[Book Spoilers] I'm not a fan of Bran. There, I said it. Feed my **** to the goats.

I won't argue that the Pirates of the Caribbean/Sinbad skeletons attacking The Brantabulous Five (The Reeds, Hodor, Bran, and Summer) looked feeble and borderline comedic. But I wasn't a fan of Bran anyway so my overall thought during this part was...."Ah, whatever."

Truly, I found the DWD Bran boring. His chapters about learning to become animals and tap into the Westeros tree internet remind me of the young Arthur learning to be an owl or an ant in The Once and Future King.

"Listen to the wind. Breathe like a bird. Walk like an Egyptian."

• 2 weeks later...

Daenerys at least has had some interesting parts of her story. The whole first book/season right up to the dragons hatching was pretty gripping. Even now, when it's bogged down, there are sparks of interests from time to time (sparks, heh, dragons, get it?) like dragons munching babies and exiling traitor Jorah. (Plus, you know, she's super-hot, and that always makes good TV.)

With Bran, there's literally nothing interesting. Dream interp, wow. The last interesting thing that happened to Bran was when Jaime pushed him out the window. I guess you could count the attempted murder, but he slept through that.

Ultimately, you've gotta figure there's going to be a payoff at the end on both those stories.

I thought the Bran material was good in seasons 1 and 2. Season 3 was heavy on Osha and Meera not getting along, which was not very interesting and didn't do anything good for the character development of Osha and Meera. Having Bran intersect more with the mutineers did give Bran's group something to do, but the "we're going to tie this girl up for a while and then we'll decide to rape her just as help arrives" thing wasn't great. I did like Jojen in the captured scene. Bran warging hodor was done really well there, but there wasn't a follow up to Hodor's horror at being violated in that way. Maybe hearing knight of the laughing tree would have been better than what we got, but there is a risk to having a character just stand around telling a long story, particularly when all of the characters in the story are dead and the story raises more questions than it answers. Maybe Bran's story will be more interesting going forward. Hope so.

Bran has already been incredibly crucial to readers of the series as his chapters have informed us of much of the Stark history as told to him by Nan and Luwin. As for the show, it feels like there's pressure to keep him in the episodes so viewers don't forget about him and his scenes sort of disrupt the pacing of the episodes. I think that it would've been fine if we didn't see Bran from the time he sees Jon in Queenscrown to the point when he arrives at Bloodraven's doorstep.

I will say, aside from the history lessons the redeeming quality of his arc was how bad ass Bloodraven was described, and the show really dropped the ball there.

Bran was made boring and useless in the TV show.

In the books, the story is much better.

Part of the problem was removing Coldhands, who made the journey more interesting and believable.

Part of the problem is that child actors can't cover up weak writing in the same way skilled adult actors can. I give the actors a lot of the credit for carrying some of the lazy writing this season.

And part of the problem is that his story is in large part about someone who has become crippled dealing with internal struggles of being crippled...which doesn't translate well to the screen and isn't as "action" as other sections for some readers.

I like Bran's story in the books, not a big fan in the show.

I'm not criticizing Hempstead-Wright's acting, he has been fine, but I think Bran is inherently more interesting in the books because he is a pre-adolescent child. He looks like he's about 22 in Season 4, and that just takes some oomph out of the role in my opinion. I don't know if it's too late to re-cast that role, but he ain't gonna be getting any younger.

At any rate, the Bran arc as we have known it is over, and the Bran material going forward should be very different - hopefully we won't actually see the inside of that boring cave all that much but we'll see Bran involved in interesting stuff on the tree internet, instead. It's going to be difficult to do it well, but if it's done well it has the chance to be great and to go virtually anywhere at any time. For one thing, maybe we can rectify the mistake of not having explained enough about Robert's Rebellion in the show - in the books, you gradually see how much of what is happening now is a result of recent history, and the TV show deserves that, too.

• 3 weeks later...

There'll probably still be a lot of cave stuff. Probably a few scenes establishing that he uses Hodor to move around leading up to showing the Children going all Titus Andronicus on Meera. Thus fully establishing Show Bran as evil when he drinks her blood knowing full well where it came from.

There'll probably be a couple of beetle crushing monologues (hurr hurr) with Meera and Bloodraven in there somewhere too.

I won't argue that the Pirates of the Caribbean/Sinbad skeletons attacking The Brantabulous Five (The Reeds, Hodor, Bran, and Summer) looked feeble and borderline comedic. But I wasn't a fan of Bran anyway so my overall thought during this part was...."Ah, whatever."

Truly, I found the DWD Bran boring. His chapters about learning to become animals and tap into the Westeros tree internet remind me of the young Arthur learning to be an owl or an ant in The Once and Future King.

"Listen to the wind. Breathe like a bird. Walk like an Egyptian."

I found those chapters boring too.

What bothers me , is GRRM setting up some kind of Entmoot for when the Others and their army attacks?

More industrial strength ennui!

Bran's chapters were a bit boring in ASOS compared to everyone else's, but in ADWD when the payoff finally came, I found them the most interesting in the book, besides Theon's.

I agree that it is more believable for him to his show age.

Archived