How would you rate episode 410?

Ran

How would you rate episode 410?  

1,081 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

As far as D&D said at the NYC premiere of GoT, there will be eight seasons. And I agree. At this stage, the show is all over the place, so God knows what may happen. As I said, we can be only certain that Tyrion arc will remain central as long as possible.

A HA HA HAAAA!!!

"And you agree"? Wow! I bet D&D are relieved to hear it! Ha HAAAAAA!! :D

As far as D&D said at the NYC premiere of GoT, there will be eight seasons. And I agree. At this stage, the show is all over the place, so God knows what may happen. As I said, we can be only certain that Tyrion arc will remain central as long as possible.

It's not all over the place. They've repeatedly stated that 7 seasons has been the plan and that it is still the plan. They've never said 8 seasons.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/11/game-of-thrones-7-seasons/

And I don't see how we can be certain of anything they will do- the entire story has changed. Tyrion won't be a big player in the game at Kings Landing anymore- he'll be a fugitive on the run. Suddenly the Wall just became more important to the story. Dorne will be introduced so we may not even get the Riverrun storyline if Jaime is going there. Arya will be in Braavos. It's not even certain what Sansa or Bran will do, as they will need more than what is in the books. We don't even know if Lady Stoneheart will be cut, so Brienne's story could change dramatically.

We know nothing for certain. We can guess, but we don't know what they will do for certain at this point.

It's not all over the place. They've repeatedly stated that 7 seasons has been the plan and that it is still the plan. They've never said 8 seasons.

And I don't see how we can be certain of anything they will do- the entire story has changed. Tyrion won't be a big player in the game at Kings Landing anymore- he'll be a fugitive on the run. Suddenly the Wall just became more important to the story. Dorne will be introduced so we may not even get the Riverrun storyline if Jaime is going there. Arya will be in Braavos. It's not even certain what Sansa or Bran will do, as they will need more than what is in the books. We don't even know if Lady Stoneheart will be cut, so Brienne's story could change dramatically.

We know nothing for certain. We can guess, but we don't know what they will do for certain at this point.

If you didn't read/see it, it doesn't mean it wasn't announced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TBfdd_xNVo

TC 29.39

I'm glad that you said that we don't know anything for certain, because a couple of posts ago you said they will exhaust all 5 books' material in season 5.

If you didn't read/see it, it doesn't mean it wasn't announced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TBfdd_xNVo

TC 29.39

I'm glad that you said that we don't know anything for certain, because a couple of posts ago you said they will exhaust all 5 books' material in season 5.

...and you must not have actually read what I wrote in my post, because I didn't say that or anything LIKE that at all. I said they will be taking from 4 different books - 3, 4, 5 and 6 next season because some characters are behind (like Jon and Stannis) and some characters are ahead (like Sansa and Bran). I never said they would finish the next two books in the next season, I said that they have 3 seasons to finish 4 books, so things will get cut, consolidated and moved around. It's not going to be strictly this season to this book anymore.

I don't get the antagonism I'm getting for stating the obvious.

Edited by sj4iy

Wonder how long until there will be a theme park..

with theme park rides

and themed restaurants..

catering...

wedding planning..

horse riding..

jk, but seriously, wonder if they would do a theme park.

HBO will milk that cow until there is no more left.

They already made got themed perfume.. sooner or later there will be sodas. Water Morghulis and Water Dohaeris. And of course, Pepsi Cola Special Edition: Blackwater.

Wildfire absinth.

So they say 8 seasons now. They will say 9 seasons in two years. Definitely. Movie makers are able to stretch The Hobbit into 3 4 hour movies, they will easily make the series longer.

They already made got themed perfume.. sooner or later there will be sodas. Water Morghulis and Water Dohaeris. And of course, Pepsi Cola Special Edition: Blackwater.

Wildfire absinth.

There is the Fire and Blood beer.

Wonder how long until there will be a theme park..

with theme park rides

and themed restaurants..

catering...

wedding planning..

horse riding..

jk, but seriously, wonder if they would do a theme park.

Wildfire absinth.

So they say 8 seasons now. They will say 9 seasons in two years. Definitely. Movie makers are able to stretch The Hobbit into 3 4 hour movies, they will easily make the series longer.

There's a difference between marketing your product and drawing it out past its breaking point.

