Transitioning from the books to the show [possible spoilers]

mrwho995

Hi. I just finished watching GoT season 4 and have no intention of waiting another 10 months to find out what happens next! I've bought Feast and Dance part 1 and 2 and I'm wondering what I will need to know before starting to read Feast. I already know that in the books, Sam hasn't returned to Castle Black yet, but is there anything else major I should know before delving into the books? Thanks in advance.

Start from Book 1 or don't start the books at all... You will only confuse yourself I promise. The show has deviated enough from the books that you can't just dive into book 4 and expect to understand what's going on. Trust me.

:agree:

I almost did the same thing after season 3 but I thought better of it. Trust me you want to start at GoT. Otherwise, you'll end up with A LOT of questions.

Lots of "Wait didn't this guy die already?" and "Wait isn't he supposed to still be alive" and lots of little details. Tyrion asking where do whores go and thinking about "the chain" will be foreign ideas to you if you've only watched the as will a lot of Jon Snow's and Dany's storylines.

Yeah, to reiterate what the previous posters said, start with A Game of Thrones (book one) if you are serious about reading the series.

After Season Two, I bought A Storm of Swords (book three) and got about 150 pages before I threw in the towel due to complete confusion. There is just so much more going on in the story than what is displayed on screen, and certain situations can differ from the HBO series entirely.

I ended up buying the first book and really enjoyed reading through the first three novels. Although the task can seem daunting due to page number, it really is a fantastic read and you'll likely be more than happy to get the full story.

Thanks for the replies. Everyone says how much better the books are than the shows, and I don't doubt it for a second because books are always better than the on-screen adaptations, so I'll probably start from the start as you guys suggest.

Archived