How would you rate episode 410?

Ran

How would you rate episode 410?  

1,081 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

wait...now Gwyneth Paltrow playing a woman playing a man....

and Darren Kent(think that is the bloke) playing a man...a poor man with a hunger ridden face...looks like a woman because Gwyneth Paltrow looked like him when she played a man?

Isn't that then the other way round? That Gwyneth looks like a man..when she plays a man..because she looked like a man (Kent) when he played a...man ?

I am confused right now.

I was using Gwyneth Paltrow (a woman playing a man) to illustrate what I thought I saw in the scene -- a male character that was being played by a female. That the actor really is a male is irrelevant to what it *looked like* to me. Basically, the character just "didn't look right" to me and that's the best way i can describe it.

If it's less confusing, you can think of it as a combination of the character looking a bit too feminine and the beard looking fake in the scene (or at least when the character first comes on camera).

Sorry for not recognizing the difference between looking feminine and looking like a female.

And your problem with the writing, so far as I understand it, was that nobody in the room assumed he was there for goat money. He had the bones in his arms; they were even wrapped in a cloth like a baby. He was also crying as he spoke. Would you assume he was holding a goat?

In any case, this is nitpicking at its finest. Who cares whether or not anybody assumed they were goat's bones, beyond it being a deviation from the novels? How does that hurt the scene in any way? If you're this diligent in looking for flaws, almost any scene will fall apart.

The difference is between "looking feminine" and *being*, not *looking like*, a female. I didn't think I saw a feminine man, I thought I saw an actual female.

And I'm not nitpicking when I say that the show scene did not have the same impact on me as the book scene -- it's just a fact. I'm not looking for (as in hoping to find) flaws, but I won't pretend they don't exist when I see them. In fact, part of my disappointment with *this* scene was because of how good of a job the show did setting the stage in an earlier episode (when Dany hears the first complaints about her dragons eating goats). So when the show failed to capitalize on that setup, I was disappointed.

I was using Gwyneth Paltrow (a woman playing a man) to illustrate what I thought I saw in the scene -- a male character that was being played by a female. That the actor really is a male is irrelevant to what it *looked like* to me. Basically, the character just "didn't look right" to me and that's the best way i can describe it.

If it's less confusing, you can think of it as a combination of the character looking a bit too feminine and the beard looking fake in the scene (or at least when the character first comes on camera).

Don't take it personal, I was just having a little joke on you.

That guy has....an uncommon look, you are completely right.

And an annoying voice. Horrible choice for the role. Why not take the same farmer and actor we saw before..

The difference is between "looking feminine" and *being*, not *looking like*, a female. I didn't think I saw a feminine man, I thought I saw an actual female.

And I'm not nitpicking when I say that the show scene did not have the same impact on me as the book scene -- it's just a fact. I'm not looking for (as in hoping to find) flaws, but I won't pretend they don't exist when I see them. In fact, part of my disappointment with *this* scene was because of how good of a job the show did setting the stage in an earlier episode (when Dany hears the first complaints about her dragons eating goats). So when the show failed to capitalize on that setup, I was disappointed.

You were wrong. The actor is male. He was not disguised as female. Therefore by definition he looks male. Your sample set is expanded.

It's an opinion. It's a fact that it's your opinion.

The show did set up goat-reparations. They aren't needlessly repetitive with setups TG IMHO.

extras do have lines..

No they don't.

http://www.moviextras.com/articles/what_is_a_movie_extra.php

"What makes movie extras different from actors is, by definition, extras never speak. When a movie extra is given dialogue, even if it's just one word, then the extra becomes an actor."

The Fermat spiral that Dany body surfs are extras.

Edited by rmholt

Don't take it personal, I was just having a little joke on you.

That guy has....an uncommon look, you are completely right.

And an annoying voice. Horrible choice for the role. Why not take the same farmer and actor we saw before..

He markets his uncommon look. Maybe that's one reason they picked him. Maybe it wasn't a factor. Whatever, he pwned that scene. Can you speak low Valyrian and not sound annoying? Anyway that's your opinion. I thought he was a fantastic fit for that scene - here's a poor grief stricken apparently starving guy wanting to talk to the queen because his beloved daughter has been killed by the dragon and he wants her to know this. He isn't angry as much as sad and shocked and wanting to tell the queen with such urgency - otherwise he would never approach her.

I can't even imagine why they would use the same goatherd.

Edited by rmholt

He markets his uncommon look. Maybe that's one reason they picked him. Maybe it wasn't a factor. Whatever, he pwned that scene. Can you speak low Valyrian and not sound annoying? Anyway that's your opinion. I thought he was a fantastic fit for that scene - here's a poor grief stricken apparently starving guy wanting to talk to the queen because his beloved daughter has been killed by the dragon and he wants her to know this. He isn't angry as much as sad and shocked and wanting to tell the queen with such urgency - otherwise he would never approach her.

I can't even imagine why they would use the same goatherd.

fixed that.

per show logic..or at least what book readers make of that, they should have used the guy the unsullied already knew, to not confuse the audience.

