How would you rate episode 410?

Ran

How would you rate episode 410?  

1,081 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

LOL, people need to realize there are going to be changes from the book, stop rating a show based on that. It was a great episode. Imagine if you didn't read the book how amazed would you be right now

It's hilarious how these folks rate the show so very low and then watch it week after week.

Plus, the actual TV critics don't seem to have the same complaints.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/game-of-thrones/ Scroll down for complete reviews for each episode.

The negative reactions are comical. Save the low, low ratings for bad amateur work, check 'your' biases, and remember hyperbole doesn't pass as real commentary and/or intelligent criticism.

I'm generally quite forgiving of the show, but I was pretty underwhelmed this episode. I watched with an unsullied friend and we both alternated from "oh, that was good" to "meh". The scene I was most excited for (privy) was decent, but nowhere near the level of that chapter. I was hoping it would be up there with "Kissed by Fire" on reclaiming some powerful moments. Nope.

Agreed. I know GRRM has a massive number of characters and you can't possibly fit every story line or characters into the show but the show seems to add alot of pointless bullshit that makes it difficult for them to cover important story lines later on.

I just don't get what they are doing with the show. I look at some of the scenes they added in season 1 like the Jaime/Tywin scene which was excellent and brought some much needed attention to both characters but I don't understand why the creators keep adding characters (Ros) and scenes to the show that add nothing at all.

I think this completely sums up my feelings about the changes they make on the show. Scenes that add something of value (e.g., backstory or a better understanding of a character) are great additions because they're relevant to the plot and characters. The deviations that exist simply because are incredibly frustrating to me because it just leaves them with less time to properly deal with the bigger plot points.

I love the books and enjoy the show. I just wish the showrunners would reign themselves in with some stuff and focus more on adapting the story from the books instead of just making up shit that hasn't been thought through.

I think the fact that on the poll 64% percent of the people rated it 8 or higher yet the majority of people in this thread gave it 5,6,4,3, shows that indeed the minority of haters are always the most vocal part of any community.

I am a huge book purist and I loved the episode. I'm not really a fan of the producers but I must recognize they did an amazing job wrapping this finale up. Probably the best episode of the season or on pair with The Lion and the Rose or Mockingbird. 9/10

Edited by Roose Trollton.

I gave it a 9. With all the plot setups/resolutions available, it was hard not to get a good score, but still there were some really well-done scenes, like the Jon-Mance talks and Stannis resolution; the look on Cersei's face when she told Tywin the truth; the Hound/Arya farewell.

But even with so much excellent TV in that episode, I'm feeling more disappointed than anything. The scene I was looking forward to most was given short shrift and what was left over was mostly re-written. I'm talking about Tyrion's escape; it was rushed, and leaving Tysha out just leaves out the signature moment for the Tyrion-Jaime relationship, plus what was going to be motivating Tyrion in the following books. Not to mention that it required the entire Tyrion-Tywin final conversation to be almost entirely rewritten, and this dialogue just didn't have the same zing as what was in that book.

Gave it a 9.

Thought the Arya/Hound goodbye dragged on with her saying nothing for too long, but it was still good. While I'm glad the hope of the Hound surviving still exists, the man just put his life on the line defending Arya. She should have given him the gift of mercy. My unsullied friends were confused a bit that she didn't.

Edited by Rhaegar I Targaryen

@ The People who voted it as a 1 lmao

That's fine you feel that way, but in no way did the episode warrant a "1" - just because it didn't conform to your standards of how the show should run.

The cinematography and soundtrack elements give it a solid 4-5 alone.

Stay bitter though, you'll be back for the next season anyway :cool4:

I think this completely sums up my feelings about the changes they make on the show. Scenes that add something of value (e.g., backstory or a better understanding of a character) are great additions because they're relevant to the plot and characters. The deviations that exist simply because are incredibly frustrating to me because it just leaves them with less time to properly deal with the bigger plot points.

I love the books and enjoy the show. I just wish the showrunners would reign themselves in with some stuff and focus more on adapting the story from the books instead of just making up shit that hasn't been thought through.

Sometimes I look at what they added as a possible future spoiler and/or sign of things to come since D&D know the ending and the directions the characters are heading.

Cinematography and soundtrack don't make up for poor storytelling and bad book-to-screen adaption.

@Jon Black, while I do look for certain changes for spoilers (Sansa in the Vale, Melisandre and Arya's convo after the Gendrynapping [which by the way, I thought was a brilliant idea]]) I don't think that guarantees spoilers because they do have the power to deviate from the book's ending too, which I'd prefer now. It'd give an author the chance to have different endings (i.e. have his cake and eat it too) and it'd lessen the fact that it's been an overall poor adaption of the source material.

6) Tyrion whitewashing. WTF? Shae's murder was almost self defense!! Where's our beloved Dark Tyrion?! Apparently the show decided people would stop watching if they portrayed morally ambiguous (as in, interesting) characters. Well, now I'm stopping watching (Nah, actually, I'm not, cause I'm weak, but I should).