D&D may produce the show, but it's HBO who markets it. It's not up to them how HBO decides to market it. It is up to them how long the show will run, and they've explicitly stated that they are against milking it:

"It doesn’t just keep on going because it can,” Weiss explains. “I think the desire to milk more out of it is what would eventually kill it, if we gave in to that."

I don't get why some people try to make them out to be opportunistic hacks, because they are far from that.

Edited by sj4iy

If there is a gold mine, don't open it for tourists and tell everyone how cool it is, mine the gold.

More profit with that.

DD are not the good guys really. They turn around their story as much as needed, then market it like Star Wars and create a huge expanded universe.

Perhaps Grrm will have his own George Lucas moment. Where he regrets it.

It's just the truth.

I mean they already have a cook book that has barely anything to do with either show or books, aside from the name.

If there is a gold mine, don't open it for tourists and tell everyone how cool it is, mine the gold.

More profit with that.

DD are not the good guys really. They turn around their story as much as needed, then market it like Star Wars and create a huge expanded universe.

Perhaps Grrm will have his own George Lucas moment. Where he regrets it.

It's just the truth.

I mean they already have a cook book that has barely anything to do with either show or books, aside from the name.

Sorry, I simply see no reason to bash two guys making a show for things they have no control over...like cookbooks written by someone else.

They have nothing to do with the marketing of the product...that is HBO's concern. That's how business works. HBO invests a lot of money into their product, and for their investment, they get the rights to sell products, like cookbooks, dvds, shirts, etc., which will make money for them. D&D are concerned with writing the show, not marketing it.

It's perfectly fair to criticize them for mistakes in their show...it's not fair to criticize them personally, saying that they are 'not good guys, really' because they had the gall to write a highly successful show based on some books that you like.

By the way, Martin himself wrote a forward for that very cookbook you mentioned.

Edited by sj4iy

Sorry, I simply see no reason to bash two guys making a show for things they have no control over...like cookbooks written by someone else.

They have nothing to do with the marketing of the product...that is HBO's concern. That's how business works. HBO invests a lot of money into their product, and for their investment, they get the rights to sell products, like cookbooks, dvds, shirts, etc., which will make money for them. D&D are concerned with writing the show, not marketing it.

It's perfectly fair to criticize them for mistakes in their show...it's not fair to criticize them personally, saying that they are 'not good guys, really' because they had the gall to write a highly successful show based on some books that you like.

By the way, Martin himself wrote a forward for that very cookbook you mentioned.

It is just the George Lucas effect.

Who knows who has power. Someone had it and then it got lost somewhere, but now things roll.

George Lucas initiated and produced the new animated clone wars series, yet it is total crap and ruins so much of the good stuff of Star Wars.

It is just the George Lucas effect.

Who knows who has power. Someone had it and then it got lost somewhere, but now things roll.

George Lucas initiated and produced the new animated clone wars series, yet it is total crap and ruins so much of the good stuff of Star Wars.

You are using a very bad analogy. The two situations are completely different.

George Lucus wrote and directed the Star Wars movies, which were enormously successful. Then many years later, he took those same movies, 'updated them', and rereleased them. Then he wrote three terrible movies as prequels.

GRRM was writing a book series when he was approached by two screenplay writers who wanted to adapt his books into a show on a premium cable network. Martin agreed, and sold his rights to HBO. HBO took a big risk on a genre that typically does not do well in the adult demographic. To everyone's surprise, the show became a hit and took off. It is slated to run 7 years, if they continue to be successful.

Basically, your analogy doesn't work, because the situation of one is not comparable to the other.

At the end of it, HBO will have spent about a half billion dollars making it. Do you seriously expect HBO NOT to market their biggest hit drama since The Sopranos when they are spending so much on it? Show business isn't about charity...it's about profit. Always has been, always will be. But the people with the power are the executives at HBO, because they own the rights to the show.

At the end of it, HBO will have spent about a half billion dollars making it. Do you seriously expect HBO NOT to market their biggest hit drama since The Sopranos when they are spending so much on it? Show business isn't about charity...it's about profit. Always has been, always will be. But the people with the power are the executives at HBO, because they own the rights to the show.

So why argue if you agree?

And the prequels were decent. Two decent movies, worthy of the Star Wars series. ;)

Edited by Metopheles

So why argue if you agree?

And the prequels were decent. Two decent movies, worthy of the Star Wars series. ;)

He doesn't agree. You were making out that D&D were the "bad guys" in the situation because they market the show and come into a lot of money as a result of it. sj4iy said, quite rightly, that issues of licensing and marketing are entirely out of D&D's hands.

