Kudos to Rory McCann (possible book spoilers)

GloveroftheNorth

Anyone else think Hound basically told Arya why he traveled with her. Without realizing it he answered Arya question why he stuck around. He did it for Sansa cause he was or had infactualtion for Sansa and its why compelled him to come back for her at the Red Wedding and why he would fight to keep her with him over Brieanne.

It does make a lot of sense..and I thought about this too. But if I remember well, in the show the relationship between the Hound and Sansa is kept at a minimum compared to the books. I didn't even know there was infatuation between them when I saw the show. I found about it while reading the books. The books are filled with symbols and actions that show it.

Rory and Maisie gave their best performance (yet). Their words,actions and face mimic was brilliant.

I loved the fight between Brienne and the Hound ( I love both of them ). Good acting.Beautiful scenery. Meaningful conversations.

I liked how Brienne went berserk. I liked how the Hound grabbed her sword.

We found that Arya trusts the Hound more than she trusts Brienne( and it's naturally as she has been with the Hound for a while and she probably saw through him).

Sandor sayng flat out that he was taking care of Arya...pure genius. Adds more to his character. And the reason he fought Brienne was to defend Arya.

Arya wanted to give him water, but he refused. Maisie did a good job interpreting her. You could see that she pitied the Hound and saw through his provoking words.Arya taking his money and leaving him to die shows that she learnt from the Hound the 'survival of the fittest'rule and maybe she couldn't pull herself to end his pain.

His last words were changed a bit, but the essence was there. Regarding Sansa as pretty, and the take her away part //I see some regrets here. The fuck her bloody/to have a single happy memory is hound language for remorse and admittance that he has no beautiful memories and is a failure. (There was something between Sansa and Sandor in the books.I see it more as him becoming a replacement for her direwolf..it doesn't have to be a romantic bond).

Nice foreshadowing with that quote about the maester hiding behind the rocks. Maybe they will somehow follow the book and the whole Elder Brother-QI-the Hound is dead, Sandor is at rest- gravedigger will happen. Maybe they will change it a little bit. Part of me thinks that he will be back. In the show they made him even more likeable and they did such a good job that it would be a pity to drop the character.

The Arya/Hound scenes in Season 4 were very well done. I thought that McCann had far more chemistry with Maisie Williams than he did with Sophie Turner; though that might be because (in my opinion) the writers did not, since they omitted the Hound's romantic/sexual interest in Sansa, given the actress' young age, seem to define Sandor's true feelings toward Sansa. The Hound had zero romantic or sexual interest in Arya; and it seemed to free McCann to emphasize his role as Arya's protector and teacher (as well as, initially, captor). Though the lessons he has taught her have rebounded on him - when someone takes care of you, and then weakens/or appears vulnerable, rob the person and abandon them to a cruel fate (this is what the Hound did when the kindly farmer and his daughter took him and Arya in; because he was sure they were too weak and would be killed in the future).

We saw more of the 'real' Hound, the sad man inside of the gruff, vicious fighter, this season. I hope the character survives; though I'm not sure how he could. How far away is the Quiet Isle, anyway? Or can they move the monastery so that the Elder Brother's turning up on the road to the Eyrie isn't a huge stretch?

The Arya/Hound scenes in Season 4 were very well done. I thought that McCann had far more chemistry with Maisie Williams than he did with Sophie Turner; though that might be because (in my opinion) the writers did not, since they omitted the Hound's romantic/sexual interest in Sansa, given the actress' young age, seem to define Sandor's true feelings toward Sansa. The Hound had zero romantic or sexual interest in Arya; and it seemed to free McCann to emphasize his role as Arya's protector and teacher (as well as, initially, captor). Though the lessons he has taught her have rebounded on him - when someone takes care of you, and then weakens/or appears vulnerable, rob the person and abandon them to a cruel fate (this is what the Hound did when the kindly farmer and his daughter took him and Arya in; because he was sure they were too weak and would be killed in the future).

We saw more of the 'real' Hound, the sad man inside of the gruff, vicious fighter, this season. I hope the character survives; though I'm not sure how he could. How far away is the Quiet Isle, anyway? Or can they move the monastery so that the Elder Brother's turning up on the road to the Eyrie isn't a huge stretch?

I agree so much. The Hound and Arya and how their connection was amazing this season. One of my favorite parts.

The show didn't go on the path of SanSan. As a mater of fact I didn't see any romance between them in the show(mostly because there is a big age difference between Rory and Sophie). I found out about it from the books. And I was shocked about it, but found it really interesting at the same time.

And...YES...we see a glimpse of what hides behind the facade of the Hound. We see how damaged he really is and how much of a byronic figure he is. And Arya's behavior shows that she has learnt a lot from the Hound.

Maybe they will change the QI plot, Maybe he will end up somewhere else, but with the same outcome(being healed physically and mentally). The show is known for adding changes(characters and actions).

I really hope he comes back..as he is such a fascinating character.

I disagree, I think they went there with something romantic on the show, and there's a chance they'll go there some more. She's old enough now, and there are lots of hints in the show, especially this season.

To be frank I don't know for sure. Part of me likes the idea of the Unknight getting the fair maiden (the sad man being finally happy). And,personally, I would love it.

