[Book Spoilers] The Hound

Exar0s

What a scene! It has been awhile since I read the book but the show version of the "Hounds" death and being left to die was amazing.

That being said, I've always believed in the idea that the Hound is the large man, cloaked and limping when Brianne (sp?) is questioning the priest.

Two things I noticed about this scene:

1 - The Hound does indeed have a huge wound to his leg that they make sure to show off.

2 - When asked if he will die he replies "Unless there is a Mastor behind that rock, then yes, I'm done"

Does anyone believe this scene supports the idea that the Hound is indeed found and saved by the church? If so, what is his end game as a wounded warrior?

• 3 weeks later...

I think TV wise they've put him on the shelf by leaving his death ambiguous. They may not intend to use him, but he's there in case they want to bring him back later. In that case they can have some dialogue about Sandor being found by a begging Brother. After all he was last seen in the Vale, which makes him a possible person to interact with Darth Sansa's new storyline.

Just because it's not in the books doesn't make it filler. This amazing scene we're all talking about: was that filler? If you think it was, perhaps you should pull out a dictionary and look up filler.

In the books it was left ambiguous as to whether the Hound died, but it seems as if he probably did - at least until you seem to perhaps come across him later.

Here, I think it's even more ambiguous. In the books, the Hound had a wasting infection and could no longer walk. That's a death sentence. In the show, both Arya and Sandor say that he's dying, but neither of them is a dr/maester/septon, and neither a 15' fall from a cliff nor a bitten-off ear is invariably fatal.

My money says we see him again.

Just because it's not in the books doesn't make it filler. This amazing scene we're all talking about: was that filler? If you think it was, perhaps you should pull out a dictionary and look up filler.

In the books it was left ambiguous as to whether the Hound died, but it seems as if he probably did - at least until you seem to perhaps come across him later.

Here, I think it's even more ambiguous. In the books, the Hound had a wasting infection and could no longer walk. That's a death sentence. In the show, both Arya and Sandor say that he's dying, but neither of them is a dr/maester/septon, and neither a 15' fall from a cliff nor a bitten-off ear is invariably fatal.

My money says we see him again.

"In general, a filler is something that is used to fill gaps."

Since Sandor Clegane does not appear in books 4 & 5 (except if you believe in and count the GD theory) if D&D decide to put him in could that not, by definition, be considered "filler"?

Regardless, I certainly hope you're right and we do see him again and soon!

"In general, a filler is something that is used to fill gaps."

Since Sandor Clegane does not appear in books 4 & 5 (except if you believe in and count the GD theory) if D&D decide to put him in could that not, by definition, be considered "filler"?

Regardless, I certainly hope you're right and we do see him again and soon!

Well it could be filler, but not by definition.

Rory McCann for President. The Hound is interesting in the books, but I don't think he's one of my top 10 faves. In the show, he's right up there at or near the top, and went out (at least temporarily) in a blaze of glorious scene-stealing.

Yeah I agree that they are just keeping it ambiguous, but I hope so much that he comes back. Or the maester comment may just have been a sly thing to annoy certain readers haha e.g. when show cersei said to Tyrion 'they said you lost your nose, but it's not as gruesome as all that.'

I also agree with what some are saying that if he is still in it, it may be different. For example, there may be some form of Sansa meeting, whether he's still lying there dying or not. If they do bring him back as the gravedigger it will be one of the rare times that I'm actually happy to have a future book chapter spoiled by the programme.

ps. don't know where on this forum I can rant about stuff like this but MY FRIEND MET RORY MCCAN AND DIDN'T KNOW WHO HE WAS. Can we cry together about this wasted opportunity?!

I agree he needs to have more scenes. McCann has done an outstanding job as the Hound and took the character to a different place than the books. It would not surprise me at all of they are able to get two more seasons out of his character somehow.

Yeah since the show are trying to round it up and conclude the story regardless of GRRM and are going off track a bit with writing, I think it would be a good use to have Rory come back to do something- like fight ungregor- whether that's his fate in the books or not.

*cough* or Sansa's shield when she's queen of the north *cough*

• 2 weeks later...

I had to sign up just to comment on this little topic. It's been bugging me.

First up, I got into a debate on YouTube about Arya in the TV series being a villain - which I believe must be true if she really has abandoned Sandor. I don't know what the book says, but as far as the tv show goes, it's the only thing that makes sense.. unless:

1. The Hound, ashamed of his fight with Brianne and deciding that really he had nothing left to offer Arya - the only person in his life he has ever cared about - exaggerates the severity of his wound. He means to commit suicide because there's nothing left in his life.

2. Arya knew exactly where the church was and visited it just after she left Sandor; she pays the monks/priests (or whatever they are) with Sandor's gold and tells them to help him. Cut to Arya boarding a ship for Bravos.

Option number 2 is IMO the best, because it could be said that Arya both took her revenge against Sandor and saved his life at the same time.

Option number 3 is Arya is evil, the story falls apart and I lose interest. Not good.

The Brienne fight never happened in the books, just put that aside.

Sandor and Arya were both in the same boat, missing the people they lost (for Sandor, that was Sansa, and for Arya, that was her family) but heading in different directions (love was driving him, hate was driving her).They both put on a tough guy act so no one would hurt them again. For him, he wanted to be the fierce Hound after his brother burned him. For her, she wanted to be "no one" because it hurt too much to be Arya.

He couldn't keep his act up anymore, but she was just getting started with her act. That's why they seemed so different in the end. He was all bark and no bite. She was losing her "pack" again (just like Gendry and Hot Pie and the others). In the books she called him Sandor then thought if she just rode off, she wouldn't have to kill him. She made up an excuse (you should have saved my mother) and left.

So she wasn't being evil, she was just really messed up. Sandor understood, though.

Given the Hound is the Gravedigger on the Quiet Isle, I'm sure we'll see more of him in the future, whether we wait or he gets some filler scenes. I figure we'll wait.

Welcome to the forum, BrandX. I see Arya as an agent of revenge for the Starks at this point, books and show. In the show, she meets the Hound at the Inn at the Crossroads. They deeply affect one another. She began her journey to be a grayer character when Ned was killed. The Hound began his journey to become a 'lighter shade of gray', arguably, when Ned was killed. Arya is not a straight up 'evil' character. She has been deeply affected by what has happened, and given her nature, she needs to act, to exact the revenge she wants. It is troubling to see, but to me, understandable. ShowHound has been watching out for her, and she has learned from him. Mostly, the Hound acts as 'the truth', the one who understands the world they live in. For both Arya and Sansa, he helps open their eyes. Each Stark sister sees him differently though, because they have different world views.

Right now, I think Arya and Sansa are working on their destinies; who they will become. I don't think they're lost to the 'dark side' forever. And eventually, Sandor Clegane will resurface back in Sansa's story, at least. She has a date with destiny with him. One in which both of them will be happy to see each other.

"Get her a dog, she'll be happier for it."

"At least I'd have one happy memory."

I would love to see that, too, I always figured it would be like the Brienne and Elder Brother scene, sobbing about Jaime almost every other word, for him it would be Sansa Sansa Sansa. Plus he was feverish so he'd have loose lips. I also am hoping Stranger walks up soon and he grabs a bottle of wine from his saddle bag and gets sloshed. I like that they showed a bonding moment with Stranger, hopefully that was so when we see the horse again, we'll know his master is there.

Archived