[book spoilers] Post your reviews for season 4

igrewupinKL

This is my review of episode 10

What i liked:

- Stannis/Jon interaction

- Arya scenes, although its like the hound took forever to die

- Brienne/Hound fight although i am against them even meeting

- cersei/tywin scene was good, although out of character, but since Tywin was dying that episode they could afford to make Cersei more stupid than usual

- Bran/bloodraven conversation though a little disappointed with the makeup for bloodraven. Spent too much CGI on the skeletons that they didn't interweave him in the tree as much as i would have liked.

- Melisandre glaring at Jon

- Aemon's funeral speech/ burning of Grenn and Pyp

- Dany scenes this week were good. Emilia showed proper emotion when chaining up her children and bonus points for finally saying Drogon's name

- Shae's death

What i didn't like

- Stannis' 'rescue'. wasn't really a rescue, didn't feel it at all. where were all the people for christs sake. i excepted thousands of wildlings to flee and they didn't show that at all. not to mention Mance's sudden interest in being Ghandi and not going out and fighting. plus useless toasts could've been removed to talk about the horn of joramun, to increase the urgency of needing someone like Stannis to rescue the watch. Gods dammit this scene was disappointing. i feel like ep9 should've been extended to include this part and it would've made it more exciting.

- Cersei/Jaime. WTF Jaime is supposed to reject Cersei. Where are they trying to go with this? its all over the place and really badly written. They do it in the kingsguard tower no less, the only place where Jaime feels a little honour in.

- Tyrion. Okay so the Jaime/Tyrion moment was cute an all but was missing a vital conversation! i thought they would definitely include that with the story being told in season 1 and Cersei just having manipulated Jaime into sex. Then i thought Tyrion might ask Tywin about Tysha, but nope. Really disappointed that one of Tyrion's crucial character moments was rushed and missing vital lines/dialogue. and we didn't get 'wherever whores go'. Whats up with d&d taking out fan-favourite lines this year? we didn't get 'only cat' and now we've lost this too. I'm not one for worrying about changes from book to show, but when they adapt it so poorly i have reason to complain.

- I wanted to see the Mountain screaming in pain. not laying there just chillin'

- Why the F did Jon go beyond the wall by himself. why didn't the wildlings kill him? in fact where did the wildlings go? in the book Jon takes 10 men just to allow the NW men to take their vows in the weirwood grove. I think they only did this so that Bran can see this through the weirnet in season 5

- No Yara, no setup for the ironborn

- No setup for Dorne

- How dare they kill Jojen Reed in such a way. that whole scene lacked music and drama. And i would have preferred extras being wights than those fake looking skeletons that seemed to have brains and muscles. although who am i to question magic. Seriously they could have saved on CGI

- didn't really like the design of tCotF. looked pretty normal to me. they are supposed to look almost like another species/animal. The cave was pretty awesome though

- All in all this episode lacked build up for most of the storylines except Bran, Arya and Tyrion.

Season review

Honestly, this season was lacking something, most of the big moments i was looking forward to were rushed or not executed properly. I felt attention was paid to minor characters (which on the whole i enjoyed but badly placed) in a series that can't afford to waste time on plots that are not vital to the story of the main characters (and by main i mean POVs)

I also feel that the LSH reveal would have been better placed at the end of this season rather than off putting it to season 5. by then 2 and a half seasons will have passed since Catelyn was on the show.

Also there has been a mismatch in the writing of the show. the character arcs aren't running smoothly mainly for Jaime and Cersei. They could've done so much better with giving their characters justice. For instance they could have Jaime love Cersei at the start and then make him realise what she's become and that she doesn't truly love him and have him reject her at the end of the season. Instead we almost got the opposite, get Jaime being rejected by Cersei and then a whole season of Jaime being incestuous, and frankly not giving enough of a shit about it.

I think the watchers on the wall episode, was by far the best episode of the season. It should've been placed earlier though, in episode 8. i know that ruins the whole structure of having a big ep 9 moment but who cares. The show needs to change this in the future anyway. there's not much chance they're going to fit in the battle of Mereen next season, and that by far is the biggest battle they'll do until the battle of dawn itself. Jon shone this season, and his supporting cast was one of the best. The portrayal of the wildlings was really good this year, i enjoyed the fact that they didn't water it down. i even enjoyed the Craster's Keep adventure, i thought it was well executed and found myself enjoying that scene.

