Did Drogon realize that eating Hazzea was wrong?

Panos Targaryen

In ADWD Drogon disappears after eating the shepherd's daughter, wandering in the Dothraki Sea (?). First of all, it's interesting that he disappeared exactly after he ate the girl. Then, we don't hear about any other similar incidents while Drogon was in the wild. Hazzea was the only person that we hear of him killing. Was his disappearance some kind of self-imposed exile? Did he sense Dany's wrath, and realize she was going to lock him up with the other two?

He's a wild animal. Why would he know? No one has ever taught him burning other humans is wrong.

Though I think dragons actually attacking humans in the wild is rare. The wild dragons that used roam on Dragonstone seldom outright attacked people (though they ate their livestock). But of course these kinds of incidents happen. If something irritate or scare a wild dragon it will answer with it's full arsenal.

I don't think Drogon particularly cares about killing the girl. He flies off all the time. He is the most independent of her dragons. If I recall, he used to fly out of sight of the ship which took them from Quarth. As he can now fly ridiculously far, hunt large food and survive on his own, he has no real need to come back, besides family. But that doesn't mean he has to stay with them all the time.

This is possible. Then it's also possible that he moved on to bigger prey (Dothraki, horses). His final lair was deep in Dothraki lands.

I still think the burnt child was a ploy by the Sons of the Harpy to rein in Daenerys and her dragons prior to the Yunkish siege. Having grown up around humans and having had a human 'mother,' I think they were not interested in eating them and only burnt them when commanded by their mama.

I have always had my suspicions that the Child-Dragon story was a part of the Harpy's plot. Not convinced Drogan was responsible. My belief is that since Drogan was not tamed and had grown at more accelerated rate than the other, he just went out to find his own hunting grounds and lair. If he really wanted to eat people he could have just stayed in Mareen. There were lots of people there.

Even though Dany likes to pretend otherwise, those dragons are wild animals. She never taught them not to kill humans and lets them roam quite freely. I'm not sure if a dragon is able to distinguish between right and wrong, and even if he is, I don't think that's the reason disappears.

That said, I think the idea that Hazzea was a ploy from the harpy is really interesting.

i dont think so that they are wild and unable to understand the feelings..

i too have doubts abt the whole thing was masters plot and i even opened a thread for that

look at dragons in quentyn chapter ..they reach out to the women bcoz they think her as their mother and they did not attack them first ..they started to attack after the quarrel was released

we all lead to believe that drogon returned after the crowds and their sounds ...but it could be because he knows danny is in danger and so to save her he returned

I'm not sure if animals are able to understand the consequences of their actions. :D Also, Drogon run away not right after the Hazzea incident - it was at sunset on the night of the third attempt to capture him.

My mistake then. I really need a re-read :p. But he didn't return to Merreen until the pit fights, so I suppose he understood that Dany wanted to lock him up, or that someone was trying to capture him.

This is possible. Then it's also possible that he moved on to bigger prey (Dothraki, horses). His final lair was deep in Dothraki lands.

I still think the burnt child was a ploy by the Sons of the Harpy to rein in Daenerys and her dragons prior to the Yunkish siege. Having grown up around humans and having had a human 'mother,' I think they were not interested in eating them and only burnt them when commanded by their mama.

I thought the same. But the TV series shows an actual human skeleton, as opposed to the ambiguous bones that are described in the books. Now, I know people like to say that the show and the books are different, and I agree. But because the sequence of events from A to B are different, doesn't mean the events A and B are different themselves. The same things happen in both versions of the story, it's just the in-between that is different. If Hazzea died in the series, she died in the books. And the skeleton for me confirms that. If it was a ploy in the books, then they wouldn't confirm Hazzea's death like that in the show. Of course, I could be wrong, and we will be introduced to the Sons of the Harpy in the 5th season, and learn it was a ploy in the show.

I agree it's possible. Animals can't control themselves sometimes (but so can't humans), yet often they seem to realize they did something wrong. Dogs often hide when they do stuff they know they weren't allowed to. When I play with my dogs, they bite my hand, sometimes they get excited and bite stronger than they should and they immediately notice it, stop playing and look at me to see if I'm mad.

I suppose this involves learning. But I'm sure Dany got mad at them when they hurt humans or her. And dragons are supposed to be very intelligent.

They tried to catch him three times so he decided to leave Meereen. There were no further incidents because Drogon didn't mean to kill Hazza -- she just got in the way. Either she got in the way or her father is lying. It was a terrible accident.

The show handles this perfectly: We see Drogon killing the goat but sparring the child in one episode. We are told Drogon killed a girl in another episode.

Archived