Sometimes I look at what they added as a possible future spoiler and/or sign of things to come since D&D know the ending and the directions the characters are heading.

I think it's more likely that they're simply changing things because they can. Many of the changes they've made actually contradict large plot points or the internal logic of the story in the books. So I don't think their changes have anything to do with the endgame. In fact, they've often introduced a major change and then had to course correct by introducing another change to get things back on track. I simply don't think they think all of their changes through.

Well....*sigh* There was a lot of good in this episode. I espcially loved the scenes with Jon and Mance Ryder. The arrival of Stannis and Davos was epic too. I loved the scene with Brieanne and the Hound. Seeing Bran finally reach the tree was great, but I think that could have waited until next season. It took time away from Tyrion. The scene with Tyrion - Oh my, they changed it so much from the books. Sure it was good to see Tyrion and Jaime departing on good terms but, seriously, no mention of Tysha? No having Tyrion shoot back to Jaime about Cersei and all the men she has bedded? I would have liked to see Tyrion's epic last moments in King's Landing be more flushed out and more true to the books. For that is an part of this wonderful story that had so much meaning and was a game-changer for the Lannisters. Oh and where in the Seven Bloody Hells was Lady Stoneheart???!

All in all I give this episode an 8.

Edited by Missandei2

8. I think I was very expecting to see LS so I were bit dissapointed. Wasn't bad episode at all. But...

- No Tysha

- Stannis, Stannis, STANNIS!

- LS

- Those fireballs...

I'll rewatch the episode. I ruined it for me first time because I expected and waited too much.

Lord Stoneheart,

The second and third season finales both are sharply down from the episode that preceed them, so I think the general sense of the voters on the forum (as a group) was a sense of being let down.

Possibly. Maybe a mix of both. And it's not just season finales, I guess, a lot of the episodes have just too much going on in such a short amount of time. I do agree that last week Stannis would've been a bad idea, but had they structured the season a bit different, this finale might not have needed to be 66 minutes. It just feels... bloated. I mean, I love eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but not all in the space of one meal. :)

I'm not even sure what to rate this episode. So disappointed. No LSH? Missed opportunity for a big shocker ending. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to cut her out of the story entirely.

But more importantly, I'm so disappointed at them skipping the Tysha story! It totally changes the way Jaime and Tyrion part, it's such an important part of Tyrion's story arc, and it's the entire reason Tyrion goes after Tywin. Instead, he killed him for... wanting Tyrion to die? Sleeping with Shae? Why does the word "whore" even trigger Tyrion to shoot Tywin? Because of Shae? The Tysha story is so much more powerful! Ugh!

The rest of the episode was pretty good. I liked the music at the end.

Edited by Dragonglass Order

Would have been a 10 for me except for two things.

1.) I was SO sure last week that they wouldn't have giants riding mammoths... Then BOOM! Giants! Riding mammoths!!! Likewise I was SO sure that they wouldn't have Coldhands... Then during the wight scene with Bran... I was literally holding my breath... I was literally on the edge of my seat... Then BOOM! ...No Coldhands. -1 for the false hope.

2.) I was SO sure they WOULD have Lady SH... Man, I just can't predict this show! -1

But on the plus side...

3.) Stannis' arrival was epic!!! +1

4.) Jon's farewell to Ygritte was so sad. +1

5.) Hound farewell was great. +1 :fencing:

6.) No Gilly +1

7.) Tyrion... +2

8.) One eyed Raven +2

Wow. What a way to end a season and leave you drooling for next year :drool:

Edited by Bastard of the Dreadfort

Would have been a 10 for me except for two things.

1.) I was SO sure last week that they wouldn't have giants riding mammoths... Then BOOM! Giants! Riding mammoths!!! Likewise I was SO sure that they wouldn't have Coldhands... Then during the wight scene with Bran... I was literally holding my breath... I was literally on the edge of my seat... Then BOOM! ...No Coldhands. -1 for the false hope.

2.) I was SO sure they WOULD have Lady SH... Man, I just can't predict this show! -1

But on the plus side...

3.) Stannis' arrival was epic!!! +1

4.) Jon's farewell to Ygritte was so sad. +1

5.) Hound farewell was great. +1 :fencing:

6.) No Gilly +1

7.) Tyrion... +2

8.) One eyed Raven +2

Wow. What a way to end a season and leave you drooling for next year :drool:

Same here. I was like, he's gonna appear any second now and start whoopin' some wight ass.

But no. We got fireballs instead.

So, firstly I am in the camp who thinks the lack of LSH is a missed opportunity for a massive series cliffhanger - but I did not think it would happen after Ep 9 was cut so short. I also am not going to rate the episode one way or another based on that issue. On to this 65 minute episode (65 min 17 seconds from HBO static to end credits included)

Jon/Mance/Stannis

Really liked it, but have a few nitpicks. The music cue at the arrival of Stannis was a disappointment. Jon lieing about what Ned would have done is OK with me (Ned would have beheaded Mance for being a NW deserter) - it shows Jon is playing the game. This sequence really should have been in Ep 9 though. It might have been enough to encourage me to score Ep 9 closer to 10 then the 'barely 8' that I gave it.

unGregor

Satisfyingly creepy, mysterious and intriguing. Would have like some screaming, but it still worked.