Pedro Pascal nailed Oberyn as a character, he pretty much saved the season along with Peter Dinklage as Tyrion. Although they messed with some of Tyrions big character moments, his character was played very well in the preceeding scenes to ep10. I don't think they utilised Oberyn enough, i wanted to see a few more scenes with him along with more stories.

I'm so confused still, how Arya and the Hound got away from the bloody gate without questions. It's just so stupid to think LF wouldn't want to know about it just because Lysa is dead. Robin is still her family....I enjoyed the Hound v Brienne fight and understand that they had to do something with her arc, but i would've preferred if she'd never met the Hound. I would've preferred Brienne fighting Rorge and Biter, since that whole scene with Arya was a waste of time (since the Hound died from wounds from the fight with Brienne not the bite). I would've placed the scene at the Inn later in the season and have the Hound injured from that.

Sansa's big change was one of the moments i also didn't agree with at all. In a packed season i'm not sure why they decided to do this now. It's beyond me. Also undermining Littlefinger along the way. Didn't sit right with me, Although i did enjoy Sophie Turner in her scenes, she was brilliant. The death of Lysa Arryn was underwhelmed by the fact she didn't reveal she poisoned Jon Arryn on Lf's advice in front of Sansa and also removal of 'only Cat'.

I was as you can see disappointed by many things in the finale, mainly Stannis' rescue and Tyrions big moment. I won't go any further on that just yet, if it comes up in discussion then i will.

So bewildered by the choice to have a army of skeletons attack Bran and Co. Bloodraven, also an underwhelming scene due to the fact that he wasn't part of the tree, and make-up could've been better as well as lighting. Also disappointed with the design of the CotF.

All in all, enjoyable season to watch, but i enjoyed the first part of the season much more than the second part (excluding ep 9) mainly because of the way they messed up character arcs and defining moments. it wasn't so much that they weren't exactly like the books, it just that things were changed for the worst.

• 2 weeks later...

Sansa's big change was one of the moments i also didn't agree with at all. In a packed season i'm not sure why they decided to do this now. It's beyond me. Also undermining Littlefinger along the way. Didn't sit right with me, Although i did enjoy Sophie Turner in her scenes, she was brilliant. The death of Lysa Arryn was underwhelmed by the fact she didn't reveal she poisoned Jon Arryn on Lf's advice in front of Sansa and also removal of 'only Cat'.

Well, at least Sansa is not stupid, dumb and boring any more. Thank gods for small mercies.

Littlefinger in the show has already been established as pretty dumb ( eg. Cersie power is power scene and so on ). So at least it was consistent. My take is that Show-Littlefinger is mainly into whore management rather than politics ( that's why he has no people skills whatsoever ).

This thread took ages to approve and i forgot to check it!

I'm not doing a post on entire season but here are my season 4 recaps and almost each one has short highlights/low points section at the end :) http://cinematiccorner.blogspot.com/search/label/Game%20of%20Thrones%20season%204

Sati you've done an excellent job on the reviews and all the GIFs as well! Do post your review when you're ready!

I think my favourite episodes were 'Oathkeeper' and 'First of his name' and 'Watcher on the walls'

Well, at least Sansa is not stupid, dumb and boring any more. Thank gods for small mercies.

Littlefinger in the show has already been established as pretty dumb ( eg. Cersie power is power scene and so on ). So at least it was consistent. My take is that Show-Littlefinger is mainly into whore management rather than politics ( that's why he has no people skills whatsoever ).

Yeh but by rushing one of her most important arcs they've undermined both her and LF's characters in a way that's unforgivable. I just don't understand why they transformed her so fast it doesn't make any sense for Sansa's character. I think they did it because Sophie looks significantly older than her character now.

I agree with the Jon/Stannis convo/interaction. Hope to see much more of this next season.

Yeh probably the only thing i enjoyed in the finale episode besides Brienne vs Hound

If you could, in future post something for discussion or your own review it would be appreciated :cheers:

Season 4 was for me the first season where the misses/negatives outweighed the hits/positives. In previous seasons we had had additions to the story not in the books, characters added or deleted, but at least IMO it didn't directly impact the overall enjoyment I had as a book reader in watching this show.

