How would you rate episode 410?

Ran

How would you rate episode 410?  

1,081 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I like the series but am often disappointed in it. This episdoe only rated a 5 in my opinion.

As I said previously I hated to see the Hound be killed off. He could be a terrible person like when he murdered the family that helped them. But he could also do surprisingly good things. To me he always reminded me of a big bear with a thorn in a paw, always grumpy.

Shae's death was deserved but I was disappointed that they had her turn bad and testify at the trial without showing any good reason for her to do it. (Did I miss something?/ Did the book explain why?)

Sansa was another one that changed from a sweet meek thing into a brazen lying female. I'd rather see what caused her to change so much. Give me a little character development at least so the changes make sense....

The young boy with the fireballs seemed totally out of place for this series.

I know this will get a lot of hate from the board but I am not a fan of Arya. The character just leaves me empty and I could care less if she lived or died.

TV-Shae and book-Shae are very different. You're right to question Shae's motivations for her actions because TV-Shae seemed to genuinely care about Tyrion and Sansa. Book-Shae never did really care; she was an opportunist living as resplendent a life as she could get. Tyrion is fooled in the book by the fact that an extremely beautiful woman played perfectly the part of his personal sex kitten. The TV Tyrion-Shae relationship was portrayed as genuine up until he emotionally sends her away to save her. Then she suddenly turns, inexplicably in my opinion, into the one-dimensional lover scorned trope.

Sansa's change is perhaps too sudden but her arc allows for it. Her lengthy experience of being a piece in the King's Landing Game allied with Littlefinger's lessons in playing the game are supposed to be rubbing off on her.

The "young boy" was meant to be one of the Children Of The Forest, who were said to have died out long ago. Bran used to love Old Nan's stories about them, which made his indifference to the fact that one had just saved them quite disappointing. In the book they're not meant to look like human children. Not sure where the idea of fireballs came from.

As to Arya, her arc is filled with tragedy and horror which are quickly desensitising her. She is a wonderful character that life's injustices are turning into a vengeance driven automaton. The interesting thing will be how she comes back from that, but also how much vengeance she takes beforehand.

Edited by Dolorous Gabe

One of my Unsullied friends is absolutely raving about it, saying it was the best episode so far. The only people I know really disappointed by it were book readers like myself.

Personally, I did love it, so much going on, and I give my ratings as a comparison to other TV shows, it's still outstanding - really top of the field. I gave this episode a 9, only marking it down from my two little gripes, one as a viewer, one as a book reader, both involving Tyrion:

• The way they cut to him, it just seemed so sudden, it was day time one moment with an epic amazing non cannon scene which I loved, then we're with Tyrion for the first time in the episode and Jamie who'd been shagging his sister just earlier is freeing him - just didn't seem to flow to me. Also not really clear how he knew where to go (or why but more on that...)
  • The conversation with Tyrion and Jamie, I loved that in the books and felt it really defined them both going forward (and inspired the death of Tywin more than Shea being there did). One plus is the fact that it seems D&D will have cut the whole "where do whores go" annoyance.

I was disappointed that we didn't see LS, I'd been predicting that it'd be the last scene for a long time, but in the end thought what they did worked for TV purposes, and giving Maisie the last scene is never a bad thing...

As alluded to Brienne and the Hound stole the show but also loved the look on Varys' face when the bells were ringing as well.

Now just will they hurry up and finish season 5 or release WoW, I don't care which, I just need more!

I went for a six. That might seem harsh but I think I'm just a harsher marker than the 213 of you who gave it a ten. In my opinion it's impossible for anything to be 10/10, as this suggests that there is not one thing wrong with it from script to VFX to acting to sound editing to everything else. For a book to be 10/10 there would have to be not one clumsy metaphor, not one spare word... An album would have to be as good as the best song ever for ten to fourteen songs. This is unreasonable.

Six, for me, would be good, seven very good, and eight is a classic. Nine is a masterpiece. Five would be average (as it's the middle point of a nine-point scale, if I'm ruling out 10).

I gave it a 7. I was anticipating the LSH moment so bad this season! and am I the only one who did not like this whole brienne and the hound thingy?! I mean They make it look like finding the girls is such an easy task. I was also waiting for tyrion to tell jaime about cersei and all the men she slept with, because this changes jaime a lot.

Anyways this whole season was a meh to me really. This season is all about the Trail and they made up a lot of stuff to fill in those episodes until the viper and the mountain fight. I still cant forget that horrible beetle story scene. :bs:

Edited by Alex7s

Couldn't agree more. I read the entire series before the show was even on and I love the show. Think about it this was way people: You are getting two stories for the price of one.

When the next book comes out, you'll be able to enjoy it as it is. For now you're getting to watch a seperate yet similar story. That's how I view it and it works for me. . .

That's how I see it. More fun. If they skip a favorite part I go back and read it.

. waiting for Tyrion to tell jaime about cersei and all the men she slept with, because this changes jaime a lot.

]

Since they never had her sleeping with other men and two of the three aren't even in the show that would have been a giant continuity flaw. One hopes Jaime will find out how crazy she is some other way & break up.

Since they never had her sleeping with other men and two of the three aren't even in the show that would have been a giant continuity flaw. One hopes Jaime will find out how crazy she is some other way & break up.

She was sleeping with Lancel in Season 2

One of my Unsullied friends is absolutely raving about it, saying it was the best episode so far. The only people I know really disappointed by it were book readers like myself.

