How would you rate episode 410?

Ran

How would you rate episode 410?  

1,081 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Seriously, reading through these rating of the episodes threads is becoming a real chore.

Let's face it, statistically a great episode should be around 7-9 and an absolutely perfect one ala Blackwater should be 10. Equally even the worst episode should be around 3-4, with probably no episodes deserving a complete 1 because of the strength of the source material.

However, as always, what the hell is with all the 10/10 'yay this is super perfect in everyway!' crowd? If you call that finale a 10/10 your ability to discern good television from average or subpar television is seriously open to question.

You could say 'well, each to their own' and although you wouldn't be wrong, I just feel I have to say to those people who think this is perfect ... really?

How is that episode perfect and without a single flaw? Not a single one? Please enlighten me because I actually want to know?

What I saw instead was a T.V show that has completely forgotten the source material on which its based. Just to remphasise, all the writers have to do is take a solid existing story and translate it reasonably faithfully onto screen ... that's it.

Instead they feel they have to constantly change things that don't need changing. For example:

1. How ... the .. fuck ... did the Hound and Arya just show up at the Vale and then just leave? Didn't LF hear about it? How about Sansa? How about anyone?

2. Brienne vs The Hound ... yeah that's awesome, its also good to know that, all in, the episode spent more time on that whole sequence that the Mountain vs Red Viper. So an event that never should have taken place gets preferential treatment for one of the absolute key moments in the entire series.

3. We get it, people like Tyrion, I personally never have liked him as a character (love his POV's though) but why can't he possibly ever have even the slightest shade of grey in the T.V show. Shae of course would have to straight up stab him, I mean thats completely in line with her character, and everything that has preceded with her developement since season two ... oh wait, no it wasn't.

4. The writers haven't a fucking clue about Stannis, or how to work with his storyline.

5. The writers of the T.V show consistently miss the cool little things in the books and exchange them for Podricks magic penis adventures, burbing wenches, the relationship between a eunach and a girl, stories about mentally handicapped people crushing beatles and all the other crap filler these writers invent off the tops of their heads. GRRM is a good solid writer, nobody is saying he is Shakespeare, but he is good at what he does, and is good with his characters. So why all the unecessary changing things?

So many characters on the T.V show are so far from their book counterparts in terms of developement, that without prior knowledge of the books, you are literally in another world.

But back to my point; differing opinions aside, how is that a 10/10 best end of the series ever? I genuinely want to know, how people can call that (at best) average episode perfect?

Oh and I haven't even mentioned that whole Bran travesty ... shudder.

Edited by D-A-C

I think you're going to start seeing a lot more of those absolutely fruitless "almost" moments as they struggle to keep tangential characters active in the show narrative and on screen due to the way GRRM wrote the novels and the way D&D are painting themselves into corners adapting it.

Bran almost meeting Jon

Yara almost rescuing Theon

Arya almost meeting up with Sansa

None of those served any purpose other than filling time. and making the preview for the next episode seem like some kind of payoff.

Edited by White Harbors Wrath

As far as im concerned, they still have much content from ASOS to cover next season while entering into the Dorne and Pyke storylines, so as long as WOW comes out within the year, they will not catch up to the books until 4-5 more seasons.

What? Seriously?

Sansa and Bran are done in the books already for the most part. Brienne is pretty damn close.

There's not going to be 4-5 more seasons. For one, you're going to get 8 MAX, so 3 MAYBE 4....and if the show didn't catch up to the books for 3 seasons...just for arguments sake...that would be season 7...

They're going to spend 3 seasons meandering about in Feast and Dance? They'll lose a ton of viewers to that boredom. Then the "last" season if they did 8 would be both of the last novels crammed into one season?

Especially with Jaime going to Dorne...I bet the Riverlands is done. That's a HUGE chunk of Feast blown away.

Edited by White Harbors Wrath

Seriously, reading through these rating of the episodes threads is becoming a real chore.

Let's face it, statistically a great episode should be around 7-9 and an absolutely perfect one ala Blackwater should be 10. Equally even the worst episode should be around 3-4, with probably no episodes deserving a complete 1 because of the strength of the source material.

However, as always, what the hell is with all the 10/10 'yay this is super perfect in everyway!' crowd? If you call that finale a 10/10 your ability to discern good television from average or subpar television is seriously open to question.

You could say 'well, each to their own' and although you wouldn't be wrong, I just feel I have to say to those people who think this is perfect ... really?

How is that episode perfect and without a single flaw? Not a single one? Please enlighten me because I actually want to know?