However Season 4 might have been the one to cause it to jump the shark. For the first time the plot meandering, changes and outright ommisions really caught up to the adaptation. I had posted a mini summation in another thread, but I'll crosspost it here as well.

Worst of the 4 seasons by far in my opinion. Started strong however by the end, it has driven me from a total show loyalist to questioning whether I am even going to watch Season 5. It has become quite obvious to me that the TV series is (intentionally?) giving the middle finger to book readers. It seems to have gone from a adaptation of GRRM books to D&D's interpretation (to non readers) of GRRM books. It wouldn't be a problem and I could enjoy them for what they are, if the book series was complete, but it is not, I don't want the payoff of GRRM books ruined by D&D's hackneyed treatment of it for people who haven't read the books or those that didn't like them lol (D&D??).

Best Episode: Lion and the Rose. Ignoring the inclusion of Jaime and (especially) Brienne.to the events of Kings Landing. I thought it was the best done of the season. Fabulous (Bolton-RamSnow-Reek) scene. The Purple Wedding,unlike every single other climatic' scene this season was well done and pretty much in line with book. Well done.

Hon. Mention: Two Swords. Give that man his chickens. Best of scene of the entire season, hands down.

Worst Episode: The Mountain and the Viper. The Episode so bad it made transition from forum lurker to poster so I could register my disappointment lol.

The fight scenes? Pretty Cool! Oberyn's Death? One of the very few things that the TV show has done that exceeded the books. I will never watch that scene again yuck!!! The rest? Pure shit! The single worst scene of the season (Hound and Arya at the Bloody Gate), 7 minutes of Beetles instead of 7 minutes of Tyrion and Oberyn doing what the books do and explaining just how evil Tywin Lanister really is (no the TV version does not do him justice). The attack on Mole's Town. Stupid and pointless and took time that ending up screwing up (not leaving enough time) for the natural climax to Ep. 9 which in turn made ep. 10 rushed and ruined Tywin/Tyrion/Shae and left no time (if they had a notion to even do) LSH. I could go on, but Ep.8 set up the failures of Ep9 andEp 10. Though in fairness, it was a culmination of very poor writing and pacing through out the entire season.

Hon. Mention - Watcher on the Walls.

Best Scene: Easy. The Hound and his chickens. The Hound stole nearly (bloody Gate) every single scene he was in this season and this was his moment of glory. WTF is a Lommy?? LMAO!!

Hon. Mention. Bronn and Tyrion. Very touching and well done.

Worst Scene: Quite a few to choose from unfortunately but it has to go to the Bloody Gate. So bad even non book readers were likely left saying WTF.

Hon Mention: 'Jason and the Argonauts'. It was cool for 1963, not so in 2014.

Best Arc: The Hound and Arya. Not much to choose from unfortunately, they drew this out far too long which led to the regrettable Bloody Gate scene, but it was fun to watch the Hound/Arya roadtrip and watch two great performances.

Hon Mention: now we are scourging the bottom of the barrel. Tyrion. Only based on the TV shows attempts to do for him what the books did. Too many misteps and missed opportunities to give more color (including grey!!) to the most fascinating of characters who if D&D had their way would be wearing a white cloak.

Worst Arc: The Wall/The North hands down. Little development in characters and setting in general for all 4 seasons. LIttle time actually spent on it this season before really important things started to happen that even D&D couldn't ignore or whitewash. The payoff was a underwhelming small screen version of what was such a high point for many in the books.

Best by far for me. (I'll do a more detailed one later when I have the time)

This speaks for me. I'm feeling a little inspiration to rewatch the whole season with reviews in mind, but I also believe this season was easily the best. Higher production values, less audience-pandering, consistently crisp dialogue and direction.

@igrewupinKL + @mickyd

Thanks for reading! :)

I thought this season was easily the worst. It's not much worse than 2 and 3 but it was far more infuriating and had way too many missed opportunity and ridiculous, time wasting scenes. I haven't even rewatch last 2 episodes, except for Stannis scene.