Personally, I did love it, so much going on, and I give my ratings as a comparison to other TV shows, it's still outstanding - really top of the field. I gave this episode a 9, only marking it down from my two little gripes, one as a viewer, one as a book reader, both involving Tyrion:

• The way they cut to him, it just seemed so sudden, it was day time one moment with an epic amazing non cannon scene which I loved, then we're with Tyrion for the first time in the episode and Jamie who'd been shagging his sister just earlier is freeing him - just didn't seem to flow to me. Also not really clear how he knew where to go (or why but more on that...)

• The conversation with Tyrion and Jamie, I loved that in the books and felt it really defined them both going forward (and inspired the death of Tywin more than Shea being there did). One plus is the fact that it seems D&D will have cut the whole "where do whores go" annoyance.

I was disappointed that we didn't see LS, I'd been predicting that it'd be the last scene for a long time, but in the end thought what they did worked for TV purposes, and giving Maisie the last scene is never a bad thing...

As alluded to Brienne and the Hound stole the show but also loved the look on Varys' face when the bells were ringing as well.

Now just will they hurry up and finish season 5 or release WoW, I don't care which, I just need more!

Dude, that part to me felt like a subtle piece of awesomeness by D&D. The way I interpreted it was that Jaime felt liberated from the clutches of Tywin due to Cersei telling him that now they have the upper hand. This gave him motivation to come free Tyrion.

But yeah, I agree that the scene itself was kind of too quick.

A lot of loose ends were tied up in this episode, i rate it quite highly due to that, but it should of shown more prelude to some future events being left unresolved at the end of it, more than Tyrion in a box with Varys... Perhaps someone discovering Tywin's body, the reaction of Jaime or Cersei would of been interesting, also Lady Stoneheart :D but the rest of it was very good.

A lot of loose ends were tied up in this episode, i rate it quite highly due to that, but it should of shown more prelude to some future events being left unresolved at the end of it, more than Tyrion in a box with Varys... Perhaps someone discovering Tywin's body, the reaction of Jaime or Cersei would of been interesting, also Lady Stoneheart :D but the rest of it was very good.

They did show that Tywin was discovered -- that's why they were ringing the bells...hearing those bells is what made Varys decide to take the ship to "Out Of Dodge" with Tyrion.

And after this season's Dreadfort fiasco, I'm ok with them not promising future events that they can't (or won't) deliver.

Excellent episode! The last scene with Arya leaving Westeros was amazing, with that soundtrack...

I'm sad that so many of you can't enjoy such a good show, just because there are changes from the book... If you don't want changes, don't watch an ADAPTATION. The word speaks for itself, right?

Edited by The Eunuch

NO TYSHA!!!!!!!! This is just beyond words and shows the writers have no respect for its audience , thinking they wont remember her cause of their "short attention spans" surprised there was not a naked female in the scene with Jaime and Tyrion , I am so done with this show.

No , it shows they don't want Tyrion wandering around asking everyone where whores go. It's part of tightening the story. Yes it will change the story, but the upside is just too great.

Excellent episode! The last scene with Arya leaving Westeros was amazing, with that soundtrack...

I'm sad that so many of you can't enjoy such a good show, just because there are changes from the book... If you don't want changes, don't watch an ADAPTATION. The word speaks for itself, right?

So, we all have to praise the show and can't critique it at all? Even for omitting things/adding new scenes to the point where certain scenes make no sense or are illogical?

No , it shows they don't want Tyrion wandering around asking everyone where whores go. It's part of tightening the story. Yes it will change the story, but the upside is just too great.

God, I hope we never hear that phrase (although I'm sure we'll hear it at least once). I got so, SO sick of it in the books- I don't care if it was a coping mechanism. It was still annoying as hell.

So, we all have to praise the show and can't critique it at all? Even for omitting things/adding new scenes to the point where certain scenes make no sense or are illogical?

Critique it for what it is, not what it isn't. If the basis of your critique is how close does it stay to the books, then your critique is flawed from the start.

Edited by Frey Pentos

Critique it for what it is, not what it isn't. If the basis of your critique is how close does it stay to the books, then your critique is flawed from the start.

Even if the omissions make parts of the show seem illogical?

When they adapted Harry Potter, they still had Voldemort attempt to kill Harry for the same reason as in the books and did not make it just because he is a villain. Nor did they make

Spoiler
dumbledore plead for his life when snape killed him

They cut certain things, but stayed true to the original source as good as they could and did not change stuff to be more original or because they thought it would be cool.

Even if the omissions make parts of the show seem illogical?

Yes, the show should always be critiqued on its own merits. Not on what it did or didn't have from the books.

If something seems illogical in the show, then it should be based on what happened in the show, not on what happened in the books.

Edited by sj4iy

Yes, the show should always be critiqued on its own merits. Not on the merits of how closely it followed the book.

If something seems illogical in the show, then it should be based on what happened in the show, not on what happened in the books.

Would you also say that about M. Night's The Last Airbender?

I mean as I said somewhere, if they completely would throw overboard all plot points and create an alternate universe from now, I would be okay with it. But as adaptation it has failed this season. And we book readers review it as adaptation. And thus we should give it the low score. If we were Unsullied, it would be a decent season. Still a lame and underwhelming Finale for a season, but overall a decent season. But as an adaptation it has failed this season.