[Book Spoilers] The Hound

Exar0s

I'm thinking Arya ended up not killing him was because it was The Hound on her hit list, not Sandor Clegane, and she was seeing the differences between them on a subconscious level. She even started calling him Sandor in the books iirc. Bringing Sansa back into the mix, all three of their arcs have them needing to hide behind a persona either as training or for survival.

I just love the chemistry between Rory and Maisie on the show...call it wishful thinking, but I desperately want to see some funny moments from Sansa (Sophie) as well, either with Rory or Peter.

I'm thinking Arya ended up not killing him was because it was The Hound on her hit list, not Sandor Clegane, and she was seeing the differences between them on a subconscious level. She even started calling him Sandor in the books iirc. Bringing Sansa back into the mix, all three of their arcs have them needing to hide behind a persona either as training or for survival.

I just love the chemistry between Rory and Maisie on the show...call it wishful thinking, but I desperately want to see some funny moments from Sansa (Sophie) as well, either with Rory or Peter.

Well they had a Sansa - Tyrion funny moment in season 3 - it was out of place IMO.

Sansa's best chances for funny moments are with Sweetrobin. I can't see anything funny being in store for her and Sandor when they meet again. Between her and LF, even less so. And I don't think Myranda Royce will be in the show, though I'm still holding my hope for Mya or at least some composite/original character to replace them.

Sandor is pretty funny, don't know why there couldn't be something funny with Sansa. I thought he was funny in some of their book scenes, like, you like true knights, do you like true wine, that was funny. He was always going there with the innuendo, maybe she does it, too, tops him, that would be funny.

I think a show is better when they lighten up occasionally, the books did. Dany and Daario, that could be considered a light moment, I liked the scene, they were both playing up the seduction, they may have overdone it, because people thought she was using him, whereas in the books, she's crazy about him.

Sandor is pretty funny, don't know why there couldn't be something funny with Sansa. I thought he was funny in some of their book scenes, like, you like true knights, do you like true wine, that was funny. He was always going there with the innuendo, maybe she does it, too, tops him, that would be funny.

I think a show is better when they lighten up occasionally, the books did. Dany and Daario, that could be considered a light moment, I liked the scene, they were both playing up the seduction, they may have overdone it, because people thought she was using him, whereas in the books, she's crazy about him.

I think the Hound is pretty funny too. I have always had a soft spot for smart asses. And Sandor is a bit of a smart ass. I thought it was funny when he said "You're like one those birds from the Summer Isles aren't you". Was it a dickish thing to say to Sansa? Absolutely. It was a really inappropriate comment. Too bad it was funny.

Although Sansa is normally the courteous little lady, when she gets mad she can get pretty snarky herself. The dialogue between her and Sandor could be pretty funny.

I think the Hound is pretty funny too. I have always had a soft spot for smart asses. And Sandor is a bit of a smart ass. I thought it was funny when he said "You're like one those birds from the Summer Isles aren't you". Was it a dickish thing to say to Sansa? Absolutely. It was a really inappropriate comment. Too bad it was funny.

Although Sansa is normally the courteous little lady, when she gets mad she can get pretty snarky herself. The dialogue between her and Sandor could be pretty funny.

I agree. Sansa could snark right back, and he's this big bad warrior, and he's just taking it. In fact, asking for it. I think they both liked the back and forth going on between them more than quite a bit.

And then later she's lonely at the Eyrie and says there are "no hounds to bark and growl" - little bird is his pet name for her, but she's also a she-wolf, the lady wants a little excitement, I think.

But with Sandor in whatever state of mind he is after the near death/stay at Quiet Isle i.e. whatever its equivalent in the show is? I don't know, I'd be surprised if he's a barrel of laughs the next time we see him. Though you never know.

But with Sandor in whatever state of mind he is after the near death/stay at Quiet Isle i.e. whatever its equivalent in the show is? I don't know, I'd be surprised if he's a barrel of laughs the next time we see him. Though you never know.

Well, I certainly think the Hound has some issues he needs to fix. But, I certainly hope he doesn't lose his sense of humor, even if its a bit cynical and dark. I don't think he needs to talk like a septon to be a good guy.

But, I don't know how he will turn out. I am afraid of making too many predictions. I can only hope, I guess.

Well, I certainly think the Hound has some issues he needs to fix. But, I certainly hope he doesn't lose his sense of humor, even if its a bit cynical and dark. I don't think he needs to talk like a septon to be a good guy.

But, I don't know how he will turn out. I am afraid of making too many predictions. I can only hope, I guess.