I thought some things improved, mainly Kit Harignton's acting who gave one of he better performances this year and the show's way of handling Stannis who had wonderful scenes, still there was not enough of them and if they are not going to have that horse/cart speech in 5x01 I'm gonna be pissed off, but they probably won't since they had that video made with Martin explain why Stannis got to the Wall :/

I liked all of Stannis additional scenes, I thought the trial by combat was done better than in the books - the lack of fist into mouth and the addition of Jaime on the audience was brilliant. I liked The Wall storyline for the first time in the series this year, I very much liked Gwendoline Christie's performance and the pairing of Pod and Bri. I enjoyed the Craster's Keep thing, but this Karl dude or whatever was given way too much screentime for someone about to be killed off. Kit's sword skills continue to be very impressive and I did love that scene where he meets Ghost, I loved we got more direwolves this year, although we didn't get the one we really wanted to see

I disliked Emilia Clatke's acing which was just horrendous except for the finale scenes, the increasing amount of changes that made 0 sene and they were absolutely not justified like 'only cat' change and tysha omission, Sophie Turner is still miscast as Sansa - sounding like smug rich girl in that scene where she talks with Robin (she can be good though, mostly when she is not talking)

I downright hated the way they killed Locke, the fact Stannis didn't arrive in episode 9 and the lack of Stoenheart in finale.

GoT is still my fav thing on TV but for the first year I feel it's simply because there is really nothing better out there currently.

<snip>

@igrewupinKL + @mickyd

Thanks for reading! :)

I mostly agree with your general assessment of the series; agree that its probably the worst season for book readers just because we know how much better it COULD have been so it is really frustrating to see screen time spent on characters that have no impact in the season or overall story.

McKyd The Hound chicken scene was easily one of my favourites too. I only wished they had placed that towards the end of the season, have him injured in the inn fight, then come across Brienne and be weakened in that fight. I absolutely detest the decision to go all the way to the Bloody Gate with no explanation whatsoever as to how they just left ?!?! And i want to forget about their encounter with Rorge and Biter because that was absolutely useless.

- I'd have to disagree about 'Watchers on the Wall'. I thought as a stand-alone episode it was very, very good. The performances by everyone was fantastice including Thorne. And it actually inspired emotion in me when Ygritte died, whereas other episodes fell flat. Of course it would've been improved if ended in Mance's tent so more time could be spent on Stannis' rescue which i didn't like at all.

- I didn't like 'the Mountain vs the Viper' either. Although on first watch the fight scene kept me in suspense and disgust as Oberyn's head popped (lol) at second watch everything else about this episode bothered me. Especially Sansa's sudden confidence and spending SO much time on a talk about beetles (although i enjoyed the scene, it just didn't fit here).

- I actually didn't enjoy Maisie's performance as Arya this year. I know she was playing the 'stone-cold killer' and she does that well, but i just thought it wasn't Arya it was the first time where i felt a disconnect between her portrayal and the character. I think the Hound had a better arc than Arya did. I'm sad to see Rory go

- I did enjoy the Lion and the Rose. the wedding was entertaining because of Cersei. but i definitely didn't get the feeling of a royal wedding (or maybe its because i always imagined it inside) but thats a small nitpick. I wanted it to be longer!

- They seriously stuffed up Tyrions escape...

- I think the worst arc would be Jaime. I'm just so upset that he reverted back to his season 1 character...and his last convo with Tyrion...or lack of...ruined his whole arc pretty much.

- Oh and one of the best scenes was Oberyn and Tyrion in the cells. I just wish they would have given him more screen time

Sati you make some good points. I think that it was the worst season yet, just because of lack of substance. I felt there were big events but no build up or no way of making me invest emotion into the characters.

- Kit was the stand out this season, I also enjoyed the craster's keep adventure. Its practically one of the only changes that was set-up well and executed well. Suspenseful, heart-breaking and a little joyous at the end seeing a sword through Karl's head.

- I don't think they are doing justice to Stannis character. The actor plays him very well. But they don't give him enough screen-time. and i was so looking forward to his defeat of 100,00 wildlings but we got him defeating 100 wildlings. His army looked really awesome, but where was Mances? i know they have a budget but it could have been done without too much CGI. and i don't like that Mance and his close counsel didn't go out fighting.

- I thought they made Brienne out to be much more snarkier and mean than her actual character, but i do enjoy the change. Her and Pod are good together, they'll probably replace the Hound and Arya comedy team

- i'm not going to blame Emilia for her acting, because as you said, when they give her emotional scenes she sometimes nails them. But all they give her are 'put on a queen face lines' or thats how they want her to portray Dany.

