Kudos to Rory McCann (possible book spoilers)

GloveroftheNorth

I will miss Rory McCann on this series so much. In my mind he is the Hound, and he took the Hound from someone I was mildly interested in to one of my favorite characters. He was the sorely needed comic relief for this season.

@ Woman of War: you're the only other person I've seen on here that thinks the open ending can still lead to the gravedigger. high five!

I will miss Rory McCann on this series so much. In my mind he is the Hound, and he took the Hound from someone I was mildly interested in to one of my favorite characters. He was the sorely needed comic relief for this season.

@ Woman of War: you're the only other person I've seen on here that thinks the open ending can still lead to the gravedigger. high five!

Well it seems to me that the merging of characters and need for drama that D&D are looking for guys to kill off... ie like poor grenn and pyp.

Jojen dies to add to the moment so we know he was not going to do anything else significant except waste away. I think that I am more certain the hound will return now given that they went to lengths to leave the issue open

he's been a brilliant character , did have soft spot for him in the books by the end , but rory brought that on alot sooner , hope to see him in the background of a shot next season digging a grave .

the director of the episode said that was it for the hound. that was the end of his story. HOPEFULLY him and GRRM are on the same page and "the hound" is dead...but maybe we see Sandor again? haha, probably not, which is dumb. They botched Jamies redemption arc but at least they knocked the hounds out of the park. Bravo Rory for that final scene.

His performance was genius. The expression in his eyes that did subtly turn to pleading just before Arya got up to take his gold was magnificent. Their relationship has been quite a complicated one, adversarial as well as kind, or at least bordering on 'close' at times (I loved the scene where he rode with Arya huddled in front of him after they had passed the godawful encounter with Grey Wind's head sewn to Robb's body, that was just beautiful and tender.

After the chicken scene at the inn, when Arya killed (was it Polliver?) and ended up getting her horse after all, I think he was developing a certain respect for her. I think he also did when she showed him how the man with the cart they stole in order to get into Riverrun could be removed from being a threat to them without killing him. Times of near hatred did persist at times throughout, but the scene with Brienne just before their fight when he said he was taking care of her rang true for me, for at that point there was no one from whom he could collect ransom, and he catalogued her losses quite succinctly, in no doubt about how complete and devastating they had been. And as he lay dying, she grabbed her water to offer him, though he rejected it.

When she refused him the mercy killing and just left him dying, I have never been certain exactly what that was about, in the book or in the finale last night. My gut feeling is that it wasn't to leave vengefully leave him suffering. She had said outside of Riverrun something about sticking a knife straight through his head, and this would have been the perfect opportunity for her to do so, but she didn't.

No, I have said exactly the same thing.

I don't know why everyone assumes he is dead.

He is in exactly the same state he was in when Arya left him in the books - supposedly dying. But his line about "unless there is a maester around the corner" leaves no doubt IMO that he will in fact find his second life, as he did in the books. It will likely be changed a bit since the Quiet Isle is likely cut, but he is alive.

I was so surprised that they didn't kill him.

The fact we don't yet do see Jojen's death makes me think he will be back: D&D don't do subtle or ambiguity. I suspect they would have killed him off if he doesn't come back into the story.

No its not definite that Sandor intended or considered to rape her. You have just decided that it must be so, because you don't like him.

. WHAT??? Sandor in my eyes is for sure among the most interesting characters, a hugely fascinating read. I guess you have never read any of my posts about him. I like him not despite but because he is so wretched, so broken and conflicted, I like his darknees, his fatal book infatuation with Sansa enriches the character of that killer who starts out as Lannisters' willing executioner and ends as deconstructed badass. I love that and I would love to see him as someone who offers very intense philosophical questions about religion and hypocrisy.

It may have been inappropriate for Sandor to ask Arya for mercy, but it wasn't cowardice. I don't think Sandor needs lectures from you about courage.

Lectures from me? I am not within the books! Sandor is fictional, remember, and I am not , he is GRRM's character and gets precisely the lections the author wants to give him and will never hear mine. There is no reason to get personal in your post. If judging a fictional character's actions meant entering Martin's world and "lecturing" a character - that would mean opening a funnily interactive parallel universe. If we did not discuss we could just as well lock the forum.

Maisie:

How did you play her emotional state as she walked away?

I really don’t think it was spiteful. She doesn’t purposefully leave him there to die. He’s bossed her around for so long, it’s like that final straw of, “Now you take me seriously, and it’s too late.” Her whole life, she’s been desperate to prove to people what she’s capable of. Now the Hound really gets it, and it’s too late. He has almost created a monster and it’s started to backfire on him. That’s a lot for her to deal with as well. She kind of likes him! He really helped her out, and as much as it would be doing him a favor, I don’t think she wants to kill him at all. And possibly walking away is killing him. But in “Game of Thrones,” unless you’ve got a dagger in your heart, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re dead.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/06/15/maisie-williams-on-arya-stark-the-hound-and-the-game-of-thrones-finale/

Rory and Maisie gave their best performance (yet). Their words,actions and face mimic was brilliant.

I loved the fight between Brienne and the Hound ( I love both of them ). Good acting.Beautiful scenery. Meaningful conversations.

I liked how Brienne went berserk. I liked how the Hound grabbed her sword.

We found that Arya trusts the Hound more than she trusts Brienne( and it's naturally as she has been with the Hound for a while and she probably saw through him).

Sandor sayng flat out that he was taking care of Arya...pure genius. Adds more to his character. And the reason he fought Brienne was to defend Arya.

