How would you rate episode 410?

Ran

How would you rate episode 410?  

1,081 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it a 7 since I'm a book reader. This is the first episode I can remember letting that determine my vote. I've always been able to separate the two mediums in my head until last night.

I loved Jon's scene with Mance. Stannis' arrival was well done, although I wish they could have thrown in a scene with Mel and Jon with a "You know nothing". The Mereen stuff worked well. Arya was great as usual. I really loved Cersei telling Tywin the truth.

Jojen getting killed didn't bother me, but I really didn't like the explosive fireballs from the Child. How the hell could the First Men or the Andals have fought that?

I'm OK with removing Tysha, show watchers probably would have been confused. I don't understand why they removed the conflict between Tyrion and Jaime completely though. That last moment between the two of them felt so rushed. Everything after that point with Tyrion was pretty spot on though I felt.

Leaving out Stoneheart was a huge mistake in my opinion. That was such a great "WTF" cliffhanger at the end of ASoS. That was a huge wasted opportunity. Now they basically have to invent an entire seasons worth of material for Brienne. Revealing LS at the beginning or the middle of season 5 will lessen the impact tremendously. I just don't understand the thought process there.

Game of Thrones Season 4 Finale Analysis

This season shifts away from the traditional penultimate episode 9 cliffhangers, creatively spreading the thrill throughout from ep. 2 Joffrey’s death, ep. 6 Tyrion’s demand for trial of combat, ep. 7 Lysa’s death, and ep. 8 death of Oberyn Martell against the “the Mountain” Ser Gregor Clegane. the Wall

The Negotiation: The show tries to portray the Jon’s attempt to assassinate Mance, and they did it well. The wildlings are not evil, they simply wanted to hide at the wall before the Others (whitewalkers) come.

The Battle:okay My first impression was, wait, there’s hell lot of horses! And I think the show had quickly explain the victory better. Viewers can remember how Stannis was able to loan again from the Iron Bank of Braavos and can conclude that this was an army of sellswords. It was different in the book but the objective was the same and attained in the same matter. The few top shots reveal that the 100,000 wildlings are hiding in the wall, but Stannis’ cavalry made a pincer movement only to the center. As in the books, the victory was meant not to completely crush the whole Wildlings host but rather to disperse them in confusion, capture the King beyond the wall, and shatter wildling unity.

Jon meets Stannis:okay This is not directly shown in the books, and it was different then. (Jon was with Mance’s tent while her wife gives birth). But scene was well played. The music can both bring chills to the side who thinks that wildlings are good and here’s an evil unwanted king, or to the the Night’s Watch who was saved from being slaughtered, the message was clear, there is a new very powerful force that comes to the north, and you will be either bend the knee or be destroyed. Jon and Stannis just arrived to an uneasy alliance.

And Now Their Watched has Ended:good I think it is good to show Maester Aemon there. It is very important because it means he was, as for the moment, the primary voice of the Watch. Stannis clearly will have his say in a while because all looking at Castle Black’s ramparts are men wearing the Stannis’ fiery heart sigil. Melisandre is not with Stannis side which is odd. She was completely opposite Jon Snow and her face was different, unlike the decisive look she always reveals, but a look of attention and surprise, even a hint of fear. Clearly she saw something in the fire that talks about Jon’s fate and origins. Show fans can shrug, but books fans can guess a thing or two. Jon Snow’s Parenthood, and the Azor Ahai prophecy.

Ygritte’s Funeral: bad still believe that Ygritte’s funeral is anti climatic. I didn’t mean that the scene shouldn’t be there. I only believe that they could draw from the books better scene than that. Who would lead the Night’s Watch now, or what will Jon Snow play in Stannis’ struggle to gain win the Game of Thrones?

I couldnt ask for more in Arya scenes. And the only thing I hate in other scenes is Tywin not saying "Wherever Whores go". But I guess it's not necessary for the plot. My verdict is an 8/10

I was disappointed to begin with, then I realised all of my disappointments were because of scenes and speeches I was expecting that didn't occur, LS, She's been fucking..., Tyrion being witty when killing Tywin, etc.

After I realised that I rewatched some scenes, and I now think it's fucking brilliant.

Some of the changes I think are better, Brienne and the Hound, Varys going with Tyrion is a brilliant idea!!

I'm thinking that more and more, watchers who have read the books should only expect basic plot developments, then sit back, chill the fuck out, and enjoy one of the best shows on TV

Well said. I'm taking that approach as well.

Wait, are you implying that the skeleton fight in Jason and the Argonauts is terrible?

No haha I'm just saying that the comparison between the two is uncanny and considering one was made 50 years ago and the other this year, they look too similar for it to be considered good special effects (for our time).

Leaving out Stoneheart was a huge mistake in my opinion. That was such a great "WTF" cliffhanger at the end of ASoS. That was a huge wasted opportunity. Now they basically have to invent an entire seasons worth of material for Brienne. Revealing LS at the beginning or the middle of season 5 will lessen the impact tremendously. I just don't understand the thought process there.