Also, I worry about anybody who seems to value the 'Star Wars' prequels over GoT.

He doesn't agree. You were making out that D&D were the "bad guys" in the situation because they market the show and come into a lot of money as a result of it. sj4iy said, quite rightly, that issues of licensing and marketing are entirely out of D&D's hands.

Also, I worry about anybody who seems to value the 'Star Wars' prequels over GoT.

As much as I love GOT, this is a war it cannot win.

DD aren't necessarily the bad guys, but easily then the Lucases, the little heads with power that made bad decisions.

I doubt they are capable of bad things, but bad decisions.

I think they really love the series, but someone has to be blamed, and they are of course the scapegoats, as they are the face of the show. Who should I blame ? The janitor?

No. They definitely love the series, but it appears some people behind them or over them make them do bad decisions. Like the deviations.

Odysseus has to sail to Ithaka, not the other nice islands. They are full of adventures and interesting stuff and opportunities...and death..but they really should go home to his wife and children before the wife remarries and they have to shoot an arrow through 12 rings.

Odysseus isn't bad, but he makes bad decisions.

The Trojan Horse was a very bright moment of his, but the Sirens not so much.

As much as I love GOT, this is a war it cannot win.

DD aren't necessarily the bad guys, but easily then the Lucases, the little heads with power that made bad decisions.

I doubt they are capable of bad things, but bad decisions.

I think they really love the series, but someone has to be blamed, and they are of course the scapegoats, as they are the face of the show. Who should I blame ? The janitor?

No. They definitely love the series, but it appears some people behind them or over them make them do bad decisions. Like the deviations.

Odysseus has to sail to Ithaka, not the other nice islands. They are full of adventures and interesting stuff and opportunities...and death..but they really should go home to his wife and children before the wife remarries and they have to shoot an arrow through 12 rings.

Odysseus isn't bad, but he makes bad decisions.

The Trojan Horse was a very bright moment of his, but the Sirens not so much.

I'm not entirely sure what you're blaming D&D for. Is it the deviations from the source material you perceive to be unnecessary? Or is this still about marketing and theme parks?

And I don't see how we can be certain of anything they will do- the entire story has changed. Tyrion won't be a big player in the game at Kings Landing anymore- he'll be a fugitive on the run.

Tyrion still has great things to do. He is essential to the major plot - whatever that turns out to be. Several characters who excel at judging people have said so. The very fact that Mel the Inconstant, who thinks the cold mist is good and BRs cave and its inhabitants are bad, hasnt even seen him is a good sign. Moqorro who is reliable has predicted great things. He, Jon, and Dany are in it for the long haul. And one Stark.

The Wall is essential. That's what keeps the bad guys contained. That's where Jon stands with his red sword and his armor made of Special Ice.

If anyone in Essos has to worry it's the Varys-Illyrio team. They, and LF, have worldly aspirations. They'll go down like bowling pins, as they deserve to. Who the fuck cuts out kids' tongues & makes them into Child Spy Assassins?

Today's prediction for the last line: "Oh, fuck it. My watch has finally ended." -Tyrion

I might be wrong but of those things I am certain. :D

I'm not entirely sure what you're blaming D&D for. Is it the deviations from the source material you perceive to be unnecessary? Or is this still about marketing and theme parks?

I actually wouldn't mind a theme park..

Both. marketing it to death can ruin it. I think it has this nice independent thing to it and still has all the high budget and popularity.

and of course the deviations. Who knows. Maybe a nice voice told them this and that would make for higher ratings...who knows..

I actually wouldn't mind a theme park..

Both. marketing it to death can ruin it. I think it has this nice independent thing to it and still has all the high budget and popularity.

and of course the deviations. Who knows. Maybe a nice voice told them this and that would make for higher ratings...who knows..

Again, D&D have absolutely nothing to do with the marketing. They don't decide on product merchandising or licensing. There's an entire department at HBO devoted to that very thing- that's their entire job, is to get this stuff out to the public and make money for the company. That's how business works. The writers of a tv show would have NOTHING to do with any of that stuff. It's not their job.

If you want to complain about marketing (which, to me, is silly when the public loves that sort of thing), then you should be complaining about HBO's marketing department for licensing their brand to thousands of things. If you want to complain about D&D's writing, that's a completely different animal. They have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Edited by sj4iy