forum, I think I'd have a few by now...) :)

yeah, kinda sorta new...i've read and love grrm's books as much as the next person, but i also know that adaptations *never* live up to the book (lonesome dove and shogun come to mind)... i wasn't crazy about LS in the books so wouldn't be terribly disappointed if she failed to make an appearance

Well done for the HBO story.

Nice touches;

Varys decides to take that cruise after all

"People coming. You can shit later, there's people coming."

Brienne vs Sandor brawl. She starts off all knightly and by the end she's bit off his ear and is bashing him over and over with a rock. He grabs her sword with both hands. She slugs him in the balls; he kicks her in the crotch. Tough customers. The beginning of a beautiful friendship.

"Valar Morghulis." Complete confidence.

thumbs down:

Bloodraven. The skeletons from Jason and the Argonauts three decades ago were better. Grenades? Bayaz with a long beard?

Just re watched the episode because I had thought I saw something first time around and I did. Did anyone take a good look at Jojen's death scene? Horrible editing. During the battle Meera pushes Jojen back and out of the way. But Jojen partially recovers and is partially on his left side leaning on his left elbow and his head is facing Bran who he is looking at. There are two shots of this, "Bran, save yourself... now! He shouts. As two Skeletons pop out of the ground. Then Jojen for some unknown reason has completely changed positions, he has not gotten up, but instead has for some reason turned his feet to face Bran and laid completely flat on his back and now has to do a crunch to look at him and suddenly has lost any strength as the partially dead body slowly pulls out the knife. So why did Jojen spin around to lay flat on his back and to face his feet towards Bran rather than his head? If you watch the scene you can see there was also no body next to Jojen when he went down. In fact the Body is about 10-15 feet away from Jojen and when he falls he falls away from it.

So Jojen went down, 10-15 feet away from the body that will eventually kill him. Turns around on his side to face Bran, as the body must have slowly moved sideways towards him, turns around again to face his feet towards Bran and lays flat on his back, and becomes totally petrified from the neck down. Sit there and lets the body slowly pull it's knife, and then just lays there as as he gets stabbed, he didn't even move his arms. That is some great film work, if you are watching a B rated horror movie.

Gave it a 10 in my head as soon as Jon said 'I know he's a king. My father died for him.' Even cried a bit there.

I literally yay-ed when Stan the man and the gang arrived, and the whole scene was amazing for me. Jon and Mel exchanging looks over fire... wow.

I think of myself as a book purist and I always point out what was not in the books to my non-reader friends, but I learned not to let it bother me, and this time I didn't mind any of it, not even the fireball throwing CotF, Skeletor WWs or whatever are they called.

I usually whine about whitewashing Cercei in the show, but I liked her scene with Jaime, Lena made me think 'Wow she really loves him' even though at this point in the books I was almost sure she never did.

Not sure what will be made of all the Quiet isle story now that Brienne and The Hound have met, but the fight was good to watch, and Arya's farewell also.

In general I think the acting was the main thing that made me give it a 10 even Emilia's which usually makes me cringe.

I saw an interview in which Lena expressed her belief that Cersei wants to be Jaime rather than truly loves him. I thought they were going that way in the show as that was the impression I got before reading the books. I thought Cersei practically articulated that feeling. The books confirmed this for me. You're right though, that scene suggested otherwise and it baffles me that they've changed that interpretation in just one swift scene so far in.

If they're going to change things, they need to follow through on that change and make it work on the level they have altered it to. For example, if you take out the Tysha reveal and make Shae into a more dignified and likable character then it would have been better to change it so much that it makes it work, by which I mean not have her condemn him to death. Maybe they could have had Tywin catch Shae and have her killed, giving Tyrion the stronger motivation for confronting and killing him when he escapes. That's just off the top of my head and it would have worked better than not having the Tysha reveal and including the Shae betrayal.

Just re watched the episode because I had thought I saw something first time around and I did. Did anyone take a good look at Jojen's death scene? Horrible editing. During the battle Meera pushes Jojen back and out of the way. But Jojen partially recovers and is partially on his left side leaning on his left elbow and his head is facing Bran who he is looking at. There are two shots of this, "Bran, save yourself... now! He shouts. As two Skeletons pop out of the ground. Then Jojen for some unknown reason has completely changed positions, he has not gotten up, but instead has for some reason turned his feet to face Bran and laid completely flat on his back and now has to do a crunch to look at him and suddenly has lost any strength as the partially dead body slowly pulls out the knife. So why did Jojen spin around to lay flat on his back and to face his feet towards Bran rather than his head? If you watch the scene you can see there was also no body next to Jojen when he went down. In fact the Body is about 10-15 feet away from Jojen and when he falls he falls away from it.

So Jojen went down, 10-15 feet away from the body that will eventually kill him. Turns around on his side to face Bran, as the body must have slowly moved sideways towards him, turns around again to face his feet towards Bran and lays flat on his back, and becomes totally petrified from the neck down. Sit there and lets the body slowly pull it's knife, and then just lays there as as he gets stabbed, he didn't even move his arms. That is some great film work, if you are watching a B rated horror movie.

That whole sequence was so bad I found it endearing, they are going on a quest to the secret tree fort to meet a mysterious wizard guy, what did people expect realism? Some are actually complaining that they didn't keep in the zombie riding the giant Elk. I thought it being cheesy sort of suited the material.