Err..yeah would have been better if it was the same guy, to make Dany even more believe it was her dragon, as he already attacked him.

But seriously, the extra is a guy that reminds one instantly of the Mummy's helper guy.

Same face, same voice. Annoying. He looks funny, not miserable.

But that is the show. They cast fantastic guys with fantastic make up, like the tutor guy who looked so fitting, and then they cast this other guy.

If you can't even get it through your head he isn't an extra you aren't serious enough to talk to

he is.

He is not a supporting actor or real actor. He is an extra. That is fine, cope with it.

What would you call the lady from the bus in Forrest Gump? Main Cast?

Those are extras. Maybe better ones and with privileges, but still extras.

he is.

He is not a supporting actor or real actor. He is an extra. That is fine, cope with it.

No, he's not.

He's an actor. He has a speaking role, therefore, he is an actor. Extras do not have lines.

"A background actor or extra is a performer in a film, television show, stage, musical, opera or ballet production, who appears in a nonspeaking, nonsinging or nondancing capacity, usually in the background (for example, in an audience or busy street scene)."

He had a speaking role. An important one, too. It might have been short, but it was a speaking role, nevertheless.

He is not an extra by any definition.

Edited by sj4iy

No, he's not.

He had a speaking role. An important one, too. It might have been short, but it was a speaking role, nevertheless.

He is not an extra by any definition.

ha ha

name it then. Come on! Bring it on. If he is not an extra, what is he then? Name it please.

ha ha

name it then. Come on! Bring it on. If he is not an extra, what is he then? Name it please.

An actor.

I'm not getting why there's a problem with this distinction.

Actors have lines. Extras do not. That's pretty much the long and the short of it.

I was an extra in a commercial. I had no lines, I just had to stand in the background and pretend to be happy. My friend was an actor in the commercial because he had lines.

Simple as that. And it IS an important distinction because actors get paid more than extras.

Edited by sj4iy

he is.

I gave you a definition but you know better. Extras don't audition, they don't have characters or lines. You know nothing. Goodbye.

fixed that.

per show logic..or at least what book readers make of that, they should have used the guy the unsullied already knew, to not confuse the audience.

Err..yeah would have been better if it was the same guy, to make Dany even more believe it was her dragon, as he already attacked him.

But seriously, the extra is a guy that reminds one instantly of the Mummy's helper guy.

Same face, same voice. Annoying. He looks funny, not miserable.

But that is the show. They cast fantastic guys with fantastic make up, like the tutor guy who looked so fitting, and then they cast this other guy.

I dare you to find any watcher of any breed who was confused by that scene.

he is.

He's an actor. He would have earned far more for that scene than any extra on any movie. He had lines. He had to act. The unsullied standing guard in the throne room are extras. They don't speak. They don't act. They don't get paid as much.

I can tell a man from a woman, a useful skill

One man is not all men. I've never been wrong when it mattered.

But I am curious why you seem to be taking this so personally. I haven't acted like anybody is wrong for liking the actor's performance, so it's kind of creepy to have somebody come at me with a raging hard-on just because I didn't.

One man is not all men. I've never been wrong when it mattered.

But I am curious why you seem to be taking this so personally. I haven't acted like anybody is wrong for liking the actor's performance, so it's kind of creepy to have somebody come at me with a raging hard-on just because I didn't.

It's like you know me better than I know myself. So I guess you are best qualified to address that creepy thought.

I see no need to repeat my opinion of the performance or his appearance. He seems like a good actor and a nice person. If he's reading this I hope he's just laughing at the disdain of him and his work.

It's like you know me better than I know myself. So I guess you are best qualified to address that creepy thought.

I see no need to repeat my opinion of the performance or his appearance. He seems like a good actor and a nice person. If he's reading this I hope he's just laughing at the disdain of him and his work.

Not sure what you mean by a "creepy thought" -- you're coming across as very hostile and aggressive towards anybody who doesn't toe your party line, and I'm just calling you on it.

And just to be clear, I've never seen the Darren Kent in anything else (of which I'm aware), and I didn't say I thought he was a bad actor, I just disliked his performance in this particular role. Just like while I don't dislike Michael Huisman as an actor, I think he makes a horrible Daario.

As to his looks, I said they put me off, and I explained why -- I wasn't trying to persuade anybody to agree with me and I don't care if everybody else disagrees with me, I just don't want people trying to "prove" that my subjective reaction was objectively "wrong". I saw what I saw, and while discussions now may affect my current outlook, they can't change what I already experienced (you only get one chance to make a first impression).

As to "disdain", I'm not the person calling Kent a glorified extra. Kent's own site promotes him as having a "unique look", so I'd hope that he realizes that that isn't always a plus. I'd also hope that people realize that makeup, wardrobe, lighting, and camera angle make large contributions to how a character is seen in a movie, and that I've gone to a lot of trouble in my posts to focus on the character (as presented by the show), and not the actor personally.

If he is reading this, I'd hope he wouldn't laugh at people giving their honest opinion, or think that not liking a specific performance is "disdain".

Edited by ground_control