[book spoilers] Post your reviews for season 4

igrewupinKL

My husband and I read the books. The books didn't have a "better version"... It was practically the same for all intents and purposes, in fact. Not all book readers are blind to the fact that the show can be just as good, if not better, than the books.

In this case it WASNT better than the books, thats what i'm trying to say!

That's correct. It's called opinion, so i don't know why you are trying to argue it

...yet you've done the same thing to every opinion you didn't agree with in this entire thread...which is all about different people's opinions on season 4.

...yet you've done the same thing to every opinion you didn't agree with in this entire thread...which is all about different people's opinions on season 4.

yes i've been discussing things i didn't like with people. I'm not saying you can't share your opinion, you can, but i'm not wanting to focus on this as an adaptation only. Im trying to look at it from a 'is this good television?' perspective.

Obviously i am worried about a couple of omissions from the book, but i also don't think they have created a better version for TV for reasons i have stated

Of course they were. It was the same with tywin's death because they haven't read a better version of the events....However my point is they are just going for shock value and i'm not feeling the raw emotion or suspense because the scenes are always rushed or missing key things that bring the scene magnificence, without them the scene falls flat

ITA.

All the "big moments" of this season were underwhelming. They did not justice to their potential as they did until S3.

• 5 months later...

It was good but the finale really let it down for me. Arya sailing away on a boat as opposed to Lady Stoneheart was just deflating. The Lady Stoneheart reveal was the moment I was most anticipating of this season, I never even considered (or took serious) the idea that it would not be the final scene of the season. Such a MASSIVE missed opportunity!

However, I did enjoy the added scenes with Jon and Bran at Crasters keep. Arya and the Hound were also amusing.

It was good but the finale really let it down for me. Arya sailing away on a boat as opposed to Lady Stoneheart was just deflating. The Lady Stoneheart reveal was the moment I was most anticipating of this season, I never even considered (or took serious) the idea that it would not be the final scene of the season. Such a MASSIVE missed opportunity!

However, I did enjoy the added scenes with Jon and Bran at Crasters keep. Arya and the Hound were also amusing.

Hi DarkHorse, glad you got around to watching it.

The finale was a let down for many Stoneheart fans. Do you think she will be included next season? I really think she has been cut altogether

I just feel like Season 4 was even lacking screen time. Compared to Season 3, the episodes were at least 5 - 10 minutes shorter which made everything seem more rushed because there wasn't enough buildup. The best episode of the season by far was The Lion and the Rose. Overall though, it just seemed like they could have added more content from A Feast For Crows and A Dance with Dragons instead of adding more filler and condensing the shit out of those two novels into Season 5. Two Swords and The Lion and the Rose were a good start. I also wish Lady Stoneheart and the Tysha story would have been in the finale.

Jon: His storyline was a bid spread out too, I think they should have completed his ASOS arc in Season 4 and that Watchers on the Wall should been an earlier episode.

Daenerys: Her scenes in Two Swords, Breaker of Chains, and The Children were overall good, but that's really it. Emilia...please stop making the same facial expression and you act so much better when you're speaking Valyrian. Though, I think Emilia/Dany might be able to redeem herself in Season 5.

Sansa: I enjoyed her storyline this season, however the transition from her in Episode 7 to the end of Episode 8 happened way too fast. There should have been another scene or two, but I'm wondering if she was actually sewing her black dress in that scene where she told Petyr that she knows what he wants.

King's Landing: There was a lot of focus here. It was good overall, even though they spread this storyline out like Wildfire, but if Tywin's death was meant for the finale, I guess you couldn't do much. Pedro Pascal as Oberyn was amazing.

The North: Why did we only see Ramsay and Theon in 3 Episodes? Were D&D just like okay we'll show all his torture, but after that eh...who cares.

Ironborn: Yara could have at least returned back to the Iron Islands sometime in Season 4 and discover Balon to be dead and that her uncles are fighting for the position. Foreshadowing for Kingsmoot.