LS will be the beginning of Briennes plot next season. I wouldn't doubt if episode 1 ends with her hanging Frey's in order to set up Brienne eventually meeting her. They'll likely have Brienne being turned away at the Eyrie, fighting the bandits in the cave, being attacked by the fake hound and then ending up on LS's noose. Just like Stannis being moved to this episode, which people whined about endlessly (and ended up being better due to giving more to the Wall this episode), everything will work out fine with LS as well.

You guys need to quit building up crazy expectations for each episode and just watch. You discuss Stannis and LS the previous two episodes like they were locks and then moan when they're delayed a bit. It's really quite sad.

Edited by Starksmustwin

i thought it was very well done, a 9 for me... i honestly don't get why or how people can rate something low because one thing they wanted/expected did not happen...

the season as a whole was just meh for me, maybe a 6 or 7, but that's based more on how many minutes they "left on the cutting room floor" over 10 episodes

Edited by basilisk312

I can't understand how anyone give an episode a 1. Even the ones I didn't like I gave at least a 6.

The level of resources put into this to stay true to the original story is staggering (70 million per season!). The actors have all been top notch and the story is well done considering time restraints.

People mentioned water downed, can you imagine how water downed it would be on AMC ? The Walking dead is a children's show compared to GoT.

That is why numerical rating is a bit silly for this show, people are not capable of rating the episode rationally when they are angry over one small detail in particular, or two. They overlook all of the good ones, almost like they are getting back at the showrunners, as if they read these forums intensively just to see how we are rating their show.

I haven't seen it yet but I already know I'm adding points for the removal of Lady SH. She should never have been resurrected, when you resurrect dead people you lose the emotional impact of deaths. Just look at Wheel of Time when several of the Forsaken were resurrected.

I like Martin's version of bringing people back more than any other authors tbh. At least they are not the same, or improved like Gandalf the White.

9/10 for me.

Jon/Mance tent scene.

Jon saying 'I know my father died for him' and Stannis acknowledging Ned.

Tormund/Jon scene. 'You'll never be a kneeler again.' Foreshadowing?

Mel staring at Jon. Looks like she's already seen him in her fires.

Ygritte funeral. Actually everything Kit did these past two episodes was gold. Finally, I'm beginning to believe he was the right choice to play Jon.

Cercei telling Tywin about the Twincest. Deviation I know but I don't mind, especially with Lena's smug satisfied look.

Arya/Brienne conversation. For a second soon after Brienne says that her father said 'if you are going to fight you better learn to do it right,' Arya gives a broad smile. Looks like she's remembering what Ned told her. For a second there it almost seemed like Arya was a child again. Maisie is such a treat to watch

BR saying I see with a thousand eyes and one and telling Bran you'll fly.

Varys face and him turning back after the bells start ringing.

Arya's last scene was also pure gold, especially with the background music. Her running towards the front of the ship and looking forward was great.

Dislikes:

Comical skeleton wights and the grenades Leaf was throwing. Actually that whole fight scene and the way Jojen died.

Brienne/Hound fight scene. It started out well, then it got too bloody and long. They could have had Sandor lose his footing and tumbling from that hill instead of Bri pounding his head a zillion times with those rather large rocks.

And why did the knight at the bloody gate let Sandor and Arya get away? A discoonect there that makes no sense.

Shae taking a knife to Tyrion. Then why show Shae as really in love with Tyrion for 2 whole seasons. I get it, it's a defensive move but then have Tyrion lunge at her or something not just stare at her.

No LS. If anyone in Westoros deserves their comeuppance it's Walder Frey and his brood. And if not LS who's left to to do it.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff but this is all I can remember for now.

Edited by teej6

Gave it a solid 9. If you compare the books to the show then you are just cheating yourself out of a very great television show. Nothing compares to the books so stop it. This is a gift while we wait for the next book.

Either way, the only things stopping me from giving it a 10 were I wished Jaime told the true story about Tyrion's wife. And that Tyrion confronted Tywin on the matter. Also wish Varys led him to the ladder. Bran's scene with the 3-eyed crow was great but I had hoped they made the crow more gruesome looking. Like they described in the books.

I too was expecting a Lady Stoneheart but the more I think about it, the better it will be next season. It would have been too rushed last night. They need to remind people about the BWB and Dondarion again. So to me this gives more for them to go with next season. Maybe have Arya's "dream" about Nymeria happen while she is on her way to Bravos or while she is training.

How badass was the fight between the Hound and Brienne? Loved it after the shock of Brienne seeing Arya wore off.

The scenes at the Wall were great. Especially Melisandre and John Snow looking at each other.

Felt so bad for the dragons being locked up. That was a great scene.

Cersie confronting Tywin was powerful. Excellent scene.

