[BOOK SPOILERS] Fate of Jojen Reed

Bringer of Rain

Well, we knew his arc was coming to an end, after all, but it was really hard to see him killed by White Walkers, or wights, whatever they were, hard to see him killed violently.

yeah, definitely. i always imagined him just slowly coming apart in that cave, meera having to watch it happen, this poor sickly kid somehow being okay with it all... which i'm guessing is how it happens in TWOW. when the wight started stabbing him it genuinely shocked me. it's almost like seeing bran getting stabbed would be, though not as important to the story going forward.

tommytwoshoes, please see below.

You couldn't be more right, I'm sure he's already buggered off to go harass someone else.

Seriously though, the fireballs absolutely contradict the way I imagined magic in the Fire and Ice books. Everything seen before in the books point to magic being a costly, expensive thing to use (as far as I remember anyway; citing shadow demons and blood magic in Essos mainly). I've always thought of Game of Thrones as having a really mature way of handling magic. Children slinging fireballs was really upsetting to me as it made magic seem incredibly childish and an inexpensive resource.

Well, the Children seem to be capable of on-call tidal waves in the books (the Hammer of Waters) so the fireballs didn't bother me at all.

What is the "Hammer of Waters"? I don't recall reading about that in the books... it's been quite a while and I should probably reread to catch up on all the subtleties. I still can't get over missing Theon saying "Hodor did not know much, but no one could doubt that he knew his name", most beautiful foreshadowing ever.

Did anyone else think 'Jason and the Argonauts'? I thought the fight scene was a little cheesy; I would have preferred wights

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ruc-cEp4sE0/ToXqip1L7UI/AAAAAAAAF1s/2TnHJREutTU/s1600/jason-and-the-argonauts.jpg

I never thought Jojen Paste was very likely, and it seems like it's not relevant in the show at all. While I'm not too thrilled about Jojen being killed right before they arrive, I do think it will make for a more interesting dynamic between Bran and Meera next season.

The hammer of waters was a supposed magic the Children of the Forest used to flood the neck and the arm of Dorne, both done to prevent invasions of the First Men. IIRC. So fireballs are rather paltry compared to that, I think.

Really I can't believe there are people that believes that if bloody D&W cuts something from TV-series it means it won't be important in books. Blimey, folk for those guys the only things unchangable (and I'm not quite sure about it) is final fate of Jon, Tyrion, Dany and whole Fire vs Ice results. Rest of it can be achieved by different (not always logical) ends, by different supporting characters, and it ALWAYS can be changed from books.

I think Thomas Brodie-Sangster wanted to leave the show so they prematurely killed him off. He's one of the more famous actors on the show but he gets very limited screen time amongst the cast. With very little Bran material left on the table, he'd probably only get to appear in probably 3 episodes the next two season. He's appearing in the Maze Runner so he probably didn't want to be tied down to Game of Thrones given his knowledge of his limited screen time and perhaps death. Otherwise, I think the show would have followed the way it's going to happen in the books.

We don't actually know that. D&D are only privy to the broadstrokes on the ending, not the relative importance of every character in getting to that ending.

Wrong. They spent a week visiting Martin last year getting detailed complete information on every character and plot for this exact purpose. They know pretty much everything.

And to be honest, they haven't changed anything significant regardless of what some people say. A few more minor characters are dead, a few things happened in different ways. It's not like they changed major character deaths, or made story-altering changes.

I don't believe Jojen was ever or is going to be turned into paste. The theory makes no sense at all to me. Also, anyone who has played GOT Ascent on FB, they use the paste!!! There is a wise woman essentially and she gives the ch the paste for a quest. She explains that it is just the sap of the tree with seeds (I remember sap, don't remember seeds). which makes perfect sense. When the trees 'cry' they look like blood flowing from the eyes.

Archived