I certainly hope he doesn't lose his personality, his blunt attitude or dark humor. I'm just saying, I don't know in which state he will be the next time we see him? If he is calmer and not so angry/traumatized/nihilistic/aggressive but retains all the appealing traits of his character - I don't know, it seems a bit too neat. It's like wishful thinking, and I can't see it in this series. GRRM (under assumption they're following his story) likes to pull the rug under us.

I certainly hope he doesn't lose his personality, his blunt attitude or dark humor. I'm just saying, I don't know in which state he will be the next time we see him? If he is calmer and not so angry/traumatized/nihilistic/aggressive but retains all the appealing traits of his character - I don't know, it seems a bit too neat. It's like wishful thinking, and I can't see it in this series. GRRM (under assumption they're following his story) likes to pull the rug under us.

Oh, please, allow me to engage in my wishful thinking. Why do you have to ruin my fantasies with a dose of reality?

Just kiddin. You might be absolutely right.

A person doesn't change into another person because he was injured and healed. He's not getting a lobotomy or neutered on the Quiet Isle. His humor was there to the end. Why would it suddenly go, because he had a nice rest. That makes no sense.

Here's my favorite clue, apart from the others, he's not one of them:

Way down at the far end, well away from the other animals, a huge black stallion trumpeted at the sound of their voices and kicked at the door of his stall.

• 2 weeks later...

A person doesn't change into another person because he was injured and healed. He's not getting a lobotomy or neutered on the Quiet Isle. His humor was there to the end. Why would it suddenly go, because he had a nice rest. That makes no sense.

Here's my favorite clue, apart from the others, he's not one of them:

I agree. I look at Sandor's current situation in the story to be that he recently hit absolute rock bottom and now he's taking a time-out on the Quiet Isle to decide just how he wants to bounce back. He will no longer be "The Hound" but he needs to figure out just exactly who "Sandor Clegane" will be going forward. Undoubtedly, some of the old traits will still be there though ;)

I agree. I look at Sandor's current situation in the story to be that he recently hit absolute rock bottom and now he's taking a time-out on the Quiet Isle to decide just how he wants to bounce back. He will no longer be "The Hound" but he needs to figure out just exactly who "Sandor Clegane" will be going forward. Undoubtedly, some of the old traits will still be there though ;)

I hope so! On the show he doesn't have the Saltpans thing hanging over him, but he does have the price on his head. He has to get around that somehow. And he's so recognizable, being a huge guy with scars and all.

Sorry I'm late to the discussion folks!

I would love there to continue to be Sandor scenes, it would be great to see his delirious babbling to the EB about birds. Unfortunately the realist in me feels this will not happen with so much ground to try and cover with other characters.I hope they at least get the gravedigger scene in because its a great speech about the duality of The hound and Sandor and I would love to see Sandor flinging dirt in people's faces.

Oh how I love Sandor flirting! With smooth moves like that, how could a lady resist.

I think with the way the books are going, it would be funny to see Sansa flinging herself at Sandor straightaway, or try and seduce him and him just not getting the hint.

As an unrelated but incredibly important aside, where the hell did Stranger go in that scene?! They can't leave that unresolved.

His character in the show has been toned down quite a bit as well, so I don't see any drastic changes to his personality if he comes back but it's a wide open question even in the books. Rory's pretty coy when being questioned about it and understandably so, because spoilers.

As much of a SanSan shipper I can be at times, I still see her dealing with Tyrion on some level, and and maybe some of his snark will rub off on her before she meets up with Sandor again. The show has that marriage much less hostile than it is in the books, but either way it still looks more like a husband and wife bromance at best.

The show has finally reached a point where it could potentially spoil some of the story lines in the book, but what's up with Sandor/The Hound is one of the biggest teases in both. I still see his comeback as being much the same as he was before, but with a slight limp and minus an ear Hopefully most of his rage and bitterness will be gone as well but I can still see him getting angry and unpleasant at times.

His character in the show has been toned down quite a bit as well, so I don't see any drastic changes to his personality if he comes back but it's a wide open question even in the books. Rory's pretty coy when being questioned about it and understandably so, because spoilers.

As much of a SanSan shipper I can be at times, I still see her dealing with Tyrion on some level, and and maybe some of his snark will rub off on her before she meets up with Sandor again. The show has that marriage much less hostile than it is in the books, but either way it still looks more like a husband and wife bromance at best.