Arya wanted to give him water, but he refused. Maisie did a good job interpreting her. You could see that she pitied the Hound and saw through his provoking words.Arya taking his money and leaving him to die shows that she learnt from the Hound the 'survival of the fittest'rule and maybe she couldn't pull herself to end his pain.

His last words were changed a bit, but the essence was there. Regarding Sansa as pretty, and the take her away part //I see some regrets here. The fuck her bloody/to have a single happy memory is hound language for remorse and admittance that he has no beautiful memories and is a failure. (There was something between Sansa and Sandor in the books.I see it more as him becoming a replacement for her direwolf..it doesn't have to be a romantic bond).

Nice foreshadowing with that quote about the maester hiding behind the rocks. Maybe they will somehow follow the book and the whole Elder Brother-QI-the Hound is dead, Sandor is at rest- gravedigger will happen. Maybe they will change it a little bit. Part of me thinks that he will be back. In the show they made him even more likeable and they did such a good job that it would be a pity to drop the character.

the director of the episode said that was it for the hound. that was the end of his story

F*ck the director.

@Woman of War

I think that Sandor seriously considered raping Sansa. He manhandled her after all, putting a dagger at her neck and pinning her to the bed. But I am sure that even though he considered it, he would have never been able to do it.

But in the show, we can't really know. It doesn't look like it to me honestly, if anything he was pretty soft.

@LeCygne

Kyaaah! See? As long as the Hound doesn't have a dagger in his heart, we don't know if he is dead or not :D

@RattleSnake

And the reason he fought Brienne was to defend Arya

This.

And probably to keep her with him too.

For the gravedigger thing.

I said that I (personally) considered the Hound being cured by someone in the Vale or by the farmer two ossible scenarios... but to me, this ending scene set the foundation for the gravedigger. I don't picture Sandor NOT being the gravedigger now. Or whatever kind of non-fighitng characterwearing a hood that would be close to this.

Adding mine to the kudos for McCann; he made me fall in love with Sandor Clegane this season, as much as you can love a character like that. I think the confession to Arya about what his brother had done to him sealed it, but also I liked how during the time he was with each Stark girl, he taught them to survive by different means.

As to Sandor's future, I don't know that GRRM is done with him; why else have Brienne at QI with that gravedigger who limps and clearly likes dogs dogs. Why would EB say "the Hound is dead." So I believe he will be back in the books and another season of the show. Maybe when Sansa and LF are touring the Vale next season, they'll take a detour to the QI for Robin's health? Doubtful Brienne's book scene would be included as she has now been up close and personal with Sandor, and should find something familiar about the gravedigger. I would be surprised / severely disappointed if we don't see McCann again unless <<gasp>> the character is recast like his onscreen brother.

Rory and Maisie gave their best performance (yet). Their words,actions and face mimic was brilliant.

I loved the fight between Brienne and the Hound ( I love both of them ). Good acting.Beautiful scenery. Meaningful conversations.

I liked how Brienne went berserk. I liked how the Hound grabbed her sword.

We found that Arya trusts the Hound more than she trusts Brienne( and it's naturally as she has been with the Hound for a while and she probably saw through him).

Sandor sayng flat out that he was taking care of Arya...pure genius. Adds more to his character. And the reason he fought Brienne was to defend Arya.

Arya wanted to give him water, but he refused. Maisie did a good job interpreting her. You could see that she pitied the Hound and saw through his provoking words.Arya taking his money and leaving him to die shows that she learnt from the Hound the 'survival of the fittest'rule and maybe she couldn't pull herself to end his pain.

His last words were changed a bit, but the essence was there. Regarding Sansa as pretty, and the take her away part //I see some regrets here. The fuck her bloody/to have a single happy memory is hound language for remorse and admittance that he has no beautiful memories and is a failure. (There was something between Sansa and Sandor in the books.I see it more as him becoming a replacement for her direwolf..it doesn't have to be a romantic bond).

Nice foreshadowing with that quote about the maester hiding behind the rocks. Maybe they will somehow follow the book and the whole Elder Brother-QI-the Hound is dead, Sandor is at rest- gravedigger will happen. Maybe they will change it a little bit. Part of me thinks that he will be back. In the show they made him even more likeable and they did such a good job that it would be a pity to drop the character.

:agree:

I agree, she didn't want to kill him.

Rory was wonderful. He finally said your pretty sister, that was great. And the one happy memory was remembering her, of course. He was great all season, the Hound and Arya was the best part of the season for me.

Also, I mentioned this before but what if "one happy memory" has something to do with the unkiss, just a thought.

Anyone else think Hound basically told Arya why he traveled with her. Without realizing it he answered Arya question why he stuck around. He did it for Sansa cause he was or had infactualtion for Sansa and its why compelled him to come back for her at the Red Wedding and why he would fight to keep her with him over Brieanne.

What a fantastic duo, they definitely were had the best moments this season. I'll definitely miss it.

Yeah, with Sandor just left there, I think it's pretty much confirmed he's not going to die yet. Remember in the books, the Elder Brother said

"The Hound is dead" & when Brienne says "So Sandor is dead", the Elder Brother simply puts it "He is at peace", never saying Sandor, but The Hound, and as us book readers know there's been 2 other people who have worn The Hound's helm, both Rorge (who's dead in the show) & Lem Lemoncloak, who's in the Brotherhood Without Banners

Great performances by both Maisie (The only young actor who hasn't come across as slightly awkward IMO) & Rory, who just came out with some fantastic lines. Let's hope that Arya has someone good to counteract with in the show, like Sandor.

Archived