But the other part of me thinks they might head the defender/protector path. If we analyse their names a bit maybe we can see something about their connection: Sandor (comes from Alexander and means 'defender of men') and Sansa (means 'praise,charm' and 'sacred').

And you are right Sophie is older now. I think they couldn't include some of the romantic elements in the show because at that time she was underage.

I don't care about the nature of their bond as long as he comes back.

I think the SanSan people overdo the importance of their feelings TBH.

I am not saying that emotional and sexual undertones are not there - they are - I just disagree that it means anything more than that each character is thinking through their emotional programming on a number of levels, using each other to reframe. Sansa is going through puberty and using a man with clear sexual interest who saved her life, to reframe her ideas about knights, valour, strength, sexuality. The Hound is using Sansa to rethink his views on basic kindness, value of gentleness and beauty, empathy.

Pretty much everyone has sexual fantasies from time to time about people who they actually have no romantic feelings for. Even with friends. It doesn't mean they really want the relationship to be anything other than what it is.

To be frank I don't know for sure. Part of me likes the idea of the Unknight getting the fair maiden (the sad man being finally happy). And,personally, I would love it.

That's cool that you would love it. The only thing they can't really go for is nudity/sex stuff until she's 18 (which she is now). But you don't need that to tell a romance. There's some cool Beauty and the Beast stuff going on, for example.

That's cool that you would love it. The only thing they can't really go for is nudity/sex stuff until she's 18 (which she is now). But you don't need that to tell a romance. There's some cool Beauty and the Beast stuff going on, for example.

I am a romantic by definition and I adore tragic love stories.I Agree about the Beauty and the Beast motif. It is clearly there.

We have to wait and see what path they will take with these characters. I thought myself to accept all the possibilities so I don't get disappointed.

However much I hate the idea, I'm not so sure he's coming back. So far Arya tends to have encounters with characters we come to love (Syrio, Jaqen, Hound) and they just disappear after ambiguous endings.

We have Alex Graves even saying how LSH may not be part of the HBO version, as well as the cryptic "I think the Hound is done" quote. Of course, we can't trust anyone - writers, directors or even Lena H. - but we've seen enough changes to not be surprised if the Hound is left ambiguously absent.

What would be the point of him being alive if not for the sole point of redeeming his honor and finding his purpose, in a truly heroic fashion? Certainly not just to cameo as a distant figure digging graves for one scene, I'd hope

Again, I hope against hope that there are still big things awaiting Sandor Clegane. In fact, my hope rests on how often people call him "Ser", and he always responds with a vicious retort about "not being a knight". He did it with Brienne as well, so perhaps he will find and accept what it means to truly be a knight, and end up saving Sansa or Arya, or killing his zombie brother in a crucial moment.

He's not dead. He will reappear in the show. I'm positive. Him and Gregor will have a showdown.

I didn't think about that at all but yeah, why not?

I will be disappointed that Oberyn didn't "kill that" like he was supposed too!

I think the SanSan people overdo the importance of their feelings TBH.

That's what SanSan people do :)

And I think we would all agree here that this is no actual romance, but something like an unromance.

Like, the elements of a romance are here, the feelings might be, the acts are not.

But that's why SanSan people are so imaginative when it comes to fanarts and stuff.

I don't get into all that parsing of words. I think it's a romance, because it's written like one. A romance starts with a seed that's planted, and grows, there's no hard and fast line that says, now it's a romance.

I think he's coming back, sounded like a Hound vs. Sandor thing in the director interview. Maisie and Rory hinted he'd be fine at Comic Con (also Rory mentioned there might be love). There's another one here:

I know better than to ask if The Hound is dead, but: Can you tease anything about what to expect from Brienne's storyline in 5 now that shes been through this unexpected event?

Benioff/Weiss: You can expect that she'll remain irritated with Pod for some time to come.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/15/game-of-thrones-showrunners-on-season-4-finale-twists/

Why can't he ask, if he's dead, just say so, right? Just clues, could be wrong, I'm just throwing them out there...

. WHAT??? Sandor in my eyes is for sure among the most interesting characters, a hugely fascinating read. I guess you have never read any of my posts about him. I like him not despite but because he is so wretched, so broken and conflicted, I like his darknees, his fatal book infatuation with Sansa enriches the character of that killer who starts out as Lannisters' willing executioner and ends as deconstructed badass. I love that and I would love to see him as someone who offers very intense philosophical questions about religion and hypocrisy.

Well, my bad then. I have read many of your previous post, and now that I think about it, you're quite fond of Sandor .

Lectures from me? I am not within the books! Sandor is fictional, remember, and I am not , he is GRRM's character and gets precisely the lections the author wants to give him and will never hear mine. There is no reason to get personal in your post. If judging a fictional character's actions meant entering Martin's world and "lecturing" a character - that would mean opening a funnily interactive parallel universe. If we did not discuss we could just as well lock the forum.

Huh? It's Martin saying that he was a coward? Well, that one flew right over my head. But what would I know? I wasn't a fine literature major. Amazing what I have just learned. Now that I think about it, the archer to whom Sandor gave the gift of mercy must have been a coward too. Surprised Sandor didn't say, "I don't give the gift of mercy to cowards. Oh, wait, shit, I am coward, so I'll give it to you." Well, it would have been nice if Sandor had said that, since I am just too dense to pick up on all the hints.

Archived