Tywin/Cersei

Liked the scene... but am concerned about how weak they have made Tywin this season. (referring back to the lame scene with Jaime in Ep1 - standing there and accepting the whims of his children is not the Tywin/Dance they have established in the previous 3 seasons)

Jaime/Cersei

Great! Until they screwed it up with how they ended it. Would have much more sense if he had finally pushed her away as in the books. Refusing to succumb to her sexual manipulation was critical to his character development (newfound attempt to honour the office and the White Book) and a key driver in his actions later in the episode. The shagging just ruined all that.

Dany/The Old Teacher

Great - enjoyed the explanation of the problems caused by her naive actions earlier. I initially thought the scene would have been better served earlier in the season. That opinion changed with the next sequence.

The Sack/The Catacombs

The supplicant was fantastic. He nailed it. I loved the chaining. Easily my favourite Meereen scene this year. The mirroring of that with the recognition that a blanket ban on slavery is unworkable was fantastic. Her 'new world' needs some work.

The Pyres

Great scene. RIP Grenn - He Held The Gate. Also loved the White Harbour reference, and Mel eyeing Jon through the flames.

Jon/Tormund/Ygritte

Again I loved the sequence. Almost made me care about Show Ygritte. Such a lost opportunity.

Team Bran

Yay they made it! Boo - ice skeletons OTT. Yay D+D remembered the direwolves are useful! Boo - Jonen's stabbling was lame (I don't have a problem with his demise at this point - and I loved Book Jojen, but it was clear his usefulness is at an end once they reach the tree. If KotLT is to happen, Meera can still do it). Leaf throwing fireballs? Nope, not a fan. Too OTT. Bloodraven - yeah I liked it but it was a bit unresolved. Whole sequence was too focussed on being one about cool skellies rather than the story imo.

Arya/The Hound/Brienne

Liked most of the meeting, but the actual explanation for the moment that sparked the fight was weak. They did it so much better in the Polliver scene. Fight was a suitable emotional turmoil. The begging for the gift of mercy was fantastic. Episode MVP to the Hound. I actually liked the Hound v Brienne battle because it is a far more interesting turn of events than the quest of Book Brienne (by far the weakest part of the entire story for me). As presented, the sequence was really good but as a piece of storytelling it was a head scratcher. Disappointing resolution to the crappy writing in Ep 8 though. Arya's identity revealed and is the High Born first cousin of the Lord of the Vale but still isn't allowed into The Eyrie? Wat?

Tyrion/Jaime

Bad. On so many levels bad. Firstly overly rushed. Secondly Jaime's actions not in character with the newly sexually manipulated Jaime that has been set up as Show Canon. Thirdly, Tysha. Ugh.

Tyrion/Shae

Did like initially. Would have been better if he had acted first and she pulled the knife to fight him off. Scene went from 'Like' to WTF with the 'I'm sorry' line. I am not sorry for displaying my displeasure and disappointment at this. Its a critical moment in Tyrion's character and a critical moment for the whole story and they dropped the ball. PSA - you don't keep crossbows stored while fully tensioned. It ruins the bow. If you are going to trumpet about the skills of your weapons artisans at least make it believable.

Tyrion/Tywin

OK but was lacking the angst and power of the original. For those saying Tysha wasn't mentioned enough, they had clearly set it up previously with Tyrion's line "I was married before" in an exchange with Tywin. A reasonable set up with Jaime would have made both these scenes far better. At least this one is just a 'neutral' from me instead of clear 'negatives' of the last two.

Tyrion/Varys

Good but just a little lacking. Best moment for me was the final shot... but I suspect I wouldn't have cared as much about Varys had I been unsullied.

Arya

Good, but there are many watchers who think that Arya is sailing to the Wall... so no, the scene is clearly not fantastic.

Summary.

Yeah its OK... but they had so many opportunities to blow the roof off and just missed them... I am torn between a 7 and an 8. I will give it a 7 for now.

I may come back and upgrade it after a rewatch... but if I do so I will also be going back to downgrade earlier episodes. People said "Don't judge the episode by what wasn't in it - the are 'x' episodes to go! They may still do it!" Its the end of the season now and they didn't have Jaime standing up to his father with the 'I don't want your Rock' line. They didn't explain who sent the assassin that started the entire war. They didn't do enough to make anyone care about the story of the Wall or Stannis. They didn't bother to tell a coherent story on many fronts. The step down from Season 3 is really disappointing.

The season was 9 hrs and 8 min long... They padded it with filler and were still unable to really tell a coherent story on a lot of points. I suspect my season score would be about 7 as well.

Edited by Ser Desmond Wine's Bane

what is the point of axing Coldhands in favor of a little girl with fireballs anyway? She is nothing like the children are described in the book, and looked like a little girl with makeup and hokey special effects. Cut the child in that scene, introduce coldhands...

There are other children to work in later...there is only 1 coldhands

Edited by Justin Danford