The fight with the wights and Hodor was great. The Child of the Forest was great. I was okay with the fireballs too.

Can't really complain. A solid 9. Now to wait another 10 months for 10 sub-hour episodes.

LS will be the beginning of Briennes plot next season. I wouldn't doubt if episode 1 ends with her hanging Frey's in order to set up Brienne eventually meeting her. They'll likely have Brienne being turned away at the Eyrie, fighting the bandits in the cave, being attacked by the fake hound and then ending up on LS's noose. Just like Stannis being moved to this episode, which people whined about endlessly (and ended up being better due to giving more to the Wall this episode), everything will work out fine with LS as well.

You guys need to quit building up crazy expectations for each episode and just watch. You discuss Stannis and LS the previous two episodes like they were locks and then moan when they're delayed a bit. It's really quite sad.

I'm not one that thinks they are going to cut LS completely. I just think a two or three minute scene this season would have had a huge impact. It also would have been easy to hide from the Unsullied. If Michelle Fairly is included now for next season Social Media will find out and people will be expecting her.

The episode was still good I gave it a 7 and I really don't want to come across as a book fanatic that hates every change, I just felt they could have handled this episode better.

Hey, long time lurker, first time poster.

While I understand that this book to television series translation has got to be impossibly difficult at times, I'm puzzled by many things this season. Things that were only made onvious at the end of EP 10.

I was dying since watching Oberyn getting his head smashed, waiting to see Tyrion. He's pretty much thte show's lead character and a splendid actor......I feel like HBO loves him and his talents have pushed his parts of the books up a bit. All of that said, I kept waiting for a Lannister scene last week. When I didn't get one, I was waiting again this week. Even knowing what was coming I was dying with suspense. They have made a point several times this season alone, to give Tyrion his long drawn out monologues. The thing with Shey, fine. She goes for a knife, he is broken hearted, he chokes her. But the killing of Tywin, was so F'D up. This is the head of the family who has been in power since the beginning of the entire story. He is hated by the good guys and the bad guys, yet there are times as a reader/watcher, you kind of like him or hate him too. Thinking back to his moments with Aria at Herenhall.

I did not like the omission of Jaimie telling him about Tysha. It would havve made you hate Tywin and understand why Tyrion, who is probably the most sensible person in th entire story, would murder his former lover and father. His heart broken by his father over both the women that he has loved in his life. I WOULD HAVE KILLED HIM TOO!!!

IMO, when they cut to Tyrion in his cell, and I loooked over at the clock, I freaked out. Way too much time on other crap this season, and not enough time on the most important exchanges of the entire series. Jaimie who has gone from bad to good, suddenly pulled in by Cersei again......he shows up and takes him down a hall and says, "Farewell little brother." Thats it????

The exchange between Tywin and Tyrion should have been full of rage and hate. We should have known Tywin ordered the guards to rape Tysha, an inocent girl who really loved Tyrion, when thats all he has ever wanted, was love.

I know its hard to pick and choose what to squeeze in, but I got the feeling they decided what to put in episode ten, after episode nine was on TV, and said, "Oh poop, we have a lot to cover!!!" I mean, I'm assuimng they write the whole season before shooting episode one.

IMO, it was still good, 7/10, I wanted the last thirty minutes to be Jaimie and Tyrion talking, Tyrion killing Shey and Tywin with epic dialogue and total breakdown by Tyrion. I wanted to see him talk with Verys longer than 5 seconds, I wanted to know more about what the plans were with putting him on a ship.

Just my opinion, I'm no television producer, but it seemed to be the most rushed, yet hugely important sequence of the entire series. "You're a Lannister" <arrow in the heart> the end.

i cant believe folks are still yapping about changes from the books! GRRM's editor has said we MIGHT get book 6 in 2015, and in another report, they are adding a book 8. who knows, it might be another 12-15 YEARS before GRRM finishes these books. there are only 3 seasons left in show, we all know that. the show is going to have to go at its own pace and have its own ending, there is no getting around that anymore.

Edited by feast-of-fros

yeah its not about the impact of Tysha's character... its about developing Tyrion in aDwD. One of the reasons people cite as their reasons for hating Tyrion in Dance is because of "where do whores go?" something that while annoying to others is a very big part of his mindset there... this is going to sound insane, but I think this is biggest "white washing" of Tyrion yet. There's nothing for him to be so loathsome in the coming seasons besides Shae, and they've made him the victim there....

I agree it is a rather major job of White washing, it also ignores the impact of Tyrion and Jaime and what happens to their relationship. When Tyrion leaves he is suppose to have nothing, his life is destroyed. He got a kiss from his brother, from bitter hatred in the books to hugs and kisses. How did they even arrive at that choice. Jaime is suppose to be developing as a person as well and hey lets ignore that for Cersei sex and hugs and kisses. How does it even stay remotely true to the idea of the books?