I'm not sure what you mean by that? Tyrion is on another continent. She's unlikely to meet him again for a long time, and if she meets him again, it's far more likely to happen only long after she's met Sandor again, since Sandor is right there in the Vale in the show/very close to the Vale in the books.

I'm not sure what you mean by that? Tyrion is on another continent. She's unlikely to meet him again for a long time, and if she meets him again, it's far more likely to happen only long after she's met Sandor again, since Sandor is right there in the Vale in the show/very close to the Vale in the books.

Good point, and I agree with what I've read of the foreshadowing that she's much more connected to Sandor than Tyrion...something I would prefer myself. I just don't think Tyrion is completely out of the picture yet, and I'm still scratching my head with what GRRM and the show has up their sleeves on their marriage in the first place. I do think the show puts her marriage to Tyrion in a much more positive light than the books tho.

Wild guess on my part, but I based Tyrion popping up mostly on the Bloody Gate being closed for the winter, so anyone coming in from the outside will be coming in by boat. Whoever comes to shore is anyone's guess

Don't want to derail this thread, since it is about Sandor/Hound. Haven't heard of any Rory sightings yet from leaked cast info, but we can always hope.

Good point, and I agree with what I've read of the foreshadowing that she's much more connected to Sandor than Tyrion...something I would prefer myself. I just don't think Tyrion is completely out of the picture yet, and I'm still scratching my head with what GRRM and the show has up their sleeves on their marriage in the first place. I do think the show puts her marriage to Tyrion in a much more positive light than the books tho.

Wild guess on my part, but I based Tyrion popping up mostly on the Bloody Gate being closed for the winter, so anyone coming in from the outside will be coming in by boat.

Well, if the show is following the books, Tyrion isn't likely to be anywhere near Westeros for a long time, since he seems likely to be in Essos throughout TWOW, based on what GRRM said (spoiler for TWOW) -

that Tyrion and Dany will only meet late in TWOW.

Anyway, the show making Tyrion and Sansa friendlier isn't surprising, they don't like too much conflict between "good guys" who the audience is supposed to find sympathetic. So, for instance, Robb and Cat never find out about Sansa's marriage and don't get to be furious at Tyrion and Robb doesn't get to say he will kill him; Margaery (not that she is good, but I get the impression they expects us to like her) continues acting like she actually gives a shit about Sansa even after the plot to marry her to her brother fails; Margaery has a positive opinion about Tyrion and even thinks he is handsome (?!); Dany never mentions anything about Usurper's Dogs; Jorah mentions Ned to Dany in a positive context; Stannis, who I guess we're supposed to like now that he's come to save the NW, is full of respect for Ned, and he's also never mentioned that he didn't like Ned, which is one of the first things he does in ACOK; heck, they've even made Tyrion and Jaime remains best bros...

Don't want to derail this thread, since it is about Sandor/Hound. Haven't heard of any Rory sightings yet from leaked cast info, but we can always hope.

If Rory appears at all this season, it will probably be shot indoors and kept very hush-hush. (If he returns next season, probably the same.) We usually only find out about cast members returning because 1) they announce it on Twitter or take photos with other cast members on set, 2) they are spotted on set while shooting outdoors, or 3) it's mentioned in official material like press releases etc.

Oh how I love Sandor flirting! With smooth moves like that, how could a lady resist.

I think with the way the books are going, it would be funny to see Sansa flinging herself at Sandor straightaway, or try and seduce him and him just not getting the hint.

As an unrelated but incredibly important aside, where the hell did Stranger go in that scene?! They can't leave that unresolved.

That would be very funny! :lol: Thoreau: "Happiness is like a butterfly; The more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder." Or fling itself at you.

They didn't allow horses where they were filming... We can pretend he's right there somewhere. Faithful Stranger.

Wild guess on my part, but I based Tyrion popping up mostly on the Bloody Gate being closed for the winter, so anyone coming in from the outside will be coming in by boat. Whoever comes to shore is anyone's guess

I think their marriage was put in there as plot armour so that LF can't marry Sansa off straightaway. Unless Tyrion (or Sansa) dies then they are going to have to address their marriage someday. There is so much forshadowing and symbolism around Sansa and the Hound in the books that there has to be more to come. Its a shame the show couldn't have snuck a few more of those little gems from the books for us to spot.

It is a shame. I did see some interesting show gems this season (not as good as the books, but a few subtle hints). I do think they are going there with the book story eventually, some of the things they did make very little sense otherwise. Made me feel a bit better about Sweetrobin's fate, too, if I'm reading it correctly.

Archived