- Yes agree with the direwolves

- I thought they could've done without Locke to be honest. But i knew he had to die because (again) they dug themselves a hole by having him there after Bran in the first place.

- Do you really think Sansa is miscast? i know what you mean about her voice but she was a rich girl in Winterfell before she got a reality check. I just don't like how where they've taken her character- its too soon for my liking. And they made LF look really bad.

Lack of Stoneheart is just beyond me. I think i've discussed this in another forum, I don't think we will be seeing Stoneheart in the TV series. She is most likely cut.

And no problem Sati, your blogs were really well done.

Also not a fan of the Darth Sansa stuff. My initial reaction was Yay! She's not stupid and boring any more. But over last week I was rereading AFFC and I really hate how they cut out AFFC altogether and replaced it with some fanfiction. They could have done a lot better.

Not to mention they made Littlefinger look like a moron. Yes, we know TV-Littlefinger majored in whore house management and isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it's kinda bad even for him.

I don't think Turner looks/sounds the part - when it just one of those issues and they light her well and dress her up she is fine - she is very good when she is silent and plays just with her face. But I'm not getting beautiful or interesting from her at all. She plays frightened extremely well but everything else is just borderline unwatchable for me...

As for Emilia doing very well with emotional scenes - to be fair her emotional scene with Jorah's banishment was horrible. Glen was fantastic which only made whatever Emilia was doing look worse

I think it was the best season so far- much better than the past two seasons. The action was bigger, the effects were better, the dialogue and character interaction were spot on and we had some of the best acting we've ever had in the show.

Best of the best:

1. Oberyn Martell - I've never wanted the show to change the outcome from the books so much as when we met Oberyn. Pedro Pascal managed to raise his character far above the source material, and make him into the perfect lover AND fighter.

2. Jon Snow - I think he finally came into his own this season after two not-so-great seasons for his character. He's a different man- he has more confidence in himself, but he's not as foolhardy and hot-headed as he was in years past. He see him growing into his eventual leadership role, taking command when he is needed and making sacrifices when necessary. I thought he really stood out in the last two episodes, and finally made his mark on the show as one of the main characters.

3. Sansa - we finally, FINALLY see her come into her own, taking charge of her life and making her first move in the 'game'. I can say that I finally started rooting for her the moment she turned on the waterworks and twisted the truth just enough to gain the trust of the Vale Lords. It was absolutely great, and I can't wait to see how she progresses.

The worst of the worst:

1. Locke's confusing and anticlimactic end - he was set up in the perfect position to betray Jon in the Night's Watch...then is unexpectedly killed by Hodor a few days later. It really was strange, considering the potential his character had for causing problems in the Night's Watch.

2. The amount of time we spend in Tyrion's cell - this isn't about beetles, this is about the fact that we spend most of our time in King's Landing watching Tyrion talk to people in his cell. The only real standout conversation from this season was Oberyn's talk with Tyrion. Otherwise, some of it could have been cut out completely and the viewers still get the point.

3. The slaughter at Molestown - I still see no reason why this attack should have happened, when the Night's Watch was most definitely there and could have easily warned people and evacuated them to Castle Black.

Things that were blown out of proportion:

Jaime-Cersei sex scene - sorry, I just didn't see why people were so outraged by this. Some people just seemed to be on a witch hunt to find someone responsible for showing what they did...yes, I think he raped her. But in a series full of rape, incest and violence, I just didn't see why this particular scene was the crux of so much outrage.

Best episodes:

1. Watchers on the Wall - this now has a place among my favorite episodes of the series. It was an amazing episode, fast-paced and full of action, surprises and heartbreaking moments. It was the Helms Deep of Television. And that tracking shot was incredible film-making. It also had the best sfx of any episode.

2. The Children - Hit every important moment without feeling rushed or crammed, and had a few surprises for those of us who had read the books. I found myself crying a few times, and fist-bumping a few other times. Loved it.

3. The Mountain and the Viper - Not only did we see Sansa finally come into her own, we also see the fight of the century...with the most gruesome death of the most awesome character this season. It was exciting, yet shocking.

Don't have any "worst episodes", really.

