Balanced review of Stannis [Book Spoilers]

zaphodbrx

Maybe I should have rephrased that as "Jon sees Stannis as the best of a bad bunch" :P I don't have access to ADWD right now but I know there's some reference later on in ADWD to Jon thinking it shouldn't really matter to him Stannis wins or not, but somehow it did.

He says it because he wants the Lannisters and Boltons destroyed, not because he truly cares about Stannis' right to the Iron Throne. It really is a "best of a bad bunch" situation.

Maybe I should have rephrased that as "Jon sees Stannis as the best of a bad bunch" :P I don't have access to ADWD right now but I know there's some reference later on in ADWD to Jon thinking it shouldn't really matter to him Stannis wins or not, but somehow it did.

Indeed. From their first interaction Jon loses any love he may have held for Stannis after the Robb comment, but nonetheless Stannis is the only king to come to the Wall, the only king to express an interest in stopping the Others, and serves as a proxy by which Jon can get all his feelgoodz as Stannis defeats the Boltons, so he does come to view him as the best candidate out there and goes out of his way to help him.

Hopefully they can portray that.

just found this quote from kit harrington on jon snow meeting stannis for the first time. it's hard to discern if this is his interpretation of it or he's been told this but i'm sure this insight will set the tone for future interactions with jon and stannis on the show.

Wait, really? Because unlike Sam Jon always calls Stannis 'His Grace' in his thoughts.

If they know him at all, its usually 'guy with the red witch'.

but that's who he is at this point of the story. he never would have made it so far without the red witch. however, i think it's very telling that she's not with him in battle. this is when stannis shows what he can do without her and i don't think he'll regret her not being present.

he does say that somehow it did. i don't think jon does not like stannis or even that he's indifferent to him. there is an understanding between the two and they respect one another. but neither will let the other stand in their way. i definitely think jon thinks stannis is the best of the bad bunch and i doubt knowing about dany would change his opinion about that, but i'm just speculating about that bit. :P

It's funny that Melisandre rides into battle beside him in the book but I know this would have caused absolute meltdown if it had been on the show.

actually i meant into the battle for winterfell. i think stannis is really showing his strength here and will be victorious, regardless of what any letter states.

actually i meant into the battle for winterfell. i think stannis is really showing his strength here and will be victorious, regardless of what any letter states.

Oh right. I'm just prickly because I've seen so many people saying it was fantastic that Mel was not by his side at the battle so I jumped in with both feet, sorry! :blushing:

It's interesting that he really looks out for the count (again) at the end of ADWD but then he is as strong as we've ever seen him in the Theon chapter in TWOW. All my favourite Stannis stuff - prologue for ACOK and actual arrival at the Wall excepting - happen from this point onwards so I'm so excited for his S5 storyline.

Just please, for the love of fuck, cut the evil Stannis music, we get it D&D, you guys jerk each other off for disliking Stannis, but does the show have to be written in such a biased manner? God damn. I hate these assholes.

Just please, for the love of fuck, cut the evil Stannis music, we get it D&D, you guys jerk each other off for disliking Stannis, but does the show have to be written in such a biased manner? God damn. I hate these assholes.

D&D are composers now?

It's funny that Melisandre rides into battle beside him in the book but I know this would have caused absolute meltdown if it had been on the show.

Probably, although setting Varamyr's eagle on fire was the second coolest moment of the battle in the books (after the soldiers' war cries).

Probably, although setting Varamyr's eagle on fire was the second coolest moment of the battle in the books (after the soldiers' war cries).

Well, it looks like they will be casting Varamyr next season, so we could still get that scene.

When will people learn there is no balance when it comes to Stannis? Pick a side.

Uh, no. Not all of us have convinced ourselves that there is some evil conspiracy against his character by the writers. Some of us actually think that they do a good job of showing his best moments and his foibles.

Mel was originally in the battle and burnt an eagle but it must have been cut. Catrice conformed this in an interview. Maybe we will get a deleted scene of it.

Its great to see hundreds of show watchers on Facebook and youtube commenting how they know love Stannis.

I can't find the interview. I think it was on Winteriscoming.net. She takes about filming and burning a bird. I think she mentioned an eagle.

She would most likely be burning the owl from Episode 9 that the Warg was using then. I'm ok with it being cut. The battle is meant to be Stannis's and Davos's moment.

Archived