What I saw instead was a T.V show that has completely forgotten the source material on which its based. Just to remphasise, all the writers have to do is take a solid existing story and translate it reasonably faithfully onto screen ... that's it.

Instead they feel they have to constantly change things that don't need changing. For example:

1. How ... the .. fuck ... did the Hound and Arya just show up at the Vale and then just leave? Didn't LF hear about it? How about Sansa? How about anyone?

2. Brienne vs The Hound ... yeah that's awesome, its also good to know that, all in, the episode spent more time on that whole sequence that the Mountain vs Red Viper. So an event that never should have taken place gets preferential treatment for one of the absolute key moments in the entire series.

3. We get it, people like Tyrion, I personally never have liked him as a character (love his POV's though) but why can't he possibly ever have even the slightest shade of grey in the T.V show. Shae of course would have to straight up stab him, I mean thats completely in line with her character, and everything that has preceded with her developement since season two ... oh wait, no it wasn't.

4. The writers haven't a fucking clue about Stannis, or how to work with his storyline.

5. The writers of the T.V show consistently miss the cool little things in the books and exchange them for Podricks magic penis adventures, burbing wenches, the relationship between a eunach and a girl, stories about mentally handicapped people crushing beatles and all the other crap filler these writers invent off the tops of their heads. GRRM is a good solid writer, nobody is saying he is Shakespeare, but he is good at what he does, and is good with his characters. So why all the unecessary changing things?

So many characters on the T.V show are so far from their book counterparts in terms of developement, that without prior knowledge of the books, you are literally in another world.

But back to my point; differing opinions aside, how is that a 10/10 best end of the series ever? I genuinely want to know, how people can call that (at best) average episode perfect?

I disliked last week's ep but liked this one. I LOVED Stannis moment - it played out differently than I imagined but it was amazing. The entire episode was very well paced, well acted and consistent. It was not without a flaw - CotF and BR were disappointing, LS omission was a mistake and lack of mentions about Tysha just puzzling but it had plenty of scenes that raised it above these flaws - Stannis, 2 funerals, chaining of dragons, Brienne....I gave it 9,7 placing it with Kissed by Fire but below Blackwater and Rains of Castamere.

Edited by sati

46 people rated this episode of television a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. The hyperbole has grown to monstrous levels at this point. This is so far outside the scope of objective reasoning the word pathetic doesn't even begin to describe it. I would highly implore anyone that dislikes this show much that they consider it some of the worst television that they have ever seen to please stop watching.

I do not take issue with finding fault in the show. I find a considerable amount of fault myself, but to constantly trash the show in what is generally no better than youtube rants is more than a little disheartening to read.

Edited by ¡Hola lionel messi

Maybe not all of us thinks that Blackwater is the be all, end all of filmmaking in GoT so you're starting off with a flawed premised.

Just a thought.

Edited by sj4iy

46 people rated this episode of television a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. The hyperbole has grown to monstrous levels at this point. This is so far outside the scope of objective reasoning the word pathetic doesn't even begin to describe it. I would highly implore anyone that dislikes this show much that they consider it some of the worst television that they have ever seen to please stop watching.

I do not take issue with finding fault in the show. I find a considerable amount of fault myself, but to constantly trash the show in what is generally no better than youtube rants is more than a little disheartening to read.

So stop reading them?

Please also enlighten us on your opinion of those who rate the show a 10 when it clearly was not absolutely flawless and perfect.

At the very least, if you enjoyed everything...but didn't feel the scenes were rushed due to trying to cram 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag you're lying to yourself. The very highest rating this episode should have received is a 9. As good as it was, it was not flawless.

Why do people get worked up about seeing a 1, but not a 10? it's only peoples opinions.

What is the most pathetic thing here is being disheartened by someone else's opinion of the show you say you like. If the show is as good as you think, why is your love for it so fragile? Where's the confidence in the stuff you like? I really dislike the show very much, but if I loved it, my opinion would never be disturbed or shaken by the ratings that 46 watchers gave to it. I adore the books, on the other hand, and on book sites like goodreads.com there are always people who heavily criticize ASOIAF and call it pure rubbish, but my love and respect for the books is never disturbed nor shaken by that.

Edited by Miodrag

Maybe not all of us thinks that Blackwater is the be all, end all of filmmaking in GoT so you're starting off with a flawed premised.

Just a thought.

Your so deep and philosophical. You really made me think by challenging my 'flawed premise', undercutting my entire argument in two words.

I also love how you ambiguously commited to not having an opinion of your own, because of course, that risks being proven wrong, and we wouldn't want that now would we? You wouldn't be able to sound deep and thoughtful if there is a chance you could be proven otherwise.