Favorite Scenes (not included in the favorite episodes):

1. Jon vs Karl 'The Fooking Legend' Tanner - I know some people disparaged this fight, but I loved it. Karl was one of the best show inventions we had this season. He was over the top, but oh so fun. His fight with Jon was a great lesson for Jon (which Jon used later on against Styr), and Karl's death was just wonderfully gruesome.

2. The Purple Wedding - Well, Joffrey couldn't go out without offending every single guest at his wedding, and he didn't fail to disappoint there. He was wonderfully evil, and he left a void that will be impossible to fill by anyone else.

3. Jaime bidding farewell to Brienne - this was a beautifully done scene. The looks said more than the words did, and I thought it was incredibly well done by both.

4. We saw the White Walkers! - it was amazing to finally see something of the White Walkers beyond what it is in the books, which is something I fault the book story for. The show seems more determined to keep the WW in our minds, and used the last child of Craster's as a perfect opportunity to introduce us to what the Land of Always Winter looks like.

I would give this season a 9/10 overall, and it's already fast becoming the one that I rewatch the most out of all 4 seasons so far. I am actually very excited for next season despite my indifference to some of the source material itself. I think they will do a great job.

Worst season by far for me. Which is sad, since they had some of the biggest moments of the book to cover. Even the second season was better, and the second book is my least favourite of the series. And it also had the terrible ''Where are my dragons??'' arc.

Biggest problem for me was actually the complete regression of Jaime's character. First we had the problem of him arriving early in KL. There is a reason the book did not do that. Because how Jaime was feeling at the time, first thing he would do is kidnap Sansa and try to get away as far as possible. And Martin did not want that because then Jaime would either die or he would succeed and Sansa would not end up in the Eyrie. Instead we get a scene where Jaime is whining that he can't do anything yet. But it's ok, we have Jaime sparring with Bronn and being supportive of Tyrion!

Then we have Cersei acting terrible, and instead of increased tension between those two we have Jaime raping her for some reason. And then they act like nothing happened and by the end of theseason they love eachother again??

All the work they did in the third season with Jaime just vanished. And the fact that they will probably invent their own storyline for him next season does not fill me with hope.

Tyrion's arc was suffering from inconsistent writing aswell. At the start of this season he hates everyone but Jaime, but the more injustice he suffers the more of a pacifist he becomes? For example when the trial ends, he wants to kill everyone (amazing acting by Dinklage, imo) and in 408 we have that beetle monologue where we are supposed to see he could never hurt a fly? And then of course he kills Shae in self-defense and Tywin because he insulted the whore that tried to kill him?? Where is the logic? Not to mention whithout Tysha he had no reason to go up the stairs.

Dreadfort attack was terrible in all aspects.

Bloody gate scene was the worst in the entire series, apart from maybe the one where Jaime kills his cousin.

Crasters keep was incredibly boring for me (personal preference) and has some logical inconsistencies aswell.

Littlefinger is terrible in the show. He had like no plan what to do when they called Sansa up? How is this guy ''one of the most dangerous men in Westeros''? Beause Varys says so?

The portrayal of Thenns was... interesting, to say the least.

Cersei revealing the incest to Tywin was stupid. If she would reveal the parentage of her children to the world, Tommen would be dead the next day.

There are probably some things I've missed, but these are most of my complaints. There were some good things aswell, but they mostly came from the superb abilities of the actors, not from the writing.

Rory McCann did an amazing job this season and easily carried every scene he was in. This guy deserves an award or something.

Charles Dance was amazing as usual. As were Dinklage and NCW.

The biggest surprise for me was Kit Harrington though. He improved so much (unlike Clarke....) and shined in every scene. i've never cared much about Jon in the books, I was just amazed by him this season.

And Gleeson only had two episodes this season, but he was even more amazing than before in them. I imagined Joffrey completely differently when I was reading the books, but I will never get Gleeson out of my head now when reading about him.

The purple wedding was great, aside from the awkwardness of Jaime and Brienne beeing there (imo). And Dany's scenes were surprisingly well made, though Clarke did a terrible job. Also while many people were complaining about Sam and Gilly scenes, I strangely kinda enjoyed them.

I have a hard time forgiving logical missteps though, and this season had an abundance of them. So for me the bad things greatly overshadow the good ones this season. if I had to rate this season I would give it a 6/10, simply because most of the actors are amazing, even though the writing is inconsistent.

Archived