Arya and The Hound: For some reason, I actually liked that they spread out their storyline because Arya in Braavos in the second half of Season 4 wouldn't have the same impact as I hope it will in Season 5.

Team Dragonstone: Yes, Stannis has really been a bit neglected, yet he really didn't appear in the story between the time that Joffrey dies and him arriving at the wall, so I can't really criticize. However, I don't really like how D&D portrayed him to be overly faithful to Melisandre, especially with burning the people at the stake on the beach.

Brienne: Surprisingly I was a fan of Brienne vs. Hound, but I'm not even sure where her storyline is going if Lady Stoneheart doesn't appear.

I just feel like Season 4 was even lacking screen time. Compared to Season 3, the episodes were at least 5 - 10 minutes shorter which made everything seem more rushed because there wasn't enough buildup. The best episode of the season by far was The Lion and the Rose. Overall though, it just seemed like they could have added more content from A Feast For Crows and A Dance with Dragons instead of adding more filler and condensing the shit out of those two novels into Season 5. Two Swords and The Lion and the Rose were a good start. I also wish Lady Stoneheart and the Tysha story would have been in the finale.

Jon: His storyline was a bid spread out too, I think they should have completed his ASOS arc in Season 4 and that Watchers on the Wall should been an earlier episode.

Sansa: I enjoyed her storyline this season, however the transition from her in Episode 7 to the end of Episode 8 happened way too fast. There should have been another scene or two, but I'm wondering if she was actually sewing her black dress in that scene where she told Petyr that she knows what he wants.

Ironborn: Yara could have at least returned back to the Iron Islands sometime in Season 4 and discover Balon to be dead and that her uncles are fighting for the position. Foreshadowing for Kingsmoot.

I actually agree with everything you just said. Especially the 3 points i've kept in the quote.

Jon's was too spread out making the attack seem rushed at the end as well as Stannis' rescue.

Sansa's transition from pawn to player happened in one episode pretty much. I get they want to move things along but this seemed extremely unrealistic for her to act like that so soon. I wanted to see a gradual growth from Sansa's story but they pretty much just cut out her AFFC arc. And yes, she was sewing that raven dress in ep408 when talking to LF and then flaunted it at the end. I was okay with the way Sansa was going in ep408 up until the point she came down the stairs in that dress, it just cliched the whole thing up for me.

Very disappointed with the lack of Ironborn in season 4, making their appearance in season 5 (except for Yara) very unlikely. I'm hoping they show Balon's death at some point but thats about the extent of what we will get

• 3 weeks later...

I can't wait for season 5 I even bought & read the history book. Yeah I have it bad...LOL

This thread is for discussing and posting reviews for season 4

You can speculate/ share your excitement of season 5 here http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/124672-season-5-casting-news-and-speculation-v-9-show-spoilers-book-spoilers-past-op/

I disagree that the sansa stuff happened in one episode. She's already calling LF out on his BS in episode 4, in episode 5 she lies to Lysa by making herself seem dumb and insignificant even though LF never called her stupid. In episode 7 arguably she does not manipulate anyone but she saw right through LF and asked him for the real reason behind killing Joffrey and in episode 8 she manages to mix truth and lies together...so no, it did not just happen in one episode but that's what happens when one watches these episodes in a superficial manner: things like that fall by the wayside, sadly enough.

You're right she was questioning him in earlier episodes...It's quite one thing to question someone and another to lie and manipulate other people (which is very unlike Sansa) and transform into a whole other person. Especially since she hasn't been doing those things at all for the past 3 seasons, all she did in KL was shut herself out from people and maintain a calm facade. I personally didn't like the way it was done, it would've been better off without the last scene of her walking down the stairs, but of course they had to end her story somewhere dramatic.

btw she was only lying to Lysa because she was going psycho and Sansa was scared not because she wanted to manipulate her.

but i like the insult in you post

Archived