Just a thought.

Hell, while I'm giving away thoughts, how about another? Why don't you tell me your opinion of the No.1 GoT episode. I put mine out there and suggested its Blackwater, so maybe now you'll offer a proper counterpoint and suggest something different? Maybe even point out what's wrong with Blackwater aswell.

Just another thought.

Please also enlighten us on your opinion of those who rate the show a 10 when it clearly was not absolutely flawless and perfect.

At the very least, if you enjoyed everything...but didn't feel the scenes were rushed due to trying to cram 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag you're lying to yourself. The very highest rating this episode should have received is a 9. As good as it was, it was not flawless.

Why do people get worked up about seeing a 1, but not a 10? it's only peoples opinions.

I voted it an 8. Really didn't like the Ray Harryhausen skeletons and felt a few scenes weren't done as well as they could have been. That said though, those book fundamentalists who are rating it a 1 should be made to sit down and watch a series of Merlin. GoT is absolutely fucking brilliant and has generally stayed very close to the books. Still, you can't please all the people all the time. Rating it as a 1 says far more about the rater than it does the show. Some people are just spoilt brats.

Do you see a problem with your post? It's all subjective. But thinking your opinion Is the only one that is right/that matters is the problem here. I disliked ep.9 but I didn't spend time running around the boards asking people why they rate it 10 and telling them they are lying to themselves.

I voted it an 8. Really didn't like the Ray Harryhausen skeletons and felt a few scenes weren't done as well as they could have been. That said though, those book fundamentalists who are rating it a 1 should be made to sit down and watch a series of Merlin. GoT is absolutely fucking brilliant and has generally stayed very close to the books. Still, you can't please all the people all the time. Rating it as a 1 says far more about the rater than it does the show. Some people are just spoilt brats.

Is Merlin based on a highly acclaimed series of books, that all the television producers/writers have to do is successfully translate into a different medium? But who instead constantly make unnecessary changes that significantly alter the tone, emotion and developement of the characters? Who add storylines and subplots that go nowhere and achieve nothing? Whose changes are basically almost entirely inferior, with a notable exception of Arya becoming Tywin's cupbearer and even that is probably just down to the actors involved skills.

Edited by D-A-C

Is Merlin based on a highly acclaimed series of books, that all the television producers/writers have to do is successfully translate into a different medium? But who instead constantly make unnecessary changes that significantly alter the tone, emotion and developement of the characters? Who add storylines and subplots that go nowhere and achieve nothing? Whose changes are basically almost entirely inferior, with a notable exception of Arya becoming Tywin's cupbearer and even that is probably just down to the actors involved skills.

Then don't watch it. It's an adaptation. A superb adaptation most of the time but it's never going to perfectly replicate the books. 'All' they have to do is film the books is an idiotic statement to make. TV and literature are two completely different mediums. Bottom line though, if you want to preserve the purity of the books in your imagination then stop watching the show.

Your so deep and philosophical. You really made me think by challenging my 'flawed premise', undercutting my entire argument in two words.

I also love how you ambiguously commited to not having an opinion of your own, because of course, that risks being proven wrong, and we wouldn't want that now would we? You wouldn't be able to sound deep and thoughtful if there is a chance you could be proven otherwise.

Just a thought.

Hell, while I'm giving away thoughts, how about another? Why don't you tell me your opinion of the No.1 GoT episode. I put mine out there and suggested its Blackwater, so maybe now you'll offer a proper counterpoint and suggest something different? Maybe even point out what's wrong with Blackwater aswell.

Just another thought.

Oh yes, not agreeing with you is a "philosophy".

I liked other episodes better than BW, and I've seen others state the same. Not all of us are fans of watching everyone sitting around and talking about dying and being raped for most of the episode. It was interesting the first time, but doesn't make for a great rewatch. It's still a good episode, I just have other preferences.

Personally, I like "Winter is Coming", "Baelor", "Watchers on the Wall" and "Rains of Castamere" better.

Do you see a problem with your post? It's all subjective. But thinking your opinion Is the only one that is right/that matters is the problem here. I disliked ep.9 but I didn't spend time running around the boards asking people why they rate it 10 and telling them they are lying to themselves.

I'm not running around anywhere, just bored with seeing people bitch about 1 ratings when plenty of people give things 10. If 1 is irrational than so is 10. If it's clearly not the worst episode of TV ever, it's also clearly not the best. If someone though that was perfect, they're lying to themselves, delusional or have very low standards. I loved the episode, it wasn't a 10.